Hardware Is it future proof?

soulrazor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was wondering , in a near future where possibly the servers that the xbox One will need to connect to be useable as a gaming system were shutdown.:unsure:
What use could it have?
Or will they ditch this limitation at that time?
What are your thoughts

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It remains to be seen but all indications at this time point to no it's not.

From a commercial perspective this version of Microsoft don't want it to be future proof either as it would impact on potential profits of the Xbox Two.

Reactions: Ray Lewis and Kurly
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If Microsoft actually care about their fans then their system would have to change at the end of it's life span so that you could play disk based games without checking with the server ..... or they may use the servers of the next gen ( If they make one )

But as we are realising recently they really don't care so I expect they'll just tell you to either buy their next console ( If they make one ) or get over it ....

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If Microsoft actually care about their fans then their system would have to change at the end of it's life span so that you could play disk based games without checking with the server

How does that work when the games are fully installed and activated by those online checks. People could just get a game, install it and then pass it on. The system MS have in place doesn't really support no dial-backs.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How does that work when the games are fully installed and activated by those online checks. People could just get a game, install it and then pass it on. The system MS have in place doesn't really support no dial-backs.

I didn't think about it like that actually ... Yes I guess it really isn't that future proof unless they release a new generation after the ONE and use the servers from that to keep the One running ( Which I assume they would do for at least a few months/years after the next gen launch)

Edit :

Or thinking about it they could just make it so you require the disk in the console to play the game ? Like with the current gen (Ps3/360)

soulrazor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It easy to be cynical about M$ right now, but I don't believe they are going to brick the xbone after the system has run its course.

I hope so too but i think they should explain those things even before launch, since it can be/is a deal breaker.

Even if so, hackers would find a way to untether it from the servers most likely.

I think that might even happen during its life cycle but having to wait for a hacker solution to this problem looks like a long shot to me.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think any company really cares about their fans.

Right. They care about their customers.

You guys do realize that Sony has gone on record and talked about how they have the checks in place to allow publishers (if they want to) to implement the exact same type of DRM that will be on the Xbox One? There is no DRM on Sony first party games. That's all they've said.

Also, you now have to pay for multiplayer. People seem to have missed that.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Seeing that the old xbox still had Live till early 2010, MS supporting the 360 for 5 more years (add another couple of years before they pull the 360 Live servers)

No, the Xbox One will also eventually be pulled from the servers.
By that time, Xlink Kai will still be around.
Or something similar to LiNK on the 360.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering , in a near future where possibly the servers that the xbox One will need to connect to be useable as a gaming system were shutdown.:unsure:
What use could it have?
Or will they ditch this limitation at that time?
What are your thoughts

I would say they'll be around for at least 7-10 years.

But good God man, why would you even consider getting the XBone?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep imagining some kind of dongle that some hacker will create that plugs into the internet port on the Xbone and will just say "ok" to everything.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
XBONE comes with almost 500gb, but a few part of it is "available", most part is locked for system use. This is an indication that "cloud powerd" games in fact send and recieve small packs of information (like any PC multiplayer game). So if they decide to stop supporting XBONE in future, MAYBE there is a chance that they release an update or some shit that allows people to be offline
The seccond possibility is that they start to charge people who want their data alive. This would be weird, but there is a chance.

You guys do realize that Sony has gone on record and talked about how they have the checks in place to allow publishers (if they want to) to implement the exact same type of DRM that will be on the Xbox One? There is no DRM on Sony first party games. That's all they've said.

I think that everybody is aware of that. But MS model is more deep then Sony's model. MS model requires an everyday conection simply to run ANY game. But you are right when tell that sony is not all against MS DRM model.

soulrazor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Look at all the MMOs and online servers that have been cut in the past. Try to play your average PS2, Dreamcast, or XBOX game online, no servers.

Shit goes down eventually. Whether it's sooner or later seems to depend on the level of interest.

the diference is even today if you have a working unit you can play your games...

Edit: Xbox One we have no idea yet

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I posted that on a thread I made about "Real reason EA is not supporting the Wii U...." People thought I was "Off my rocker" so to speak.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended