Is it just me or Super Mario Odyssey soundtrack is a bit "meh"?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Stercate79, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:10 PM.

1. Stercate79
    OP

Stercate79 Advanced Member

Oct 25, 2016
    United States
    I mean, for sure the soundtrack is really good of course, but compared to other mario games such as Mario Galaxy or even Mario 64 it's just "off" imho. I'd give it a 8/10.
    Maybe the Cascade Kingdom ost is the only memorable one and Jump up super star doesn't really count to me, it's a real song.
    What do you think?

DarthDub likes this.
  2. SavageNoble

SavageNoble Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2017
    UK
    I wanted to make the opposite thread. The OST was one of the only ones in the world I actually noticed. It was great.

sup3rgh0st and MajinCubyan like this.
  3. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    its definitely just you

MajinCubyan likes this.
  4. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    You're excluding Jump-up! Super Star?

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I agree it's nowhere near as good as Super Mario Galaxy's soundtrack. But it's hard to reach that level of epicness.
    It's pretty good though and besides that one song it suits the game. Can't really complain.
    It doesn't even fit the game, it's just weird.

Slattz, wg93589, DarthDub and 4 others like this.
  6. smileyhead

smileyhead I am DEFINITELY a madman with a box.

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    I love the soundtrack.

7. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    How doesn't it fit the game? Because there's words? I find that to be far less alienating in a Mario game than actual voice acting like in Sunshine.

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It's the style of it, it sounds more like something from a musical than game music. They sort of made it work by making it part of the plot for that level but there's still something off-putting about it. On top of that I just don't like the song. Not that I like the level that much either, it feels like it doesn't fit in the Mario universe. I commend them for trying to do new things with the series though.

9. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I dunno, I'd say that instrumentally it sounds right at home among the most classic Mario, especially when you get the 8bit version.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  10. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    Yup, the soundtrack was extremely forgettable. Nowhere near as catchy as other Mario games, including 2D ones. Imo 8/10 is a bit too generous. I'd say 7/10.

DarthDub, Stercate79 and Memoir like this.
  11. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    I don't remember any of the music from Odyssey, and I played it just yesterday. The castle theme from SM64 is there.. Lol

invaderyoyo and Stercate79 like this.
  12. Xathya

Xathya is still the shill??

Aug 20, 2017
    Australia
    green hil zone
    the sound ost is very very amazing in my opinions!!!! easy give it 9.5/10 for third theme :D

13. Stercate79
    OP

Stercate79 Advanced Member

Oct 25, 2016
    United States
    Looks like not

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Me too. Except Rapid Falls and Jump Up super star. Two ost...

14. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    IMO the music in Mario has always been good, not great. Jump Up Super Star is the first time in any Mario game that the music takes center stage, and probably the first time it deserved to as well. When I think about Mario music I can't help but think back to Super Mario World, and that likely only stuck with me because I was young. Generally speaking it's just background noise when it comes right down to it. The vast majority of video game music loops too much, so I end up going with my own MP3 soundtrack anyway.

Oh! I almost forgot about DDR Mario, which did remix some classic Mario tracks into something a little more interesting.

Last edited by Xzi, Dec 10, 2017 at 10:22 PM
    TotalInsanity4 and Memoir like this.
  15. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    I'm wondering if it's just not something that happens as you grow up. Thinking about it? Most OST I don't remember post GC era... I think Mario? I think SMW or old school SMB, even 64 and Sunshine.. Zelda? ALttP or OoT... Hm...

I actually don't remember ANY of the music from Breath of the Wild, or Odyssey. I seriously have played these games in the past week. The ONE recent game I enjoyed the soundtrack to was DOOM (2016).

Hm.

16. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    Wooded Kingdom, Bowser Kingdom, Peach Castle, Cascade Kingdom, Jump Up Superstar, New Donk City, Honeyridge Lune Escape are great.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  17. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Considering Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 were the highest peak when it came to music in the series, it's not surprising that the ost for Super Mario Odyssey fails to deliver. Two songs are super good in the game and the rest are just simply good.

18. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    I can remember music from a large number of Zelda's, including Zelda 2 x), but mario... exept the Overworld Theme of course... can't name a lot... maybe the bob-omb music x).
    I remember that I was thrilled by galaxy's music when i was playing, but again, can't remember any...
    Not that they're noot good, really not, but i never remembered a music from any mario really, but almost any 64 player can remember the Bolero of Fire x).

19. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    It was good, but nowhere near as good as Super Mario Galaxy. In fact, the only tracks I remember from Odyssey are Jump Up, Super Star!, Honeylune Ridge Escape, and the Wooded Kingdom theme. Forgot the others, but they weren't bad. I'd rank Odyssey right behind Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2.

20. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

But I nave to say this is my favourite