Gaming Is Nintendo focusing too much on casual gamers...

Do you think Nintendo is focusing too much on casual gamers and neglecting the hardcore gamers?

• Yes, games are too easy and nothing catches my attention

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Yes, online play defines modern gaming! We need more online!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, they have a good balance right now and it will only get better

• No, I bought the wii for casual gaming and that is what it is for

• No, what are you talking about? there are lots of games for gamers

• Total voters

Kaphis

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, it's like, Nintendo is so focused on the "casual gamer" that they've pretty much forgotten or abandoned all the "hardcore gamers". They make it so simple to use, but it leaves you wanting more. This is why Xbox Live! and most PC game's online stratigies work so well, is because of the fact that it has so much more to offer. If Counter-Strike:Source's only online option was "click here to connect to other people", it would fail horribly.

I figured this should be in a new thread.

There are definitely a few games out there right now that seems to be tailored towards "hardcore gamers" but as a gamer myself, it seems that the lack of a lobby online system not just right now....but nothing like that seems to be planned with hurt online games.

I mean ...I finish games fast and I love games~ but there are only so much RPGs I can play for a while, I want those online games that I can go into a lobby, load up a game, and play against real people...and know who I beat just so I can beat them again
biggrin.gif

I just finished God of War on PS2 (can't believe I missed this title), waiting for God of War 2, playing Red Steel right now, Zelda is collecting dust, Mario Galaxy and Paper Mario is coming...but they are all story games...I want a good online game of any kind.

So what about everyone else?

Do you feel that Nintendo is focusing too much on casual gamers coming out with titles that are meant for casual gamers?
Do you seem to feel there is something missing when you compare Wii games to xbox360 titles?
If you call yourself a hardcore gamer, what do you look for in games?

GameDragon

Mugiwara RAWR!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I do agree that Nintendo is focusing too much on casual gaming. But for me, hardcore gaming isn't just about online play (however it's important). So far, there are too many casual games for Wii (Wario Ware, Rayman, Wii Sports/Play, etc.), games that are so easy to play. Yeah, they're easy, but most gamers want more than just simplicity, like me. I'm not saying that I don't like those type of games, but I'd rather have more games that have solid game play mechanics that doesn't seem rushed, games such as Zelda.

As for online... I say it should be kind of a standard for most games. I mean, there are a lot of really good fighting games are out there but how many can you name are online? I despise X360, however, I must congratulate them on nice online service.

If Nintendo somehow miraculously makes a good online service 'with' good online games, this would be awesome. But since I'm not counting on that happening, I just hope Nintendo slows down on those casual games and bring us real awesome title soon.

Kaphis

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
yea I hear you...~

yea I am just missing some good "artistic" piece you know...like God of War or Prince of Persia (not the remake)...that aren't movie games...games that are linear...tells a story but you play it because you want to know how it ends and satisfied at the end that you finished the story. (I love games like God of War, Prince of Persia, Black and White)

As for the online part, yea...I love my DS, I love my Wii..but if the wii goes down the road that the DS went down...
frown.gif

We need some kind of lobby..something that lets people see what games each other have...start a room wanting a game of SSBM or something...people put in their DISC and away you go
biggrin.gif
...but unfortunately...that chances of that happening for Wii seems slim
frown.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think they are, they're spending a lot of time on the more hardcore games, the casual games are quicker and easier to make so they've come out sooner while stuff like Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, SSBM, Disaster are taking longer.

They're taking more time on these games for a reason!

kirra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm alright with the games being "casual" right now, but I'm sure there will be more developers making a wider library to suit casual/hardcore gamers in the future.

Golin

Trophies
Website
www.loswades.frih.net
XP
Country
United States
Hardcore: Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Casual: Wii Play, Wii Health, Wii Fitness, Wii Music, Warioware.

I think it's balanced... so far. Hopefully Nintend make a dvelopment team just for casual games while keeping their existing teams more towards their fans.

