Is the PSP capable to accept a 64GB microsd ?

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by nbvcxy206, Feb 9, 2012.

Feb 9, 2012
    • Newcomer

MacrossSkullOne "She's a Magical Girl"

Message Count:
    United States
    No problem.

• Newcomer

Consension New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I've got a question, if you don't mind.

I've just purchased these cards, and I've noticed that the xmb tends to take a while to load, after starting up the psp (afterwards, loading other things sometimes takes a while, too)...so, I was just wondering if you had formatted your memory sticks a certain way..? or is this lag noticeable on your end, as well?

Thanks in advance.

MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

Message Count:
    United States
    Is there an option similar to this for the PSPGo? That'd be sweet!

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Message Count:
    United States
    Nope. You are stuck with M2. There is no M2 to microSD adapter (physical size limitation).
    • Newcomer

Message Count:
    United States
    It does lag for me also, but I'v gotten used to it. It's most noticeable, especially when accessing my games or videos on the xmb. And I just formatted the cards in the psp system

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Message Count:
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If you're on CFW, you can try going into the recovery menu (hold R on boot, or go into the VSH menu with Select on the home screen and access the recovery menu from there) and using the setting to hide pic0/pic1 in the games list. Then the games list should load faster as it won't have to load the background images as well.

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    so we CAN use 128GB then in a PSP. Interesting. I never wanted to be the one to fork out the money and test this but it seems to be working! I have 64GB in mine (2x32 micro SD) but might go this route myself as am fed up of swapping cards over even still!
    • Newcomer

Consension New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Yeah, no luck, it seems ;(... None the less, it still works decently well. I guess it's the fact that the photofast 5400-cr is really only meant to combine up to 32GB or 64GB, not 128GB...

I haven't tried storing past 32GB or 64GB, yet...but I want to hope that the total 128GB storage, on the card, is accessible.

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I think the slowdown on the card just comes from the amount of stuff you have on there (in one folder)

If you install the Game Category plugin and split them up a bit, it does load up a lot faster, albeit with the tradeoff with having to delve into different folders
    • Newcomer

Consension New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I wish it were that simple...but I have my card completely formatted, with no data on it, atm. The experience that I'm having: it takes a few extra seconds to load the xmb when booting up the psp/exiting an application/dismounting the MS. Other than that, I've tried a few emulators, and they seem as responsive as if I were using my normal ProDuo stick...so homebrew/application speeds seem the same.

Message Count:
    United Kingdom

Hmmm, and i take it you have memory stick speedup enabled for XMB? And also having the clockspeed set higher (highest) for XMB is slightly better also

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Message Count:
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Well the slow memory stick would only affect reading of it, and in most cases stuff is loaded into RAM and read from there (mainly the emulators do this).
    • Newcomer

ramswell New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Yes, I own "TONS" of the adapters and yes I AM RUNNING 64 GIGS on THEM ALL!!! They all "WORK FLAWLESSLY TOO!!! Of course I'm only getting the 59 gigs that's available after the bios and all that, but SURE IS WORTH IT!!!!
    Now as far as this "Magic Gate" discussion in concerned, I just did some reading up on it and from what I can gather, it appears to me that it's only use is for transferring "PROTECTED CONTENT" from the UMB to the Memory Stick (designed as a way to "BACK-UP" any UMD programs that you may have
    • Newcomer

Consension New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Changing the clock speed didn't help ;(...and neither did the MS speedup option.

Regardless, ISOs seem to work flawlessly, despite needing MS usage at a moderate rate, at least... So, I guess it's really just affecting the xmb.

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    do you get the same problem if you only have one of the Micro SD cards in the adapter?
    • Newcomer

Consension New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Incidentally, it still does show SOME lag, but it is a bit faster, with just one micro sdxc in the adapter.
    • Newcomer

Dalrint New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Okay, one thing I'm honestly not sure about reading this thread (I may have just missed it). If I buy 1 64 gig card, and stick it in my adapter and then plug that adapter into my psp (not a double-card one, just a regular one) will it read fine? And give me, what, 59 gigs I suppose?

I guess the question seems kind of anal, I just want to be sure before I buy one!
    • Newcomer

Message Count:
    United States
    You know...I'v been using the card for months. The lag bothers me very little. Every works fine. Playing roms, ripping UMD's, playing ISO files. PSone games. Music movies. I have yet to have any problems, other then slight lag.

Chaosruler New Member

Message Count:
    Israel
    does it occur to anyone that the lag might be because we got TOO much sectors atm? even if the OFW support it we do know Sony didn't produce any PSP flash memory card beyond 32GB... it might be that very reason
    • Newcomer

Consension New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    It could be... The psp needing to load and read the complete 118GB might be slowing it down.