Gaming Is it possible to change a game's region?

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
OP
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious if it's possible to change a games region. Things like the HOME button screen and the Save/Load screens. If it is possible, does anyone know how?
I've tried adjusting the PARAM.SFO but to no avail. I've check through a Japanese game and through an English game and adjusted them but got nothing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The "region" of video games that are not on home consoles is completely "made up" and a matter of a few variables - they can be changed, but are more often removed, making the game Region Free.

CrashmanX

OP
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Why bother? The PSP is region-free.

Because many games have a preset region. So menus like below are set and I'd like to get them into english.
MhSSM.png

The "region" of video games that are not on home consoles is completely "made up" and a matter of a few variables - they can be changed, but are more often removed, making the game Region Free.

And what variables would I have to modify to change this? I've tried using UMDGen to change it but sadly to no avail.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And what variables would I have to modify to change this? I've tried using UMDGen to change it but sadly to no avail.
I was talking in general - all games on the PSP are region-free, only UMD Movies are locked. I'm afraid that the menu language is hard-coded into the game, I can't really think of a way to change that language without modifying the game proper, and with that I have little experience.

In any case, it's not a matter of "regions" as those don't apply to PSP games - it's a matter of the in-game language selector.

CrashmanX

OP
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Hrm... alright. That's what I was afraid of. Well I MIGHT be able to find that. But I'm not 100% sure where to look. I'll have to dig through a few of my English titles. Thanks though.

CrashmanX

OP
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I understand that. However there's clearly a way to change that since games like MediEvil show those menus in English and other games show it in other languages. It's also a very common menu message so it's stored on the PSP itself. I just need to find out What changes it and where said data is stored.

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France

StorMyu

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You have to know some assembly to understand what is going on but, one stupid way to do it is to launch JPCSP, make a huge "Dump Code" and You search in the file for the syscall, I'll have to ask which one is the good one though I don't really remember xD

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
When one ROM/ISO is one language and another is another, it's not that both games contain the languages and a switch is flipped... it's that two versions of the game were produced, and both sold under the same label with the difference being noted as the "region".

Now, in some cases games DO have hidden languages in them, but this is a rare exception, and usually only the in-game text is changed (not graphics or save names and such).

StorMyu

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's not what he's talking about, this "menus" are from the PSP system, and are generated by it.
They can be initialize by any games, and the setting for its language is set when you ask for it, unless it's set by default.

CrashmanX

OP
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Rydian, no. That's not what I'm talking about at all. There are MENUS for the PSP ITSELF, much like the PS3's HOME SCREEN, which is changed to a different language but generated by the system and not the game. It's why you can tell the PSP to be a "fake region" and the menus will be in Japanese or whatever language you switch to.

CrashmanX

OP
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Duh? However it IS a singlular data value switch that is flipped in 99% of PSP games given that it is the PSP Menus and not the actual game data. It's more or less a simple "What language is this?" Value.

StorMyu

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Actually, it is possible, and if it's located somewhere, it's in the Eboot.bin
try to look for different Encoding (it's probably Unicode though)
I'll look further in January as I said ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I bet you don't pirate game either