GameDragon

Mugiwara RAWR!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dont think they are, they're spending a lot of time on the more hardcore games, the casual games are quicker and easier to make so they've come out sooner while stuff like Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, SSBM, Disaster are taking longer.

Your right, good games do take time to develop. But while all these games are still in development, more and more casual games will pop up. It's obvious Nintendo is focused on casual gaming, they even changed the name of their console to reflect casual gaming
tongue.gif

Hardcore: Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

I think it's balanced... so far. Hopefully Nintend make a dvelopment team just for casual games while keeping their existing teams more towards their fans.

Balanced? I think your missing quite a few games my friend. Wii Sports, Elebits, Rayman: Raving Rabbids, Super Monkey Ball, and even Kororinpa... theres probably more but thats just all I can remember right now. And like I said, these games are being developed quicker and much more casual games will be released before even half of those hardcore games are even finished in development.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Your right, good games do take time to develop. But while all these games are still in development, more and more casual games will pop up. It's obvious Nintendo is focused on casual gaming, they even changed the name of their console to reflect casual gaming
tongue.gif

Balanced? I think your missing quite a few games my friend. Wii Sports, Elebits, Rayman: Raving Rabbids, Super Monkey Ball, and even Kororinpa... theres probably more but thats just all I can remember right now. And like I said, these games are being developed quicker and much more casual games will be released before even half of those hardcore games are even finished in development.
I think Golin missed those games out as those were 3rd party games which Nintendo are not making, even if you added the 3rd party games it still pretty balanced if you look at the release list.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel they hit a great balance between the two. Hardcore gaming is just a loose term it's really hard to say what that really is. Casual gamers could use online to mess with stuff just as much as some hardcore nut who puts 30hours into some online fps each week. TO say in the poll that the system (for a choice) is not defining modern gaming because it isn't focusing on online play is grossly ignorant.

The system is 4 months out of the gate and as it stands the online isn't even up yet outside of the soon to come Pokemon unless you count Elebits transfers and the channels the system has. Fact is though it seems both casuals, never before types, and the hardcore can all seemingly appreciate the ease and weird fun value of stuff like the packed in Sports title among others so I think they're on the right path.

Give it 2 years, if they're crapping out and somehow Sony comes out of the toilet and slaps around both NIntendo and MS...then an argument could be easily made for screwing it up.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As for online... I say it should be kind of a standard for most games. I mean, there are a lot of really good fighting games are out there but how many can you name are online? I despise X360, however, I must congratulate them on nice online service.

Why exactly do you despise the 360? I felt the same eay until actually owning one. I gotta say that currently, its the best system to own IMO, and thats coming from a hardcore Nintendo fanboy. I love my Wii, but the future 360 lineup is killer and the online play is the best out. I do think Nintendo is focused too much on the casual gamer now. Sure, there's a lot of money to be made in that area but dammit, don't abandon the hardcore gamers either. I want SSBB and MP3 NOW!!!!

stop_loading

Trophies
XP
Country

how's twilight hardcore? it's way too easy

it's like made for babies

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Why exactly do you despise the 360? I felt the same eay until actually owning one. I gotta say that currently, its the best system to own IMO, and thats coming from a hardcore Nintendo fanboy. I love my Wii, but the future 360 lineup is killer and the online play is the best out. I do think Nintendo is focused too much on the casual gamer now. Sure, there's a lot of money to be made in that area but dammit, don't abandon the hardcore gamers either. I want SSBB and MP3 NOW!!!!
I agree with you! Though I'd give both my Wii and 360 up for the existence of the DS. Microsoft, hate them as I may, have done a decent job with Xbox Live and getting Japanese developers on board. The stuff Capcom have produced is brilliant and Microsoft's own developers (though poached from the PC world) have done some very worthwhile stuff.

