Hacking Homebrew Is the GP2X any good?

>lol<

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking upon getting one instead of an m3.

I have a ds and I want to emulate SNES, SMS, and GBA games.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The controls aren't perfect. However, it's a powerful device. Depends a little on what you want but for emulation it should be great. Don't expect GBA to work any time soon, though...

Dogg Thang

Roobarb Rocks
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been wondering this myself recently. Can anyone say how the emulators compare with the PSP emulators (I mean someone who actually has both running and knows rather than just resorting to Sony=tehSuxxxorrs or whatever)?

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've got no idea about the PSP emulators... It depends on the system. For Mega Drive/Genesis, the 2X is perfect. On the SNES side, there is some work left to do. If you want to get an idea what software is available for it, check out http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi . A PS1 emulator is also under active development but of course it's still pretty slow.

reaperman@home

Trophies
Website
www.geocities.com
XP
Country
I have a gp2x, and honestly I'm not thrilled. It's not that it doesn't do homebrew decently, (because it does) it's just that it's a unit that only emulates games from 10+ years ago so it has a limited selection of games, and nothing to look forward since I played everything out 10 years ago and all the years of emulation since.

after a month carrying that bulky, buggy, brick, I switched back to my GBM and bought it a nice 4gig SD card... nothing better than polished, relatively new games. I'd probably recommend emulation on the PSP or DS--not because they emulate better, but because if you get sick of homebrew, there are other things to do with it. though Gp2x does have a certain coolness factor associated with people not knowing what it is.

and if you think psp/ds owners complain about control issues, the gp2x has an 8-way D-pad (vs. standard 4-way) and a wide variety of programmer skill levels. most haven't figured out how to use it, so while you may have a nice fullspeed emulator, getting the stick input to work correctly is iffy. and really, the system doesn't feel that good in the hands to start with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night