Hacking Is there a 3DS region-lock solution yet?

akaibara

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that the 3DS has been released in the US has there been any progress into breaking that stupid region-lock? Like a modchip or something? ...Anything? I've looked all over the internet for the past couple hours and haven't been able to find any info regarding this. I generally import about 25~30% of my games from Japan and would really prefer a cheaper solution than to buy 2 3DSs. I just don't have that kind of money and I really really want to play the newest Layton game and the upcoming Layton vs. Phoenix.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Dude, the 3DS just came out. Hackers aren't magic. It's going to be a long wait before any substantial progress of any kind is made.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
vdakgajklv.fs'h

You're expecting a modchip like two days after the thing's released?

Do you know how much work goes into producing a modchip? They have to log the signals, reverse-engineer them, find a way to spoof them, find a chip that'd both be able to modify the signal in realtime, and run off of the small amount of power it's fed, then find a form-factor that would fit inside the physical machine, and that's just the planning stages, let along the actual physical production of the chip.

No, and there's not likely to be anything for a while.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah man I made like 4 of them already but they took me like 50 minutes to make so I kinda want to sell them for a pricey price if you know what I mean ha ha ha

$18

D

Deleted User

I'm sure if there's going to be a solution for it, we'll hear about. But not right this moment. I want the region lock to break because I think it was the most stupid move on Nintendo's end ever but it's probably not going to happen that soon.

Besides, I think the Layton game is going to be localized in the USA anyways. The Layton vs. Phoenix however is another issue -___-

akaibara

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
Dude, the 3DS just came out. Hackers aren't magic. It's going to be a long wait before any substantial progress of any kind is made.
That's true. I wasn't expecting a miracle overnight just some info like if the region-lock is part of the hardware or software. From what I understand the amount time it takes to hack depends on that.

Rydian said:
vdakgajklv.fs'h

You're expecting a modchip like two days after the thing's released?
No, that's silly. I was hoping someone had announced that they intend to work on one (or some other method) and that I could follow their progress.

Amiti said:
I'm sure if there's going to be a solution for it, we'll hear about. But not right this moment. I want the region lock to break because I think it was the most stupid move on Nintendo's end ever but it's probably not going to happen that soon.
It's the lamest thing Nintendo has done in a while. The only reason I can think of is to prevent the Japanese from importing the cheaper US version. My friend thinks it has something to do with the movie licensing. What that has to do with playing games, I don't know.

QUOTE(Amiti @ Mar 28 2011, 02:27 AM)
Besides, I think the Layton game is going to be localized in the USA anyways. The Layton vs. Phoenix however is another issue -___-
I think the Layton game will make it to the US in a year or two if we're lucky but for this series I buy and play both the Japanese version and the US version. I was disappointed when they pushed the original November 2010 release day to rework it for the 3DS and release it as a launch title in Japan. Layton vs. Phoenix is a big question mark right now.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
If you can read Japanese well enough to get through stuff like Layton and Wright in Japanese then it probably would have been more sensible to only get a japanese 3DS and import and play all your games in Japanese.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
oh yeah yeah this guy just hacked into the 3DS and made the region lock go away.
He said he won't release it though until someone else has released region lock.
he said it's gonna be called R4-Unlock
he's already accepting money.
and he made a message saying haha scammed.
wonder what that was all about..
anyway cant wait.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
science said:
Yeah man I made like 4 of them already but they took me like 50 minutes to make so I kinda want to sell them for a pricey price if you know what I mean ha ha ha

$18
everyone pm and email this girl.
She has answers!!!
And she's selling!!!

akaibara

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spiritofcat said:
If you can read Japanese well enough to get through stuff like Layton and Wright in Japanese then it probably would have been more sensible to only get a japanese 3DS and import and play all your games in Japanese.
I would import one but I share my game systems with my brother who can't read any Japanese at all. It wouldn't be fair to him. Also my Japanese isn't good enough to play the Phoenix Wright games. (There's no furigana!) I have to play those in English in order to get any enjoyment from them. Layton I can get through, probably because there's a lot of puzzles which aren't entirely text-based. (And the text has furigana.)

QUOTE(Squeeks @ Mar 28 2011, 10:27 AM) What message do you get if you stick a different region cart into a 3DS?
From the videos I've seen you get nothing. The 3DS won't even acknowledge a cart is inside.

CCNaru

Warn-free Since 2005
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
He clearly made a follow up post saying he just wanted to know the progress or if anyone announced that they're gonna work on it already after Rydian said the same thing you said in a much more nonhostile way, read the previous fucking posts before trying to say shit? you're the moron here and should get the fuck out of these forums.

Squeeks

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah I don't get half the people on these boards.

"Hey guys does the Acekard 2i work on the 3DS?????????"
"NO YOU IDIOT YOU SHOULD KILL YOURSELF YOU DONT DESERVE A 3DS FOR BEING SUCH A MORON I BET YOU DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO TURN IT ON"
"lol u told him! i wish i could give u internet for it XD epic win"

Try the following instead!

"Hey guys does the Acekard 2i work on the 3DS?????????"
"Please read the forums in the future to avoid making a duplicate topic. [link to thread about subject]"
other members ignore thread as what needed to be said has been said, mod locks thread.

That said, this is a perfectly fine thread imo, as it focuses on one aspect that hasn't been discussed much anywhere yet because DID YOU DUMP THE ROMS YET AND CAN I PLAY THEM I WANT TO PLAY ALL THE ROMS!

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I never buy a system at launch, I always wait til a few revision and this way i end up with a better product as well as a better game library to pick from, cheaper price tag and most hack/fix work done already. I have enough game on current system i own to last me more than enough lol.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
CCNaru said:
He clearly made a follow up post saying he just wanted to know the progress or if anyone announced that they're gonna work on it already after Rydian said the same thing you said in a much more nonhostile way, read the previous fucking posts before trying to say shit? you're the moron here and should get the fuck out of these forums.
The Catboy takes back nothing he says and will not change his option. Deal with it

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SS4 said:
I never buy a system at launch, I always wait til a few revision and this way i end up with a better product as well as a better game library to pick from, cheaper price tag and most hack/fix work done already. I have enough game on current system i own to last me more than enough lol.

Or missing features and cheaper components.

Knyaz Vladimir

3DS Hacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SS4 said:
2012, then. Nintendo isn't going to be doing anything like the DS Lite within 6 months, that's for sure.

Only design flaw with 3DS is battery life (or that's the only one I can tell), and the PowerPak + enhances the battery life by above two times. Carry both the batteries and the wrist strap charger (or two
tongue.gif
) and you'll get about 20 hours of battery life, or about 60-70 with 3D off. (Note: That was an estimate, so I can't be too sure.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I like it when usps is like delivery expexted Today jk we meant tomorrow