Hardware Is the xbox one unhackable?

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It probably will not be hacked in the next few years, or maybe even decades. The system is too new and complex.
I wouldn't say that - I believe it's really no one cares about the platform. PS4 has interest for both hackers and piracy sellers, where the Xbox One is the later and it's a smaller market there. The people doing the piracy stuff don't tend to be the ones to create the kernel exploits and such - and nobody as far as I know, have looked at the Xbox One hardware at a detailed level while the PS4 has been being worked on since 2014.

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't say that - I believe it's really no one cares about the platform. PS4 has interest for both hackers and piracy sellers, where the Xbox One is the later and it's a smaller market there. The people doing the piracy stuff don't tend to be the ones to create the kernel exploits and such - and nobody as far as I know, have looked at the Xbox One hardware at a detailed level while the PS4 has been being worked on since 2014.
so it sounds like a lack of interest and not being able to crack the firmware easier than ps4 and the switch.

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, the main reason Xbone is not hacked is developer mode for 20$.

Because people can run their own windows universal apps (emulators) using dev mode, the homebrew or die people are not seriously attacking the console. It was only when linux was stopped on the ps3 that people got serious about hacking it.

If more console makers wold give people homebrew, then less consoles would get hacked.

For example, Nintendo could have easily made a homebrew only flashcart. that could only run homebrew .nds files. Auto dldi-patch+no flash support. presto. There was only ONE attempt at this. datel games and music. it sucked. but could have easily done better. in fact i got my first DSTT for running a homebrew.

A similar tactic could easily have been done for 3ds. a flashcart with no flash support (which all commercial games require) Of course homebrew competes directly with their virtual console, so i can see why they wouldn't want to.

When ps3s let you run linux, there was a truce between the hackers and Sony. They agreed to confine their hacking techs to Linux, and to try nothing more than to unlock the graphics processor to make 3d homebrew. When Sony went back on their word, the console security was attacked mercilessly.

MS has learned the lesson that Sony and Nintendo have not. Give people enough access to do cool homebrewy things, and less people will try and hack your console, meaning less piracy. And dev mode for xbox is much better than linux for ps3 ever was.

And lets' not forget ps2 Independence, which went unpatched until hdloader.elf showed up. Before then Sony was "oh how cute. they are wearing out their memory cards, and running sega genesis emulators. and this didn't crack the mechacon, we don't need to worry". Then UMCDR showed up, and they still weren't worried. "Oh how cute, they now have libraries of NES games on CDR, they still can't use it to pirate." Then hdloader.elf showed, up which copied rented discs to the hard drive, and sony went "Aww, HELL NO" bye bye ps2 independence, bye bye hard drive! In this case, it was the hackers that went too far.

Last edited by Zaphod77,
Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm confident that there is a body of exploits ready and working on the system, however given how keen and relatively quick Microsoft is about patching vulnerabilities, my assumption is that any releases would be made at a point of no return at which the company cannot fix the problem. It's smart, but can take a while. Moreover, the Xbox One offers a convenient infrastructure for developers already, so there's very little call for further opening the platform besides a pure security challenge. I know of at least one security flaw on the system, specifically on the browser, but it was patched by Microsoft a while back.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confident that there is a body of exploits ready and working on the system, however given how keen and relatively quick Microsoft is about patching vulnerabilities, my assumption is that any releases would be made at a point of no return at which the company cannot fix the problem. It's smart, but can take a while. Moreover, the Xbox One offers a convenient infrastructure for developers already, so there's very little call for further opening the platform besides a pure security challenge. I know of at least one security flaw on the system, specifically on the browser, but it was patched by Microsoft a while back.
They were keen and quick during the 360 days too. That's why besides King Kong (which only worked for a day or two) the only way to hack the system was with a hardmod (and that's still true). That system was stupidly popular as well. The XB1 has already had it's "King Kong" hack (the useless edge exploit that was gone within the same day) so I don't think we're getting a softmod or a hack at all unless someone releases a hardmod.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They were keen and quick during the 360 days too. That's why besides King Kong (which only worked for a day or two) the only way to hack the system was with a hardmod (and that's still true). That system was stupidly popular as well. The XB1 has already had it's "King Kong" hack (the useless edge exploit that was gone within the same day) so I don't think we're getting a softmod or a hack at all unless someone releases a hardmod.
A mod is a mod, I wouldn't denigrate hardware solutions, there's nothing wrong with them. ;)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I didn't but I will add that a hardmod greatly raises the barrier to entry. Not every person can solder.
I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. There's a lot of people who mod their consoles using tools they don't understand without even being aware of the risks, this solves the issue.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. There's a lot of people who mod their consoles using tools they don't understand without even being aware of the risks, this solves the issue.
No it chokes your scene and kills most of the dev interest. (Just look at the 360 scene.)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No it chokes your scene and kills most of the dev interest. (Just look at the 360 scene.)
The 360 scene is not very active because of low interest, not because of the barrier to entry. Most consoles in the past required some form of hardware modification and that didn't stop anyone from developing for them. People who don't know how to use a screwdriver shouldn't be modding their systems in the first place.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup