Hardware Is the PSP capable to accept a 64GB microsd ?

nbvcxy206

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As some of us might already know, we can see the SanDisk SDSDQY-064G-U46A microsd card for a almost reasonable price.
The question now is, if the PSP accepts that card through an adapter. I have searched through google some time but it seems no one has ever tried and reported anywhere in the net ???? I´m just too lazy to continue searching.... it seems it is senseless.

If there is anyone here owning that card, please share your PSP experience with the public here...

THANKS !

Chaosruler

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
http://www.ictcentury.com/sandisk-micro/429-sandisk-sdsdqy-064g-u46a-ultra-microsdhc-64gb-memory-card.html
It is an uSDXC card, it should be supported by uSDHC reading devices (uSD reader ver 2.1) but not at uSDXC reading and writing speeds, I wouldn't bet on great support or MagicGate or any other kind of good use of this uSDXC other then it's vast capacity
in other words: with the right modifcation to the Pro Duo memory card reader on the OS it should be possible, very possible, but neither the memory speed and neither the memory format will be supported, it'll be like burning 900 MB on a CD - possible but fucky

nbvcxy206

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
http://www.ictcentur...emory-card.html
It is an uSDXC card, it should be supported by uSDHC reading devices (uSD reader ver 2.1) but not at uSDXC reading and writing speeds, I wouldn't bet on great support or MagicGate or any other kind of good use of this uSDXC other then it's vast capacity
in other words: with the right modifcation to the Pro Duo memory card reader on the OS it should be possible, very possible, but neither the memory speed and neither the memory format will be supported, it'll be like burning 900 MB on a CD - possible but fucky

Even if the speed is worse than it could be, it would be great....

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If there is anyone here owning that card, please share your PSP experience with the public here...

Nice edit, but it won't change the fact that the PSP will reject the card due to the fact that it's over the hardware limit of 32Gb and the adapter will reject it because it's not SD/SDHC thus is incompatible.

"Software modifications" won't help you, it's like expecting a CD-Rom to read DVD-Rom's. Ain't gonna happen.

Buy 2x 16Gb instead and you're set.

Disregard my posts, I've been proven wrong, apparently. :)

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
I tried with the PhotoFast CR-5400 dual microSD card slot MS Pro Duo Adapter, plugged in two 32GB MicroSD cards... needless to say, it only saw 40-somethingGB (don't remember exactly, it was a few months ago when I was curious) on my PSP, and didn't work that well. I'd suggest sticking under the verified 32GB mark to ensure data loads/saves properly and doesn't corrupt itself.

Do you *really* need 64GB on a PSP though :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I tried with the PhotoFast CR-5400 dual microSD card slot MS Pro Duo Adapter, plugged in two 32GB MicroSD cards... needless to say, it only saw 40-somethingGB (don't remember exactly, it was a few months ago when I was curious) on my PSP, and didn't work that well. I'd suggest sticking under the verified 32GB mark to ensure data loads/saves properly and doesn't corrupt itself.

Do you *really* need 64GB on a PSP though :)
The fact that it showed up doesn't mean that it worked - I'm pretty sure that if you attempted filling it up beyond 32Gb it would spit out a read/write error.

Disregard my further posts, I've been proven wrong, apparently. :)

nbvcxy206

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Nice edit, but it won't change the fact that the PSP will reject the card due to the fact that it's over the hardware limit of 32Gb and the adapter will reject it because it's not SD/SDHC thus is incompatible.

"Software modifications" won't help you, it's like expecting a CD-Rom to read DVD-Rom's. Ain't gonna happen.

Well, great, but if this is a fact, would you please let me know your source ? From where do you know it ? Anything "official" ?
or is it just a "rumor" ?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, great, but if this is a fact, would you please let me know your source ? From where do you know it ? Anything "official" ?
or is it just a "rumor" ?
PhotoFast states on their packaging that their adapters accept 16Gb cards per slot, up to a total of 32Gb which is the maximum size of a stick that can be read by the reader as far as I know.

That's simply the design of Memory Stick Pro Duo - their maximal capacity is 32Gb and the drive is prepared to accept that kind of capacities - no more.

http://en.wikipedia....y_Stick_PRO_Duo

PSP accepts Pro Duo sticks, the Go accepts M2 sticks, both have the maximum capacity of 32Gb.

Sticks with higher capacities are branded as XC and are only compatible with hardware that supports them.

In other words, provided the adapter will accept a 64Gb SD (I doubt it, adapters are designed for SD/SDHC cards) the PSP will detect it as an erronous stick anyways.

Disregard my posts, I've been proven wrong, apparently. :)

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the PSP capable of 64GB MicroSD? No
Is the PSP capable of 64GB Storage? Yes and No.

1st off, MicroSD. From 0 to 2 GB is MicroSD format. From 4GB to 32GB is MicroSDHC format. From 64GB to ??? is MicroSDXC format. The PSP cannot read MicroSD without a MSProDuo adapter, and it cannot read past the SDHC format. There are very few devices in the world that can read MicroSDXC, but expect lots more in the future. Some android phones can already read these.

Now one exception to the 64GB rule are Dual MicroSD to MSProDuo adapters (The cheaper ones). They can take two MicroSDHC and combine into one storage medium. If you place two 32GB cards and format with the PSP the PSP will tell you that there is roughly 60GB free, give-or-take. The loophole here is this is still technically a SDHC format. The catch however... is by PSP to PC USB, or Card reader, your PC will only see the storage as 32GB, and will not allow you to add anything more than that. This makes your remaining 32GB useless, pointless, and a waste of money. So no, PSP can't take advantage of 64GB.

