Hardware Is the right JoyCon (IR camera) potentially a WiiRemote for Wii VC?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Considering that the Wii is just a beefed up Gamecube and that the Switch is rumored to likely have Gamecube virtual console titles (as well as the localization of Mother 3), I see no reason that if it can handle Gamecube VC titles that it also wouldn't be able to handle Wii VC titles. But I suspect it would be titles that don't (mandatorily) use the IR pointer, due to its placement on the Joy Con controller.

The devil is in the details. The Switch can't read GC or Wii games, so they have a lot of options in terms of how they handle backward compatibility. Each game could be individually ported from the source code, they may provide porting frameworks which again would require the source code, or they could use emulation. With emulation it is harder to extend the game to make the most of functionality in the Switch.

For VC titles then an emulator running on top of an emulator seems like a waste of CPU cycles. My guess is that they won't be supporting wiimotes.

Now, considering that some Android devices can run Dolphin somewhat well, WITH the bloated software, a dedicated gaming device on ARM could potentially handle it

I think you overestimate how much CPU that Android uses compared to how much Dolphin uses. Even if you could remove all of it, which you can't as the Switch needs an OS of some form, then it would still be a fraction of what Dolphin needs.

Last edited by smf,

Thulinma

Computer Magician
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.thulinma.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
"most likely practically compatible"
Um, no. If you were to check the SDK for Wii and WiiU you'd notice several HUGE differences, especially in graphics handling, and WiiU is just Wii on steroids. Between WiiU and 3DS (which is exactly the difference between WiiU and Switch, PPC vs ARM) the differences are ASTRONOMIC. It's not as simple as taking the code and recompiling, or minor changes. The entire graphics handling would need to be rewritten, pretty much from scratch.
Fair enough. I haven't actually seen any of the SDKs. Still, I think Nintendo themselves would probably have no problems at all doing such rewrites very quickly. Possibly even make some kind of compatibility library that converts from one style to another, so they could easily port over multiple games in a row. It's not unreasonable to think, anyway.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I can see a Skyward Sword HD port happening.
Skyward Sword didn't actually use the IR pointer/sensor bar - it used the Wii Motion+ accelerometers. So that one could theoretically be done more easily, without having to turn the right Joy-Con upside down.

Indeed, if Nintendo really put some effort into it, most games which did use the IR pointer might be able to change to using non-IR motion control. I'm not saying they will do it, I'm just saying it might be possible.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The devil is in the details. The Switch can't read GC or Wii games, so they have a lot of options in terms of how they handle backward compatibility. Each game could be individually ported from the source code, they may provide porting frameworks which again would require the source code, or they could use emulation. With emulation it is harder to extend the game to make the most of functionality in the Switch.

For VC titles then an emulator running on top of an emulator seems like a waste of CPU cycles. My guess is that they won't be supporting wiimotes.

I think you overestimate how much CPU that Android uses compared to how much Dolphin uses. Even if you could remove all of it, which you can't as the Switch needs an OS of some form, then it would still be a fraction of what Dolphin needs.
That I don't know. If an Android device can do then it should be possible. If the Switch is anything like the Wii U - or any standard gaming device - 95% of the OS is put into standby to free up resources for the game. The Switch is running some custom hardware which should be at least equivalent to the highest end chips - and should at least be in spitting distance of the Apple A10. The OS should be able to handle it.

The main question comes to controller support. Gamecube games are fairly simple as the only thing missing is analog triggers (which may be circumvental), though Wii games I highly suspect won't be compatible with the right joystick. I think Nintendo would just port games like they did with Windwaker HD, and update the controls as they go.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed, if Nintendo really put some effort into it, most games which did use the IR pointer might be able to change to using non-IR motion control. I'm not saying they will do it, I'm just saying it might be possible.
I also think some games will just be Switch for motion over IR pointer. They could do Wii games remakes too, but I doubt they want to do that with every game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.