Hacking Is there a way to modify the Friend List?

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'm curious about whether it's possible to modify the Friend List on the 3DS in ways like changing the layout or at least muting/changing that annoying music that keeps playing... I tend to leave my 2DS on the FL for long periods of time and it's really annoying, but I can't turn the volume down since I'm waiting for certain people to come on and I'm not exactly standing over the console waiting, so I need to be able to hear the notification sound.

Is there any way to do it? Either with a program or modifying the internal files. Where in the system are the FL files located exactly? Is it just one large library file containing everything and if no, will deleting the sound part cause issues? Additionally, if it's possible to modify it, is it also possible to edit the layout a little bit (make it into an actual Friend LIST)?

Using an O2DS with Luma 8.0.

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
You probably don't want to be hanging around on the friend list... Make sure you're not sending system information and what game you're playing, just in case.
You would probably have to dump the friend list, decrypt it, modify it how you wanted (some kind of SDK might be necessary), rebuild as .cia and install.

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You probably don't want to be hanging around on the friend list... Make sure you're not sending system information and what game you're playing, just in case.
You would probably have to dump the friend list, decrypt it, modify it how you wanted (some kind of SDK might be necessary), rebuild as .cia and install.
Why wouldn't I want to be hanging around on the FL? There's literally nothing bad that can happen! As for sending system information, that happens literally all the time you are connected to the internet, not just when on the FL. Also, you can disable the sending of information to Nintendo through the settings and if you do, you can LEGALLY sue them if you get banned, since that's a violation of the law, even if you have breached the EULA. Now, I expect actual replies rather that assumptions, I already know what I'll need to do of sorts, just need to know what I asked in my original post. Finally, if I can dump the data, I can just inject it back in, no CIA needed.

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
Why wouldn't I want to be hanging around on the FL? There's literally nothing bad that can happen! As for sending system information, that happens literally all the time you are connected to the internet, not just when on the FL. Also, you can disable the sending of information to Nintendo through the settings and if you do, you can LEGALLY sue them if you get banned, since that's a violation of the law, even if you have breached the EULA. Now, I expect actual replies rather that assumptions, I already know what I'll need to do of sorts, just need to know what I asked in my original post. Finally, if I can dump the data, I can just inject it back in, no CIA needed.
True...

Reactions: ThoD

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? You most definitely can't sue them for being banned because you turned off data Lol. Their servers are private, they can ban you at any time for any reason. You accepted the EULA before using them, as such you agreed to the terms. They can do whatever they want with their private servers right down to turning them off so you can't ever use them again. Not to mention, they're collecting info from your console whether you share it or not everytime you get online.

That said I think modifying a system app this late in the game is a huge red flag. Obviously do what you want, but if you end up getting a hyperban or something for doing something so obvious I hope you're accepting Lol.

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What? You most definitely can't sue them for being banned because you turned off data Lol. Their servers are private, they can ban you at any time for any reason. You accepted the EULA before using them, as such you agreed to the terms. They can do whatever they want with their private servers right down to turning them off so you can't ever use them again. Not to mention, they're collecting info from your console whether you share it or not everytime you get online.

That said I think modifying a system app this late in the game is a huge red flag. Obviously do what you want, but if you end up getting a hyperban or something for doing something so obvious I hope you're accepting Lol.
I highly doubt you have actually read the agreements when you are saying that... There are too main ones, the EULA and the Information Sending Agreement. CFW violates the EULA, but if you have rejected the ISA and you still get banned, it will mean that Nintendo STOLE your information under international law, so you can sue them for that. What I mean was that if you get banned despite having rejected the ISA, then you have proof that Nintendo committed a cyber crime and you can sue them for it (for WAY more than just a console's worth:P)! They are free to do whatever they want SERVER-SIDE, but console side they can't do anything without violating the law. The collecting of information you mention doesn't happen when you are just using the system, it happens on behalf of Nintendo by the companies who games you are playing online. Nintendo can only collect information about games they publish themselves. Disabling the ISA doesn't prevent that, but it does prevent the general sending of information about your system. Finally, if things were as you said, literally everyone with CFW would already have gotten banned, since Nintendo could very easily just ban everyone if they have the info, but they don't, either because they don't have the knowledge of your console info or, if they do, will get sued to next millennium!

Hyperban would be way too much considering how many others have modified the sleep-screen among other things and haven't gotten banned at all, don't you think so too? It falls in the same category, modifying internal system files, why would one get you a ban while the other won't? Both can be used when online, so I highly doubt a ban will happen if I do it without mistakes.