Another thing Nintendo has always made casual games, from the NES to now.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
If by "hardcore" you mean shooty-the-aliens games played by 13 year olds against their internet friends, yeah, the Wii's not got many of those.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Some of the DS releases have been a bit weak lately, but nintendo have released a lot of good DS games. You can't say games like trama centre are made for a casual gamer (Maybe the first few levels). I would like to see more online games as I think thats where its at now. Once you finish a game on single player being able to play it online gives the game more life.

Kaphis

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
wow~ I like everyone's comments~ ^^

the poll choice there is for people who "feel" that online defines modern gaming~ I truly feel that online feature defines a "modern" game...I am not saying a "great" game, there are definitly crappy online features through into a game..but honestly speaking...next-gen, with the availibility of wireless network everywhere, is all about online play... I think all three company agree (unlike the graphics aspect) that online is where its at ^^;;

edit: with that said, I am happy to hear about gamespy's involvement with the online capability of the wii...I am ont saying gamespy is awesome at what they do but its a step in the right direction.

edit2: reading more into it ==" ....does it mean it will just be tracking like the DS?

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think they're concentrating on casual gamers too much... There are few honestly good games. However, i can imagine Nintendo coming out with the WorldWideWii channel where your Mii is in an empty room with several doors, representing all available online games. Control your Mii through the door, and you enter an endless room full of other people's Miis where you can casually chat, and challenge people directly. Then it will probably ask for the disc (or have the disc be put in instead of an endless hallway of available games) and you have a vs. match
biggrin.gif
your miis teleport out of the room and people who want a more than 2 person game sit in drum circles waiting for enough miis to sit down and join them. That would be cool, and after awhile annoying, but i'd like to see that anyway.

I (personally) need a game that will influence me to RAGE and KILL EVERYTHING I SEE! GoW works well, but after seeing 300, i need another game
biggrin.gif
possibly a fully immersive 300 game? Please?

Reminds me... Wii so far is the only system that has not been tainted by numerous movie games.

Digeman

Trophies
XP
Country
I think us hardcore gamers are on a hold for the moment. As stated previously the games that are out now are meant to catch the casual gamers eye instead of us dedicated nintendo fans. But i'm not that worried since i already know that the wii will have a huge lineup of awesome kickass titles that will definetely satisfy our hardcore gamer needs (that sounded so wrong in so many ways
laugh.gif
) And I already expected that the wii would have a semi-good game start but will eventually turn it around and bring us the real good games *cough*nds*cough*

Ps. I have one question though about this online thing. I heard that the nintendo wii would have online games like ssbb
huh.gif
. But i did also hear that it would use the friend code system which i'm not too excited about but what're ya gonna do
nyanya.gif

strummer12

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, they are. anyone who says otherwise are in godamn denial. I've been with Nintendo since x-mas 1988 (which is a time that most of you wern't even born yet!) and I have had every single one of their consoles. Never have I seen such catering to the popcap crowd as I have with Wii. I love this machine, but they are seriously fucking alienating their loyalists with their shitty party games and greenlighting those fucking ubi soft ports.

I am severly dissapointed. Metroid will probably not make it out this year and all people like me have to look forward to is Mario Galaxy (godamn amazing!!!), but that's not enough. Maybe at the new E3 they will announce shit for this year, but the bulk of it won't appear till 2008. I can't wait that long. all I have is Zelda, Excite Truck and Wii sports. I don't see anything that appeals to me soon but Mario. This is fucking bullshit and I am glad I own an 360, but they have a serious drought right now too.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
There are 'hardcore' games coming to the Wii but nothing really right now which is a shame. For now they are pushing the 'casual factor' which is a bit irritating to people who want more complex and fulfilling games.

The worst part is definitely Nintendo's online strategy, they basically just alienated and pissed off every hardcore player with their online network. As you said if Counter-Strike had only the simple option: "Press the A button to connect to some random people and we'll drop their connections just before the match is set up and make you wait over five minutes just to get in a game with only one other person" ....it would fail miserably.

Hardcore games, they're coming

Online, sucks to be a hardcore gamer.....a lot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho