Status
Not open for further replies.

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Wii already softmodded, but it's kind of a hassle to switch between my wiiu and original wii just to play games from my USB drive, so I wanted to softmod my WiiU

I was concerned because I see you can't install priiloader on it. How can I be sure to protect from a small brick? Is it even worth softmodding if I already have a perfectly fine softmodded wii?

I want to play GCN games too, obviously using devolution as DIOS MIOS doesn't work on it... but does devolution even work on Wiiu?

And is the only way to mod it with a game? Or does the letterbomb exploit work?

Reactions: darky2003

Mister_Keevs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're looking for better picture quality (i.e. 480p), it certainly looks better.
  • You also have the benefit of playing GC games on the gamepad (as a display, not a controller) which look amazing
  • Devolution works if you follow the right setup, and you'll obviously need a classic controller or a Mayflash Adapter.
  • If you go the Mayflash route (like I did), you'll have to find a remapped version of Devo. Other than that, I'm satisfied with the softmod.

darky2003

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Belgium
I have a Wii already softmodded, but it's kind of a hassle to switch between my wiiu and original wii just to play games from my USB drive, so I wanted to softmod my WiiU

I was concerned because I see you can't install priiloader on it. How can I be sure to protect from a small brick? Is it even worth softmodding if I already have a perfectly fine softmodded wii?

I want to play GCN games too, obviously using devolution as DIOS MIOS doesn't work on it... but does devolution even work on Wiiu?

And is the only way to mod it with a game? Or does the letterbomb exploit work?

Had the same question ;)

Reactions: shutterbug2000

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're looking for better picture quality (i.e. 480p), it certainly looks better.
  • You also have the benefit of playing GC games on the gamepad (as a display, not a controller) which look amazing
  • Devolution works if you follow the right setup, and you'll obviously need a classic controller or a Mayflash Adapter.
  • If you go the Mayflash route (like I did), you'll have to find a remapped version of Devo. Other than that, I'm satisfied with the softmod.
thanks for the reply. What is the risk of softmodding my Wiiu's vwii? Could it possibly brick my WiiU or the vWii if I do a wiiu update?

Mister_Keevs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the reply. What is the risk of softmodding my Wiiu's vwii? Could it possibly brick my WiiU or the vWii if I do a wiiu update?

Had the same question ;)

Most WiiU updates don't affect the vWii, but the ones that do haven't done anything brick-wise as of yet. (one did force Homebrew and VC games into 4:3, but that can be fixed easily) If you're worried enough, you can wait to update until others report whether its safe or not. As far a regular bricking goes, follow the guides stickied and you'll know what you can and can't install on vWii.

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most WiiU updates don't affect the vWii, but the ones that do haven't done anything brick-wise as of yet. (one did force Homebrew and VC games into 4:3, but that can be fixed easily) If you're worried enough, you can wait to update until others report whether its safe or not. As far a regular bricking goes, follow the guides stickied and you'll know what you can and can't do.

awesome thanks! I've had my Wii softmodded for years now, and I don't remmeber how it's all set up. IF I just follow normal guides to get stuff working will it run the same on Wiiu? Or are there things I have to watch out for?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There is a vWii guide here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/full-vwii-softmod.339899/

You shouldn't run into a problem if you only use it for Devo/Backup loaders.
Don't do any of the advanced stuff like changing the theme etc, though.

Devolution works on vWii, but you need to verify the games on a normal Wii (since WiiU doesn't read GC discs).
It only needs to be done once per game.

And currently, there is no game-less exploit for vWii.

Reactions: Deleted User

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a vWii guide here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/full-vwii-softmod.339899/

You shouldn't run into a problem if you only use it for Devo/Backup loaders.
Don't do any of the advanced stuff like changing the theme etc, though.

Devolution works on vWii, but you need to verify the games on a normal Wii (since WiiU doesn't read GC discs).
It only needs to be done once per game.

And currently, there is no game-less exploit for vWii.

thanks, i'll check this out and will do this later. I have SSBB to do the smash exploit on it, so i'm fine on that part

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most WiiU updates don't affect the vWii, but the ones that do haven't done anything brick-wise as of yet. (one did force Homebrew and VC games into 4:3, but that can be fixed easily) If you're worried enough, you can wait to update until others report whether its safe or not. As far a regular bricking goes, follow the guides stickied and you'll know what you can and can't install on vWii.

How can I fix the 4:3 issue?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
How can I fix the 4:3 issue?
install the fixed hbc channel forwarder and run everything through that. there are some other channel forwarders too like for emus that you can install that will do the same thing. you will have to run some stuff through the hbc though but it only takes an extra 10 seconds :P

Reactions: 3bbb7

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
install the fixed hbc channel forwarder and run everything through that. there are some other channel forwarders too like for emus that you can install that will do the same thing. you will have to run some stuff through the hbc though but it only takes an extra 10 seconds :P

alright thank you

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have followed the guide and softmodded vwii. I backed up the NAND (which took about 3 hours) and installed cIOS's

Unfortunately I can not get CFG to load my HDD which works perfectly fine on my original Wii.

When plugging into the left port, it doesn't even detect it. When plugging into the right port, my ext HDD makes this beeping sound every second, and again is not recognized by CFG.

Is this a problem with the Wii or the drive?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you need to get a y-cable hdd need more power on the wiiu and have to be plugged into both usb ports on the back of the wiiu. a y-cable allows this just ebay it.

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you need to get a y-cable hdd need more power on the wiiu and have to be plugged into both usb ports on the back of the wiiu. a y-cable allows this just ebay it.

I didnt realize there were ports in the back, tried one and it works fine with my hdd now.

time to install devloution and ill be set

EDIT: I grabbed a wad of the hbc fix channel from hacksden and I got MMM 13.4 and tried to install the wad, but it says that it couldn't complete the installation?
It just says "1 did not complete" when trying to install.
The IOS selected is 58 v6432, im not sure if thats affecting it

EDIT 2: I selected 249 instead of 58 and it installed fine, so everythings all working fine.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup