Homebrew Is it possible to copy a save from a physical game and use it for a digital one?

Jazza2310

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I want to remove the outlines from Pokemon Moon, but I don't want to change the cartridge. Is it at all possible for me to use the saves on my physical copy on a digital copy? Sorry for noobish question/thread.

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I want to remove the outlines from Pokemon Moon, but I don't want to change the cartridge.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but iirc you can't permanently modify cart data; you can only soft-patch the outline removal mod through CFW/Hans.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is an app in the eShop that does that.
Well this option also exist, and least it was mentioned, glad someone didn't forget. Seem like everyone else here just try to avoid eshop at all cost when they suddenly get a9lh systems. :blink:

I'll add more options, Besides JKSM.

The fbi installer can also export and import save data. Also another app called SVDT does the same, but i guess not many people use it as much as JKSM, i never used it since i always use fbi installer. So there some options. :)

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
Well this option also exist, and least it was mentioned, glad someone didn't forget. Seem like everyone else here just try to avoid eshop at all cost when they suddenly get a9lh systems. :blink:

The fbi installer can also export and import save data. Also another app called SVDT does the same, but i guess not many people use it as much as JKSM, i never used it since i always use fbi installer. So there some options. :)

Personally I'd advise not using SVDT as it's quite unstable and old, JKSM is most ideal to refer.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I'd advise not using SVDT as it's quite unstable and old, JKSM is most ideal to refer
My point was just to give options. I dunno how bad SVDT has been compared to fbi or JKSM, i only use FBI installer. Since we use it anyway for installing cia files, it make sense to me cause you would have to install another cia just to manage saves, having homebrew installed as cia means less room for games to be installed, fbi also manage NDS save data, i don't remember JKSM having that function.

DShunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for this, I knew the meaning of ROM but I did not know that it means you cannot change a cart.

ROM = Read Only Memory

Which means it can only be read not written or re-written. The reason why commercial software discs you purchase are called CD-ROM, the data can only be read from but not written to.

For the most part the ROM cart it's self can have a separate small section of flash memory installed into it to be written and re-written, this are usually only used for storing user configuration like option settings and save progress.

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
Question. If I have the save file from a physical game can I pick up where I left off if I use it for the same game same region but as a CIA file? If so how do I do it?

In a sense yeah, although different region I'm not sure of, that could cause some problems, although you'd just extract save using JKSM from cart, back the save up you extracted then once you created save in the digital, inject/overwrite the digital save :)

As you said, the region part may cause it to corrupt so make sure you back it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
actually carts come with ExHeadr (the title) ExeFS (executable file system for saves) and RomFS (rom aka the game)
Which are all stored on the rom chip (with the exception of card2 games that use a different type of chip that can set specific regions to read only and leave others as writable for storing the saves)

Ps exefs is just the executable section of the game (the code.bin) and the stuff read by the home menu before actually launching the game I.e icon, banner and menu music, the romfs is used to store all the game assets(in game crap)

Most carts (referred to as card1 games) have a separate spi save chip for storing saves

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Pandaxclone2

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
so for some reason an executable filesystem would be stored on a "read only" memory chip? what reason would that be?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

im pretty sure thats not how read only memory works .3.
.....no it's the excitable code section....like a exe on a pc doesn't ever have to change itself, it's just means it's code to be run

And no as I mentioned card2 games (which is only about 8 titles which are mostly Pokémon) use a nand chip with specific regions locked to read only

Edit: ok now you edited this time :P

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
.....no it's the excitable code section....like a exe on a pic doesn't ever have to change itself, it's just means it's code to be run

And no as I mentioned card2 games (which is only about 8 titles which are mostly Pokémon) use a nand chip with specific regions locked to read only
"you changed youre message well no complaints now"

shortened the thread .3.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

.....no it's the excitable code section....like a exe on a pc doesn't ever have to change itself, it's just means it's code to be run

Edit: ok now you edited this time :P
indeed. as theres no reason to confuse someone who stumbles the thread. also -follows-

moneychild

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a tread answering this somewhere in this site.
You can find it by searching card 1 to card 2 i think or cart to CIA save. (I have not used it in a long while so I don't remember the tread name.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @NinStar I like it gentle, then rough, then gentle again. Then I nap. +1