Is it worth buying this faulty Switch console?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Harsky, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Saw a boxed Nintendo Switch for sale for a little over £100. The fault is that it's stuck on the pairing the joycon screen. In theory I could just buy the replacement joycons and have a working one again but a part of me is worried that it might be the actual "tablet" part that's at fault so is it worth taking a risk for a cheap Switch?

2. Bowl0l

Bowl0l GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2015
    Malaysia
    the details are not clear.
    The joycons are not working wirelessly?
    Does it work in handheld mode?
    Can the seller share screenshot of the Switch in handheld mode(battery level)?

3. james50a

james50a Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2010
    Canada
    Just do it. Switch is probably still under Nintendo warranty anyways

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I don't know if anybody has properly gone into switch diagnostics and failure modes yet (few people do for consoles). To that end I doubt anybody can say with some kind of percentage certainty that yeah it is usually this simple fix that will total less than a new device to fix all in, or alternatively say no it is likely a fault you are not going to want to fix.

Assuming it is sold as is that means what can you recover from it, and how easy it might be to sell such a thing (all well and good having replacement batteries but if they can't be readily swapped and have not had long enough to start kicking the bucket outside warranty/be for a device with hacks that might screw with warranty then yeah).

How much do you value the £100 odd? If it is going to be your entertainment budget for a while then that is one thing, if it is the sort of thing you blow on a random Friday night then that is a different matter.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  5. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    if the console is faulty you need to send it into big N to fix it and they will update to the latest FW afterwards. so depending on if you want homebrew or not that's the risk you take buying it. does it even say what FW it's on?

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Nov 5, 2017
  6. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Not too concerned about the FW but would Nintendo even accept a faulty second hand console even though it's not even a year old?

7. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Wu-Wei

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Finding that out myself.
    http://en-americas-support.nintendo...261/~/set-up-a-repair-for-my-nintendo-product

EDIT:
    Didn't see you were from the UK. https://nintendoservicecentre.co.uk/repairs
    It says you need proof of purchase.

Last edited by Jiehfeng, Nov 5, 2017
  8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    as long as it's still under warranty it wouldn't matter who owns it. the serial number will confirm that.

9. epickid37

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    why would i tell you stalkers where i live?
    could you boot into maintenance mode and reset it? it would be worth buying if that would reset the set-up menu