Is child abuse OK in Detroit: Become Human?

This morning I was watching The Wright Stuff on British breakfast television, a daily panel show featuring current news affairs, when I noticed the next topic to be discussed was about a 'computer game' called Detroit Become Human:

ws1.jpg

Detroit: Become Human is the latest game to come from creator David Cage, a 2018 Sony PlayStation 4 exclusive title, that featured a scene of potential domestic child abuse when a new trailer aired at Sony's Paris Game's Week 2017 Conference. You can see the full trailer here:

David Cage is no stranger to controversial subjects in his games. I've played Fahrenheit and also Heavy Rain and both of these games feature murder, the latter with a serial killer who kidnaps a child. So why is this new game suddenly on daytime breakfast TV? Because it's controversial, and without the controversial, off-screen scene, the game wouldn't have appeared on all of the mainstream gaming sites. So we all saw this a month ago, but only now is the printed press and big media catching onto it, because it's an easy target for a headline.

I'm no expert on what Detroit: Become Human is, but I gather from related media that it's a story-driven game with a heavy narrative, much like all of Cage's previous works. You play as an android and throughout the game are presented with game-changing decisions, but do you live through the story as an android would, or do you make the android 'Become Human' by making morally correct decisions as a human would, breaking the android's protocol, kind of I, Roboty. In theory, you could finish the game without even seeing this scene play out the wrong way. Choices given to the player are designed in such a way as to spark some kind of emotion from them. That is what this type of game is all about.

ws2.jpg

I've watched TWS on TV for many years, but today, with a headline like 'Ban Child Abuse Computer Game?' on the TV, I felt compelled to call the show and try and advocate as to why a scene like this in a video game isn't a reason to ban it. To my surprise, I got through!

Here is the clip of the entire discussion on the show today. If you want to skip forward to my call, I am caller number 1 at 05:50:

Mirror (UK):

Before the call I had plenty to say, but under pressure, live on air, with only a minute to talk, I don't think I got my point across as well as I could have, but it did make me think about how non-gamers perceive people who do enjoy experiencing and playing video games. I also wanted to tell Matthew (the host) to watch The Last of Us Part II trailer that was featured at the same gaming show in Paris, and is also a Sony exclusive title. I think that trailer has way more for the non-gaming masses to complain about, than the scenes from Detroit: Become Human. I've also been obliterating hundreds of Nazis with my Schockhammer in Wolfenstein 2 recently, literally blasting them into smithereens, but I've not seen that discussed on TV.

Obviously, this is a touchy subject matter, but in my eyes, it is no different than watching a movie or reading a book. The movie Sleepers immediately came to mind when I was trying to think of comparisons from other media, a 1996 film featuring some of hollywood's top stars suffering from child abuse. Why is that ok, but Detroit isn't?

It makes no sense.

Detroit: Become Human is expected to release worldwide in 2018.

:arrow:Detroit: Become Human Official Site

BetaXenon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I think it's just advertisement campaign, like with Mass Effect trilogy. After all, in Game of Thrones you can find much more disturbing stuff regularly and this is form of entertainment, no? It's even worse in books.
Also, the point of game is that you trying to stop such violence, not inflict it on others.
And game don't seems to have loot boxes either, so it's should be fine :D

Last edited by BetaXenon,

Kilim

ReiNX Official Dad™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i too live in a utopia where banning a fictional representation of a crime helps keep the crime down

what retards

zeveroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seemed like the host talking to you didn't really care what you had to say. He was just trying to get people to agree with his view on it being staged around child abuse. Sounds like the same ignorant shit that they try here in the States. I'm glad you called in. I hope that other viewers where as sensible as you were. Does this kind of thing happen with movies over there? Seems like the world is becoming to pussyfied. Everyone is either insulted or butt hurt by the most meaningless shit these days. Political correctness and the lack of common sense is unbearable. They should spend their time worrying about domestic and foreign terrorism. Perhaps even just go out and try to get a story that involves real life. Also why did he ask if you agree that children under 18 are playing these games? I'll tell you why, fear and control. Fuck the media and Fuck that douche bag on that show.

Remember, always use common sense with these issues. It's just a game for fucks sake.

Reactions: T-hug

Trash_McPhail

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I love how everyone should have a PC opinion, or else your some kind of 'ist, insert random word.

No, of course it shouldn't be banned, someone; somewhere will pretend to be offended and there will be some SJW party who claim dad's abuse their kids, because of seeing it in a video game with no tangible evidence or link.

Next...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1