Hardware Is my laptop reaally that bad?

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Hi. I got a new laptop a few weeks ago and id like to install some emulators and games.
Specs:
CPU:

Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor 4M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz

Display: 17.3' 1920x1080 FHD

RAM: 8GB DDR4 2133MHz kingston

Internal storage: 1TB 2.5' 5400rpm

GPU: nVidia GTX 950M - 2 GB

Other stuff.
DVD RW DL LightScribe
Bluetooth 4.0
HDMi port
Realtek lan 10/100/1000
Realtek wifi a/b/g/n
2x USB 3.0.

Nope i don't wanna run "popular" games like minecraft and cs go. I wanna run skyrim se gta v and want to play some gamecube games.
I might add more ram.

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Your RAM should be sufficient. But just keep in mind that, while there are some great names like "i7", "GTX950M", those are laptop versions. That means that they are slightly worse than a desktop version, being that they have to save some power. And, being a laptop, it is prone to warming up QUICKLY, which will underclock your hardware, giving even less performance.

EDIT: In short, next time you're buying hardware to play games on, if it doesn't have to be portable: just go for a desktop. You can buy a pre-made which can be a bit expensive, but you can also build one yourself (which isn't that bad, just do some research). Some webshops (at least here in the Netherlands) will also have an option to build one on their site, meaning that it is an interactive list of parts that will give an alert if parts aren't compatibe)
EDIT 2: Oh and whatever you choose, premade or building it yourself, it can be a lot better hardware-wise, while also being cheaper.

Last edited by Wabsta,
Reactions: NoNAND

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Your RAM should be sufficient. But just keep in mind that, while there are some great names like "i7", "GTX950M", those are laptop versions. That means that they are slightly worse than a desktop version, being that they have to save some power. And, being a laptop, it is prone to warming up QUICKLY, which will underclock your hardware, giving even less performance.

EDIT: In short, next time you're buying hardware to play games on, if it doesn't have to be portable: just go for a desktop. You can buy a pre-made which can be a bit expensive, but you can also build one yourself (which isn't that bad, just do some research). Some webshops (at least here in the Netherlands) will also have an option to build one on their site, meaning that it is an interactive list of parts that will give an alert if parts aren't compatibe)
Not to mention, that is a U series i7, which is significantly below standard mobile i7's, I'd say.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Well your laptop will do well in most single core tasks, multi-core...well you don't have any- Anything less than 4 physical cores should be not regarding as multicore CPUs. Any way, you have 4 threads to go on- performance in games like GTA V and Skyrim should be fine, although you'll have to drop to 720p to get 60fps in high-ish settings.

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Having 8Gb of RAM and an i7 microprocessor is considered bad?
I have an i3 microprocessor and 4Gb of RAM...
Well... since you want to play gamecube games you might want to use ishiiruka Dolphin instead of the regular Dolphin version (If the regular version of Dolphin doesn't run well on your PC for some reason)

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Having 8Gb of RAM and an i7 microprocessor is considered bad?
I have an i3 microprocessor and 4Gb of RAM...
Well... since you want to play gamecube games you might want to use ishiiruka Dolphin instead of the regular Dolphin version (If the regular version of Dolphin doesn't run well on your PC for some reason)
I mean, it is a CPU rated at 15W. It is not meant as a performance processor.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't think so :unsure:
Welp, it's time to buy and mount a new PC then some day...
Pretty much every low-power device now has a U series i5 or i7 kek.

Sent from my cave of despair where I stalk Seriel

Reactions: AxlSt00pid

mbcrazed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're fine to play Skyrim and GameCube games! I have an i5, and I think a 720m Nvidia GPU in my laptop and I run a lot of GC games and play Skyrim on medium settings! I think you shouldn't worry! Now, you won't get the best performance, but they will still be playable

Last edited by mbcrazed,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Give me your old lappy.

Look at me piss poor specs:
2db86a1fe3.png

In all seriousness tho, that one isn't bad at all.

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nvm guys im getting a gaming laptop with i7 7700hq gtx1050ti 4gb and 16 gb ram is this enough at least
Great specs, price? Should be good for most new games with 1080p and high settings.
Are you sure you don't want desktop? You can make with i5/ryzen + nvidia 1070 and it's gonna be x2 faster than nvidia 1050 ti.

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Great specs, price? Should be good for most new games with 1080p and high settings.
Are you sure you don't want desktop? You can make with i5/ryzen + nvidia 1070 and it's gonna be x2 faster than nvidia 1050 ti.
I can't stand desktops no matter how powerful.
I like laptops because they are portable.
Speaking of desktops i would never get a ryzen. AMD is not a choice for me. I would get the new i9 if id get a desktop.

And staying for two long staring at a big monitor hurts my eyes.

Last edited by NoNAND,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sicklyboy, Hey