Is it possible to play Zelda Four Swords with just one player?

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by Gameboy MAX, Jul 7, 2013.

Jul 7, 2013
    • Newcomer

Gameboy MAX New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I have Zelda - A link to the past, with four swords. The four swords game claims it can be played with "up to" four players. Meaning it doesn't have to have exactly four players. And it didn't say 2-4 players. So I am guessing the other players are NPC's when they are not controlled. So it should work with just one player. Can someone show me to a ROM hack, or something, to enable me to play four swords alone? Thanks in advance.
    • Reporter

FAST6191 Techromancer

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    It really does need 2 or more human players -- plenty of the puzzles require simultaneous movement/actions so there is no real option for a ROM hack short of removing/nerfing said puzzles (kind of defeats the object) or writing a full AI to play it (a reasonably hard hack).

GBA emulators should be able to emulate the link* though so you do not need to go to the effort of getting enough GBA systems, copies of the game/flash cards and cables to do it.

*you should be able to do it over the internet with something like http://vba-m.com/ if you put the effort in (either port forwarding, possibly kalliera or doing something like VPN). Personally I would host both on a single machine and have someone remote in though.

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Message Count:
    United States
    As FAST6191 said, it does need at least 2 players. The game has separate pools of puzzles solvable by 2 players, 3 players, and all 4. When playing with less than 4 players, it simply doesn't present you with puzzles that require more players than you physically have.

The Gamecube version, Four Swords Adventures, has an option to play with just one player, using various formations to control the AI of the other 3 computer players. But this does not exist in the GBA version.

If you really want to try it out by yourself, no$gba can emulate multiple linked consoles at once for just this sort of thing, but you'll need to figure out how to reliably control both characters at the same time. For playing with a friend, try what FAST6191 suggested.
    • Former Staff

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Message Count:
    Colombia

Arras I will be your hexahedron today

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    The DSiWare port IS playable with one player, but if you don't have that there is no way to obtain it anymore.
    • Newcomer

Gameboy MAX New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Thanks guys. Oh well. I am creating my own custom GBA handheld system, and will be buying a second GBA, so maby my bro and I can take it for a test drive. Thx!

Darkipod SELL ME GBA FLASH CART

Message Count:
    United States
    What do you mean custom GBA handheld system?
    • Newcomer

Gameboy MAX New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Oh, I'm taking the original GBA mixing it with an SP, and adding a dump load of modifications to it, giving it a custom casing, and upgrades. I will also have a built in flash cart and software. I will be calling it the Gameboy Nexus. It will also have built in SNES, NES, GB, and GBC emulators. And hopefully, if all go's well, a Game Gear emulator as well.

Darkipod SELL ME GBA FLASH CART

Message Count:
    United States
    Well I wish you luck, should make a progress thread.
    • Newcomer

Gameboy MAX New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I suppose I will. I haven't started yet, because I didn't have the money to do it. I now have a job and Debit Card. So I can begin my online purchases. I will start the thread wen it gets off the ground in the first place.

Anyway. An administrator can close this thread if they want. Thanks for the help guys.

superspudz2000 New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    what....i mean.....just....what!

that has to be the most off the wall comment i have seen. it sounds incredibly ambitious.

what are you using for a custom case and why would you need one?
    which part is going to be the controller and why would they need "mixing"?
    upgrades?
    what modifications are you doing to it, overclocking?
    by built in flashcart do you mean sticking a flashcart on it, and its buried in the case so you cant access it?
    why is the game gear emulator only "if all goes well"?

grossaffe New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I'm not sure how you're trying to accomplish this. Is your plan to use original hardware for the GBA and then extra hardware to emulate the other systems?

edit: wait, you wouldn't need GB and GBC emulators if you were using GBA hardware, so this must be a pure emulator setup

superspudz2000 New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    forgot to answer OP.

Yes, Four Swords GBA (from Link to the Past) is perfectly playable by yourself with 2 gameboys hooked together with a link cable.

pushing rocks is no problem, other parts are a bit tricky, like pulling an enemy apart, but not impossible. also Gameboy Player has a link port, so you could use some combination of Gamecube controllers to play it.

SPONSORED LINKS