Gaming is there a way to make my house wifi stronger?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
What is your current download and upload speed? That is a very important thing to take in consideration. If the speed is slow, it's not the WIFI but the ISP giving shit internet to blame.

Reactions: Deleted User

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
There are a lot of factors/variables that determines WiFi signal strength. Let's list some!
  • Access Point broadcast strength/frequency
  • Client NIC broadcast strength/frequency
  • Building density/layout
  • Interference on the wavelength (cordless phones, microwaves, other WiFi networks, etc)
  • Which standard of WiFi you're using (a/b/g/n/ac)
  • Distance from client to AP
  • etc
Now you can configure some routers/APs to put more power into their broadcast signal, but this comes at the risk of overheating. You cannot increase the strength of most NICs (WiFi cards/etc) however, so that will be one of your bottlenecks. You can always move closer to the router/AP, but then you might as well use ethernet cables (assuming you're using a PC/laptop). You can always improve speed/connectivity by using a higher WiFi standard, but that means buying new stuff. WiFi signals can penetrate walls to a certain extent (iirc, lower frequencies have higher penetration, but it also depends what's in your walls like lead or steel that can interfere) but more often than not it will just bounce of walls to get from A to B, so keeping your doors open may be an idea. Also if you set your WiFi to a higher frequency (5Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz) then there won't be as much interference from cordless interfaces.

The other way to boost the signal is either to use a WiFi repeater half way between you and the router/AP, or just run a cable to a nearby location (e.g. in your room) and buy another router/AP to share WiFi in your room.

If you want to improve internet speed as @luklands pointed out, that is also determined by several things. Let's list some!
  • Speed from your ISP to your local phone/cable line (base speed)
  • Speed your router/modem is able to handle (effective speed)
  • Speed of your network between your router/AP to your device (actual speed)
  • Speed your device is able to handle (buffer/render speed)
Now the more tech-minded may notice I'm skipping things, but the point is finding the bottleneck that's keeping your speed down.

Last edited by Originality,

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
@Originality hit it on the nail. I couldn't have explained it better. The first thing you want to do is investigate ISP issues. Check with your provider to verify what your speeds are, and run a speedtest. Ookla's test at Speedtest.net is a good start. Check what standards your router and your wireless card/dongle are using. AC is currently the fastest, with speeds generally ranging from 433 Mbits/s to 3.39 Gbits, though 433 to 867 Mbits/s are the more common ranges and should be more than enough for your needs. If you are renting your modem from your ISP, the speeds it supports almost always cover their entire speed range, but you can ask them to verify this. You can try different channels on your router to see if that enhances the signal any, but it's really dependent on where it's located. Some households require a range extender/repeater, though this may not be the case. If you're really baffled, you can call your ISP to have someone come out and check your set up to pinpoint any possible issues, but if it's a problem on your end, they will likely charge you for it, so do that as a last resort. Upgrade your equipment if needed and eliminate any sources of interference first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
  • Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit:
    hello, anyone is able to create cheat patches for cemu? i have a simple request if anyone can help
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hello, anyone is able to create cheat patches for cemu? i have a simple request if anyone can help