Gaming Is Half Life One still good?

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like it, it's got that papery oldschool fps feel, but there's also the one on the source engine with the same graphics but almost unnoticible default change but tweakable. Then there's black mesa which is on steam early access.

I recently installed xash on my android phone and have it playing the original half life game files pretty smoothly on lunch breaks, I like it.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It feels ancient. Blocky, and feels like not enough story or something. Can't place my finger on it but I know I like it for nostalgic reasons.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It feels ancient. Blocky, and feels like not enough story or something. Can't place my finger on it but I know I like it for nostalgic reasons.
Are you talking about Minecraft?

Joshinken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I never played the original, though i did play black mesa, and that was pretty great.

Though you do notice that its pretty old, because they make you solve way too simple physics puzzles, because they wanted to show off their physics engine.

Though it does do some things more advanced than current games. If you run into an npc he goes "sorry about that" or "that was akward. Sorry" and gets out of the GODDAMM DOORWAY LYDIA WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM.

I did hear the last levels were a bit very very bad, but black mesa actually changes the last level to what they were intended to be because they dont have to deal with technical limitations of the time.

Also the levels arent done yet, so i also havent played the new versions yet.

Reactions: Jonna

phreaksho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The answer to your question is: yes. It'll always be good. I've gone back and played it through many times. Not to mention different ports and the sequels and spinoffs, everything half-life is great. Except we are probably never going to see anything else from valve... :glare:

Fishmalk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HL1 is still good if you can stomach the classic late 90s graphics and wonky physics. Opposing Force is at least as good, and I've also heard good things about Blue Shift.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I think it still plays quite well for a game of it's age, but if you're very used to more "modern" FPS games you might opt for the Black Mesa remake instead. It's basically Half Life 1 remade in Source 2013, which means it has more advanced physics and particle effects, as well as better graphics and such. It is still missing the ending Xen levels, but hopefully they'll be able to add them in sometime this year so it'll 100% complete.

Reactions: gnmmarechal
D

Deleted User

I'm thinking of getting it but I'm not sure how well it's aged. Is it still good or does it feel archaic?
It's aged decently. I found it very difficult and sometimes hard to navigate, but it is still a blast to play. Definitely give it a try!

D

Deleted-379826

I'm currently playing through it, about a third way through and I think it's great. It has a very interesting premise and I like the older school design of gameplay. It can be quite the difficult game though and it's designed in a way that IMO feels like you're going the wrong way, although it's the way you really do have to go. I like it. It really feels like you're exploring the place. :P

MasterControl90

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.capslocktech.com
XP
Country
Italy
....feels like not enough story or something....

This is what I felt with half life 2 when it launched, something was missing, it wasn't enough, it stops with a huge cliffhanger (same with episode 2 ofc). On the other hand half life 1 has the perfect length, a multitude of different locations and events that made it complete even without an actual ending. In a nutshell the real story is the whole experience.

Edit: I'm not saying HL 2 is bad, it is still a wonderful and catchy experience, just something didn't felt right

Last edited by MasterControl90,
Reactions: omgpwn666

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
It barely has a plot (don't listen those who says otherwise, it's nostalgia-talking), so gameplay, kinda primitive by today's standards, can and will get a little monotone. But otherwise level design is great, so you can finish the game with joy if play in doses.

MasterControl90

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.capslocktech.com
XP
Country
Italy
It barely has a plot (don't listen those who says otherwise, it's nostalgia-talking), so gameplay, kinda primitive by today's standards, can and will get a little monotone. But otherwise level design is great, so you can finish the game with joy if play in doses.

Wasn't it the whole point of all hl series? There is a plot but you are in he middle of something bigger than you and it disclose very slowly during the whole series... We just miss the third chapter that should have disclosed may things closing the circle.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: morning fellas, it's my birthday