Now, I need an answer to my questions from the first post. Can anyone answer them? I need to at least disable the FL music completely without disabling the notification sound.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt you have actually read the agreements when you are saying that... There are too main ones, the EULA and the Information Sending Agreement. CFW violates the EULA, but if you have rejected the ISA and you still get banned, it will mean that Nintendo STOLE your information under international law, so you can sue them for that. What I mean was that if you get banned despite having rejected the ISA, then you have proof that Nintendo committed a cyber crime and you can sue them for it (for WAY more than just a console's worth:P)! They are free to do whatever they want SERVER-SIDE, but console side they can't do anything without violating the law. The collecting of information you mention doesn't happen when you are just using the system, it happens on behalf of Nintendo by the companies who games you are playing online. Nintendo can only collect information about games they publish themselves. Disabling the ISA doesn't prevent that, but it does prevent the general sending of information about your system. Finally, if things were as you said, literally everyone with CFW would already have gotten banned, since Nintendo could very easily just ban everyone if they have the info, but they don't, either because they don't have the knowledge of your console info or, if they do, will get sued to next millennium!

Hyperban would be way too much considering how many others have modified the sleep-screen among other things and haven't gotten banned at all, don't you think so too? It falls in the same category, modifying internal system files, why would one get you a ban while the other won't? Both can be used when online, so I highly doubt a ban will happen if I do it without mistakes.

Now, I need an answer to my questions from the first post. Can anyone answer them? I need to at least disable the FL music completely without disabling the notification sound.
Dude their servers aren't console side period, you just have access to them. They can and have the right, to deny you access. That has nothing to do with your personal console, and everything to do with their private service. You can't sue them for banning you period, good luck trying. They can't brick your console remotely, or render it unsuable as per consumer protection laws but they can most definitely suspend you from their online services if they want to. That isn't making your system unusable at all, so they are well within their right. I have read the EULA more than I'd like to admit. I'm not going to banter back and forth as you don't seem to understand the difference between an owned console and a user license for service.

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Dude their servers aren't console side period, you just have access to them. They can and have the right, to deny you access. That has nothing to do with your personal console, and everything to do with their private service. You can't sue them for banning you period, good luck trying. They can't brick your console remotely, or render it unsuable as per consumer protection laws but they can most definitely suspend you from their online services if they want to. That isn't making your system unusable at all, so they are well within their right. I have read the EULA more than I'd like to admit. I'm not going to banter back and forth as you don't seem to understand the difference between an owned console and a user license for service.
As always you don't bother actually reading what I said, but oh well. Here's the explanation:

I NEVER said they can't ban you server-side, I said they can't CONSOLE-side! If they perma-ban you from all services while you have rejected the ISA, you can LEGALLY sue them for unauthorized collecting of personal information. They can do anything they want server side, but collecting console information is illegal! However, user information isn't (eg: eshop). I DO understand the difference between the licenses and I also can tell when someone selectively reads something and tries to reply to it, especially if it occurs repeatedly. Anyway, back to what I was saying, collecting of information when you have denied the agreement if ILLEGAL. Violating the EULA doesn't automatically void the other agreements. Meaning that simply editing/modifying the system doesn't allow them to ban you console side (perma-ban). MAC banning is console AND server side. At most they can give you temporary ban from Nintendo services or ban you completely from them, but not from anything else that uses the internet (eg: browser or playing games online). If they perma ban you while you have rejected the agreement, you can sue them according to international law. It's that simple.

Now, for the love of god, can we just stay on topic people? I just needed a couple questions answered is all...

Engezerstorung

Trophies
XP
Country
France
what he mean too is that if they ban you based on information collected without your agreement you can sue them, because it would be a proof that they have done something illegal, and if they can say why they have banned you without revealing that they have illegaly collected these data i think it would be a bad image to answer "we ban people because we feel like it lol"

Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
what he mean too is that if they ban you based on information collected without your agreement you can sue them, because it would be a proof that they have done something illegal, and if they can say why they have banned you without revealing that they have illegaly collected these data i think it would be a bad image to answer "we ban people because we feel like it lol"
Thanks, my point exactly, just overly simplified. Finally someone who got it!:P

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
you can LEGALLY sue them if you get banned, since that's a violation of the law, even if you have breached the EULA.
Uh, no. You would be rather hard pressed to sue them for data collection considering it still happens even with those settings in the FL disabled. Games and the Activity Log still send data, for example. People are still getting banned even with these settings disabled. You seriously think that they wouldn't be stringent when it came to covering themselves legally? But no, seriously, good luck suing Nintendo.

Last edited by Joom,

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Uh, no. You would be rather hard pressed to sue them for data collection considering it still happens even with those settings in the FL disabled. Games and the Activity Log still send data, for example. People are still getting banned even with these settings disabled. You seriously think that they wouldn't be stringent when it came to covering themselves legally? But no, seriously, good luck suing Nintendo.
What options are you even talking about? I'm talking about the agreement to sending information in the system settings. If you disable that, but you get banned, unless you pirated a game or did something that would cause you to get banned while in a game or while using the eshop, then you can sue them for illegal gathering of information, since they would have no way to get the information otherwise. Almost all the bans so far have been because people pirated games, NOT because they modified their systems. Let's not forget that quite a large number of people have modified the home menu layout, the sleep mode screen, etc. with NO bans whatsoever for as long as they had rejected that agreement.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.