macolo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi,
I bought recently Zelda Phantom Hourglass, but I doubt if it is original. The game randomly appears in my 3DS after inserting, but if appears, it works.
Secondly, the font of text on reverse looks strange, it is higher and different than my other games.
I attach photos. Could you help me and say: is my game fake or original?
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,162
  • IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    376.5 KB · Views: 1,543
  • IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    425.2 KB · Views: 1,129

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi,
I bought recently Zelda Phantom Hourglass, but I doubt if it is original. The game randomly appears in my 3DS after inserting, but if appears, it works.
Secondly, the font of text on reverse looks strange, it is higher and different than my other games.
Thank you.
It looks like a professionally made fake game. If it works, I wouldn't question it. Because, that card could've came with a virus. But, you got the game. But, yeah, it looks fake to me.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you can open it up then do so as it will allow us to tell very easily, and if it does not work and the contacts on it and your 3ds* look clean then it is "broken" anyway so hey.

*I don't care if it works for 3ds games. If it works for other DS games then maybe.

I have not kept up with the DS fake games world but most of the ones we saw were just cheap DS flash carts programmed and certainly not ones that would work on a modern/fully updated 3ds, does it appear as Zelda when it does appear (others reading might know but as far as I am aware no flash cart used Zelda PH to bypass the checks). To that end it is not entirely without hope that it is legit and maybe just has dirty contacts (or your 3ds does), a bad solder join somewhere and maybe that the seller printed off a label to go on it (assuming it is a replica label and not just a sun damaged one or something). That said it is about the sort of time that we start seeing the proper fakes appear, a quick scan of the various Amazons says Zelda PH is not the most expensive game out there and they usually do go for the more expensive ones (something like Elven Land I guess), though Nintendo staples are common enough targets so it is not like they faked a bad suduko game or something.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Thank you all for that quicky answers! I will try to return the game to the seller.
Hold on, does the game still play properly...? If so, you should keep it. You don't want to get in to that mess with the seller.

macolo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hold on, does the game still play properly...? If so, you should keep it. You don't want to get in to that mess with the seller.

Why not? I bought a fake game, but there was no word about it in the offer. I would like to have an original one in my collection :)

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Why not? I bought a fake game, but there was no word about it in the offer. I would like to have an original one in my collection :)
Collection. I see. Send it back. ;P I too collect DS games. ( Well, 3DS games rather. ) I want all of mine to be real.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
well everyone told you soit's ok XD
If ypu haven't payed too much for it I think you should have it (or gift me :v) instead of messing with the seller, because looks a good quality, may you can ask discount in a new deal with him since you got fooled? haha

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I said it could've had one. Not one mention of " It might have one. " ( Yes, DS and DSi malware does exist. )
Where did DSi malware come into things? I never saw anything along those lines. Also I doubt people would make a fake convincing enough to work on a 3ds and include something in it.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Where did DSi malware come into things? I never saw anything along those lines. Also I doubt people would make a fake convincing enough to work on a 3ds and include something in it.
If anyone would play an infected cart into their DSi, It'd be nighty night to that system. I actually have a game ( card is foreign; language unreadable. ) that has brick code in it for the DS. It messed it up. -
-
I was simply stating that his game didn't have anything wrong with it, so they should keep it.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
the only thing i know was a DS homebrew that bricked your console....
that would replace the firmware with a image or a bad annoying GIF...
but i don't remember very well, i think it was disguised as flashme, or something like that since you require to short a connection in order to write to the ds firmware...

anyway, that thing would brick the console, so in this case, this cartridge is not a "virus".

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You messed up a DSi with DS brick code? I have never heard of that before and it should not really be possible -- the DS lite largely fixed the bugs in question (as did flashme on the original DS) and that would be a regression in security.
There could be a new bug that was exploited over the ones used by DS malware and there could well have been a regression but I have tried to follow this area (homebrew/hacking delivered brickings and corruption of devices), especially for the DS family and had not heard anything like that. Equally I have to wonder if there was not some kind of short or something on the pins, such a thing has killed many a device over the years.

Basically in the security world there is a term called "movie plot threat", this is not quite that (it is quite realistic to be able to make DS bricking code if you really cared, unlike being able to blow things up by hacking, and any marginally competent ROM hacker that has got as far as basic assembly hacking could do things here) but every time this has come up it has been people worrying about nothing for no reason. I guess this is what tbb043 and I wanted to head off the pass as it were.

the only thing i know was a DS homebrew that bricked your console....
that would replace the firmware with a image or a bad annoying GIF...
but i don't remember very well, i think it was disguised as flashme, or something like that since you require to short a connection in order to write to the ds firmware...
http://www.darkfader.net/ds/ has more on the two out there that you are probably referencing. I believe some copied it into ROMs/padded it out into ROM size and maybe changed the icons, I am not aware of any doing anything I would call proper hacking for it (I am half reluctant to say as saying is 90% of the way to a guide and I would really not inspire idiots that can not take the 5 minutes to figure it out otherwise).
As far as I am aware there was never a version with fake flashme. It was proposed in a discussion once (if flashme protects you then if you get people to bypass it thinking it is an update to flashme...) but I never even saw it worked up into something like that.

Takeshineale128

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Thank you.
EU one looks like that

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its fake the lower left of the sticker is straight edge while a normal card has a curved edge and the words legend of zelda are orange and not red.
24972.jpg

Last edited by Xenon Hacks,

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
You messed up a DSi with DS brick code? I have never heard of that before and it should not really be possible -- the DS lite largely fixed the bugs in question (as did flashme on the original DS) and that would be a regression in security.
There could be a new bug that was exploited over the ones used by DS malware and there could well have been a regression but I have tried to follow this area (homebrew/hacking delivered brickings and corruption of devices), especially for the DS family and had not heard anything like that. Equally I have to wonder if there was not some kind of short or something on the pins, such a thing has killed many a device over the years.

Basically in the security world there is a term called "movie plot threat", this is not quite that (it is quite realistic to be able to make DS bricking code if you really cared, unlike being able to blow things up by hacking, and any marginally competent ROM hacker that has got as far as basic assembly hacking could do things here) but every time this has come up it has been people worrying about nothing for no reason. I guess this is what tbb043 and I wanted to head off the pass as it were.

http://www.darkfader.net/ds/ has more on the two out there that you are probably referencing. I believe some copied it into ROMs/padded it out into ROM size and maybe changed the icons, I am not aware of any doing anything I would call proper hacking for it (I am half reluctant to say as saying is 90% of the way to a guide and I would really not inspire idiots that can not take the 5 minutes to figure it out otherwise).
As far as I am aware there was never a version with fake flashme. It was proposed in a discussion once (if flashme protects you then if you get people to bypass it thinking it is an update to flashme...) but I never even saw it worked up into something like that.
I meant all of this was done on a DSi. I wasn't indicating a specific system. My English skills are failing me right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?