Homebrew Is There a Way to Exctract and Replace Subtitles?

okimasa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hello!

I'm a Japanese language student and I've been using a method called "All Japanese, all the time".

Anyway, I recently got Final Fantasy The Crystal Bearers and both the Japanese and English versions have subtitles (in the respective language) that you can enable. I was wondering if I'd be able to extract the English subtitles and somehow use them on a back up of the Japanese version.

Thanks for your help!
Okimasa

Wii 3.2U Softmod
Neogamma R7 rev 14

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It depends on the media you've got. Are you talking about Japanese and English DVD's?

If so, there are quite some programs to "just" rip the subtitles into a .srt file (or even a .txt file). Auto Gordian knot comes to mind, but I'm sure there are others. Also, since the subtitles themselves aren't restricted to the same copyright laws as the movies, it's often not that hard to find websites where you can download specific language subtitles for specific movies.

Getting/creating the subtitles is usually the easy part. Getting them to play correctly is...harder. I know MPlayerCE allows for external subtitles, but I never got it to work correctly. The thing is that the video and the subtitles have to match the entire movie. Maybe I ripped my subtitles wrong, but where it started out "in sync", that only lasted for a few minutes. After that, the subtitles didn't match the movie's audio anymore.
(note: that was with version 0.75. Haven't tried with 0.76)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning