Is Puyo Puyo Tetris Western release only going to be dubbed in English?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Apr 13, 2017.

1. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    I honestly wonder how can western audiences can pick up on Japanese dubs and say wow, that is a good dub or a bad dub.

Last edited by gamefan5, Apr 21, 2017
    Subtle Demise and chartube12 like this.

2. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    The professionalism of a voiceover doesn't matter if it's in another language, if you can tell good from bad then you know it. For example, it's like hearing Russian old dubs which they used to (or still do) voice-over a dub while the original audio is still playing and their level of excitement, effort or just any sort of quality attempt isn't there.

Compare the old French dub of Dragon Ball Z to the new French dub of Dragon Ball Kai and tell me you can't notice how much better it is.

3. gamefan5

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    I actually can, considering I speak french.
    But I honestly cannot compare to an old DBZ jpn Dub to the DBZ KAI jpn Dub. And I listen to subbed anime a lot.

4. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    I didn't even notice that you were Canadian or had the ability to speak French, the point is that the old French DBZ dub was shit and the new one is much much better!

gamefan5 likes this.
  5. gamefan5

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Hehe it is. Same for the American DBZ English Dub to Kai for most of the voices imo.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  6. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    The old Funimation Z dub was pretty bad but the Kai/Super is quite easily a masterpiece and despite having some nitpicks with it it's as perfect as it can be.

I love the Ocean Dub of the Z Movies 1-3, it's something I tend to watch every few months. Peter Kelamis as Goku was amazing!

chartube12 and gamefan5 like this.
  7. xKaii

xKaii GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2016
    I enjoy a lot voices on all puyo and similar puzzle games (there are a bunch of similar arcade puzzle games), of course they're important.
    And yeah, i also prefer japanese dub.

Eddypikachu and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  8. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    I would have preferred a Spanish dub but can't even choose.

9. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    No, they aren't important, they're just pleasing to you. But this kind of game will still be just as fun with or without the voice acting. i can assure you of that. Now if this was a more cinematic game where the story actually mattered, then, yes I could understand the argument about how important voice acting is in such a game, but this simply isn't that kind of game. If you want the Japanese voice acting, that's cool, but lets not pretend that they're really important to this type of game at all.

chartube12 likes this.
  10. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat vegtebales

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    Because not everybody is a weeaboo who wants to hear annoying squeaky voices in a language they don't actually understand

Subtle Demise and chartube12 like this.
  11. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    This isn't about being a "weeaboo," have you heard the English dub? It's so inferior in terms of quality dubbing when compared to the Japanese one. I'd bet that Sega outsourced the English dub to a company which charged them as little as possible.

12. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Whether or not someone likes japanese voices is not the point IMO. I don't see a reason why video games these days, no matter how little voice acting they may have, not have a japanese voice option in them.

13. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    They aren't important for any of the usual reasons - not for conveying emotions, not for... whatever other purposes voice acting normally fulfills - but they're very important for making the game feel like the quirky, goofy character based puzzle game that Puyo Puyo is supposed to be. In a way, removing the silly voices from this game is much like removing the ambient music from a horror game. It completely loses the feel. It's more background noise than actual voice acting.

jarbar3000 and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  14. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    I can't believe that some people still think that playing a game in it's original freaking foreing language will make them look more geek or otaku or what ever than anyone else.

Pip'

15. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    Another one that completely misses the point.

osaka35 likes this.
  16. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    isn't that the...exact same mistake you're making? No one here that's wanting the original audio thinks that way. except you. And I agree. It's pretty unbelievable that's what you think.

Here, I'll make it simple.

English. Annoying to some. Original japanese. Not annoying to some. People prefer not annoying.

It's a preference. chill.

Last edited by osaka35, Apr 23, 2017
    Eddypikachu and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  17. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    Haha, someone living in the not-so-great-again USA just said that english is annoying, now that's not patriotic.

Pip'

18. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    ooooo you're trolling. My bad, I almost thought you didn't know you were being dense. lol nice work :D You totally had me.

19. sorabora

sorabora Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2016
    United States
    Tetris is Russian.

20. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Aug 16, 2008
    Finland
    Turku
    Right, so let's keep the one russian character as Russian and not just generic nothing.