Is there a way to host a hotspot on android from existing internet, not using a data plan?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Orangy57, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Orangy57
    OP

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    Here's my issue. I have a data plan, but it's not enough for me to host a hotspot for a long time. I'm planning on running the network for my original DS, as my router doesn't support WEP. The issue is that every method of hosting a hotspot uses my data, and I don't want to go over. I have WiFi connection to my phone, and an Ethernet connection to my PC. I was wondering if a connection to the internet could be wired via USB from the PC, then I could use a program such as FoxFi to host a hotspot. Does anyone know if this would work and if so, how to do it?

2. isanchez

isanchez Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2016
    United States
    My galaxy S7 lets me hotspot while connected to wifi at the same time, what kind of phone do you have?

3. Orangy57
    OP

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    Moto G5 Plus

4. isanchez

isanchez Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2016
    United States
    I couldn't find anything related to your phone being able to do it, but it is worth checking out custom roms and also if you happen to have a windows pc with wifi, you can google apps that let you hotspot and I'm not too sure but I think windows 10 already has it built in.

Orangy57 likes this.
  5. Orangy57
    OP

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    thanks for the help, I'll see if the phone has any custom ROMs with the functionality

6. isanchez

isanchez Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2016
    United States
    I do have a question though, why do you want to connect a ds to the internet? I though the servers for ds games had already been taken down.

7. Orangy57
    OP

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    All that ALTWFC stuff, and lots of DS Homebrew has internet functionality that doesn't rely on Nintendo's WiFi servers.
    I wish I actually got to try it while the servers were still alive, I've had a DS since 2006 and I never had the ability to try online.