Is there a way to disable Luma's menu?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ArmoredGuns1, Nov 1, 2016.

1. ArmoredGuns1
    OP

ArmoredGuns1 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 27, 2007
    United States
    I'm hacking a 3DS for a nephew who is very young and might mess up with the options in the menu by pressing Select. Is there any way to disable it?

2. proflayton123

proflayton123 just another user

Jan 11, 2016
    London
  3. ArmoredGuns1
    OP

Sep 27, 2007
    United States
  4. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Use a boot manager before Luma that tells the 3DS to turn off if SELECT is held down.

5. Omegadrien

Omegadrien GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 4, 2015
    France
    Pokéland
    Last edited by Omegadrien, Nov 1, 2016
    ArmoredGuns1 likes this.
  6. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal I STILL USE FLOPPY DISKS!

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Here
    You could go with SaltFW. It's a barebones stripped down Luma3DS without a config menu.

7. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    I would recommend you use saltFW. It has no config menu or anything.
    https://github.com/RShadowhand/SaltFW/releases

gnmmarechal likes this.
  8. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    3DSafe still allows access to the Luma menu once the PIN has been entered is SELECT is held immediately after entering the PIN.

The problem with this is what if you need to access the Luma menu for some reason? You'd have to copy a different Luma payload to the SD card. Also, updating Luma would overwrite the modified version with one which allows access to the setup menu.

I think this is probably the most practical solution. You can still update Luma, and the main A9LH payload can be set to a boot manager which if SELECT is held will launch the A9LH test payload which powers the 3DS off.

Hayleia, Omegadrien and ArmoredGuns1 like this.
  9. Omegadrien

Omegadrien GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 4, 2015
    France
    Pokéland
    Updated post XD :
    Yeah, i know, still the same problem... But, the config file of Luma3DS is on the sd card, and is the same for all 3DS.
    But, indeed, i also recommend to use saltFW.

Last edited by Omegadrien, Nov 1, 2016
  10. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Luma already has a PIN lock feature, but it locks access to the 3DS as a whole. I think a good feature addition to Luma would be to. Have the PIN lock only the settings while still allowing access to boot the 3DS. @Aurora Wright

ArmoredGuns1, Hayleia and Omegadrien like this.
  11. ArmoredGuns1
    OP

Sep 27, 2007
    United States
    I think I'm going with this one. I don't know how to compile though :wacko:. It would be great since I installed him the SDless A9LH so his 3DS can turn on in case he messes up with the SD card, and I could replace the compiled Luma version on his 3DS's CTRNAND too. I don't think he'll have any need to change any of the default menu options at all, so this would be a pretty good solution!

12. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    I'm m actually now considering forking Luma and implementing this feature myself. If I do, I'll submit a pull request to hopefully get it integrated into a Luma release.

13. Aurora Wright

Aurora Wright GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    There's no way whatsoever in the config menu to make the 3DS inoperable or to cause a brick, the worst you can do is create a PIN I guess.

14. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    I don't think there was any implication that it could cause a brick. I really just meant that it would be inconvenient to have to swap the payload if you substituted it with one which didn't allow any access to the config menu.

15. ofayto

ofayto Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2017
    Japan
    Sorry for digging this up but...I guess the plan to implement that feature was out...Im I right...?
    If thats the case, could someone kindly enlighten me on how to edit the line of code in the "bool shouldLoadConfigMenu = false;", and how would I be able to compile it?
    Thanks in advance ^^

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Okay, so I checked the GitHub of Luma3DS, and I saw a tutorial on how to compile it myself...
    I guess I could try that out, but how would I go about installing Luma3DS into an existing 3D, with an ALREADY existing Luma3DS? Wouldn't they conflict and cause errors?
    Thanks in advance to those out there helping out ^^
    Much appreciated.
    (I'm a noob here...)