I remember seeing a Youtube video with someone trying 2x 32GB cards and getting the same effects... He could only use half of what the PSP told him was free.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As far as I know, 32Gb is the limit.
Wrong, it is 32GB. 32Gb = 8 GB. :P

But anyway, you can get access to the full 64GB, but only using 5.00 M33. That is the only CFW (I think) that removes the memory card limit. Contrary to what is posted above, this is a software limitation, not hardware. Maybe one day this feature will get added to newer CFWs as well, but for now that is your only option I believe. Having said that, I don't think you could really need 64GB of storage on your PSP. There's only so many games you can play ;)

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong, it is 32GB. 32Gb = 8 GB.

But anyway, you can get access to the full 64GB, but only using 5.00 M33. That is the only CFW (I think) that removes the memory card limit. Contrary to what is posted above, this is a software limitation, not hardware. Maybe one day this feature will get added to newer CFWs as well, but for now that is your only option I believe. Having said that, I don't think you could really need 64GB of storage on your PSP. There's only so many games you can play ;)
I would... I have 6 16GB MicroSD Class 6 or better, Theyre not enough. Thinking of buying 2 more for just music and movies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

I would... I have 6 16GB MicroSD Class 6 or better, Theyre not enough. Thinking of buying 2 more for just music and movies.
I'd rather have multiple sets of SD's with a few adapters then stay on 5.00 M33 and have to worry with compatibility issues etc.though. ;)

I currently have a 16Gb set and I'm relatively happy with it. In fact, I mostly play 2-3 games at a time and completely ignore the rest. Situation similar to that with the DS - 200 ROM's on a flashcart and I only ever play maybe 5 of'em. The curse of "too much space" leads to wasting it on stuff you never really use.

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'd rather have multiple sets of SD's with a few adapters then stay on 5.00 M33 and have to worry with compatibility issues etc.though. ;)

I currently have a 16Gb set and I'm relatively happy with it. In fact, I mostly play 2-3 games at a time and completely ignore the rest. Situation similar to that with the DS - 200 ROM's on a flashcart and I only ever play maybe 5 of'em. The curse of "too much space" leads to wasting it on stuff you never really use.
I use M33-6 with Prom 4 and I actually have damn good compatibility. The one game I cannot play out of my 80 PSP ISO collection is Peace Walker. I'm sure there is an M33 fix out there, just not into Metal Gear enough to google the fix. But I really do "use" my expansive libraries... I'm a bit of "this and that" I keep all my DJMax and Project Diva games on one card, and I play each of them quite frequently, mostly because not one game has a perfect playllist...

I also play a litttle Dissidia here, some burnout there, some wipeout time-to-time followed by some Disgaea. Enjoy an hour of Ys7 and try to re-attempt beating MF on Birth by Sleep.... Even with the NDS I'll flirt with some Plants vs Zombie and then try to clear a dungeon on Spirit Tracks. Settle down with a little solitare or crosswords...

I don't marathon one single game like I used to anymore. Also, as cheap as 16GB cards are these days, I'm pretty prepared if I ever find a stranger with a game needed for multiplayer play. Its harder to come up short on "that" game when you have can carry 200 NDS games and 50 PSP games on cards smaller than my fingernails.

Though while we're on the discussion of M33, I have been wanting to upgrade out of curiosity, not out of inconvenience... Whats the most bestful compatible firmware out there? The only thing keeping me tied down to M33 really is my 100 hour Dissidia save corrupting on other firmwares.
Got a Silver daxter-edition psp 2000

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I use M33-6 with Prom 4 and I actually have damn good compatibility. The one game I cannot play out of my 80 PSP ISO collection is Peace Walker. I'm sure there is an M33 fix out there, just not into Metal Gear enough to google the fix.
http://psp.dashhacks.com/2010/11/10/torkys-m33-6-30-plugin-released

DeathOfChaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you have to do is put it in your computer using a card reader with two 32GB microSD cards and format it into Fat32. Proof that it works, lol.

http://www.assembler...d-how-inside%29

And in case you miss the biggest evidence of all

31145d1318692790-choices-choices-microsd-transflash-sd-sdhc-brand-size-imag0212.jpg

Now the real question is how well will it read two 64GB cards... 120GB of space on a PSP, that would just be insanely crazy, LOL!

Reactions: 2 people

mjax

Trophies
XP
Country
^ LMAO!!!

I want to see if Foxi4 is graceful enough to admit his wrongs.

This is really nice for those who want to have a bigger cards considering how big some ISOs/Videos could be.

Edit:

Nothing personal against you Foxi4 but this is not the first time you argued like this, look what it did to you at the end. I would appreciate you toning down your attitude towards others just a tad bit, again it's just an advice, feel free to ignore it and continue with your ways. :)

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you have to do is put it in your computer using a card reader with two 32GB microSD cards and format it into Fat32. Proof that it works, lol.

http://www.assembler...d-how-inside%29

And in case you miss the biggest evidence of all

31145d1318692790-choices-choices-microsd-transflash-sd-sdhc-brand-size-imag0212.jpg

Now the real question is how well will it read two 64GB cards... 120GB of space on a PSP, that would just be insanely crazy, LOL!
That kind of space on ANY gaming handheld is beyond necessary. :P (well, MAYBE not for the Vita if someone were to download a lot of games)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over