Is child abuse OK in Detroit: Become Human?

Discussion in 'PS4 - Games & Content' started by T-hug, Dec 4, 2017.

1. someonewhodied

someonewhodied Lazy Person

Sep 21, 2008
    United States
    Here is what I think.

Single player games are story-driven and are meant to tell those stories and make you feel emotion based on aspects of the game, whether it be a cutscene or a choice you make in gameplay. The fact that there are people getting upset at a scene or a gameplay aspect means that the game is doing that job properly. Something like a child abuse scene must have been intentional (optional or not) to drive the player to feel certain emotions (whether its enjoyment, anger, or sadness). The fact that there is controversy over the scene means that the game did what it was intended to do.

2. ChrisMCNBVA

ChrisMCNBVA GBAtemp Regular

Nov 5, 2002
    United States
    natural bridge, virginia
    I'll just say this...I loved Beyond Two Souls on Ps4 and can't wait for Detroit Beyond Human next year along with Kingdom Hearts 3, Spider-Man and Mega Man 11....next year will be a year for good games at least in my opinion

3. MadMageKefka

MadMageKefka GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Every time this moron on TV says "This stuff has no place in entertainment," I wanna scream "What about horror films then? What about Saw? How is that legitimate entertainment and this is not?" ....must have been a slow news day for them.

DarthDub likes this.
  4. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    It is absolutely okay. Let me beat the shit out of them* if they deserve it.

*statement applies to digitally depicted children in Detroit: Become Human

gnmmarechal and CallmeBerto like this.
  5. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    This is just ridiculous, in what way is making real child abuse equivalent to that in a game? If anything it makes the game that much more meaningful, allowing the player to explore moral issues. And it's not like the kid gets abused no matter what (unless I'm wrong? Haven't read enough into it.)

My issue is that it's presented as some sort of taboo, like we're meant to try and ignore the fact that this shit goes on in real life, by exposing it in the game all you're going to do is make more people hate these sick bastards who would raise a fist towards a child.

It's just so confusing.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  6. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2017
    Jamaica
    I didn't even read the OP. But why stop at children, ban all abuse, adults included. Why are children so special that they get special treatment. Aren't adults living breathing creatures with feelings and all that. Or do we just not care about adult victims, simply because of their age. Is this Ageism? Care only about Children because they are young.

DarthDub likes this.
  7. Sinful Shadow

Sinful Shadow Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 10, 2016
    United States
    lol who have you been talking to that have told you good things you wanna see how bad their games are go to this youtube channel they have done full playthroughs of all 4 steaming piles of shit (omikron the nomad soul, indigo prophecy/ferenhiet, heavy rain, and beyond two souls) that david cage has dumped out you will get many hours of enjoyment watching them play these garbage "games" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC84X0epDRFdTrybxEX8ZWkA pro tip though if you wanna watch all 4 games save omikron for last it is so terrible that you will want to die after watching it ( i know i did XD )

8. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Damn you are dense

TheDarkGreninja likes this.
  9. DrayanoX

DrayanoX Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2017
    France
    ... Then don't ?

MadMageKefka and CallmeBerto like this.
  10. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Not even sure this could be called a game.

11. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    I'd agree to an extent. Though, children have no way of defending themselves like adults do, from a biological perspective kids are far less developed than adults are. We care about children because they're weak and frail, so when a kid gets abused we get a lot more angry than when a fully grown man gets abused.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Well you play through it just like any other game, imo games should be allowed to explore deep, disturbing topics.

Hell if princess peach was raped by bowser, wouldn't you feel even more inclined to kick his ass?

CallmeBerto likes this.
  12. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    She's always being "kidnapped".. Let's be real here.

13. JohnGT

JohnGT Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2016
    thanks for sharing this story. good to know not all people that call to these shows are fake. makes tentackle tvs this much less tentackle.

14. Astral_

Astral_ GBAtemp elder

Oct 24, 2002
    France
    France
    I haven't read the whole thread, nor watched the video, but what I think can confuse non-gamers is that 'videogame' can now be anything, from pure gameplay/skill (VVVVV) to completely story-driven (Detroit:Become human), the latter kind being much newer. The public being told that a game includes a child abuse scene will assume that the player commits the action, which I don't believe is the case here.

Saying "books and movies can do it, why can't we" might be not enough in this case, perhaps we should point out that Detroit is much more a movie than a game (Cage sure did hear that before)

15. Juggalo Debo

Juggalo Debo Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2016
    United States
    Damn i wanna go beat my kids cuz I seen that trailer....... and I wanna play that game now too. so thx to the development team that made it

16. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    It bothers me people are so pissy over this. The point of the child abuse in the game is to STOP IT FROM HAPPENING. If anything, this game puts out a positive message, to take action when you know something like this is going on. God knows with how people handle this stuff in a lot of cases, this is a good message to spread around.

DarthDub likes this.
  17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Curious.
    Is "it is in there because it is an option for the human experience and we are making a game set within that" not enough? If it stops something then so much the better.

18. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Hmm, too bad the game doesn't let you go and beat up the one causing the abuse.

19. DrayanoX

DrayanoX Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2017
    France
    Two wrongs don't make a right

20. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Wrong. You can. Watch the trailer.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

It is enough imo. I just find what I said rediculous because its the exact opposite message that people who are complaining about the game are implying. People cant see the good in anything, they just see controversial content, grab their keyboards, crack their knuckles, and go full justice warrior mode. So annoying. Same thing happens with anything like it. How many controversial books have now been banned in USA, then later unbanned, rebanned, etc? People annoy me.

Last edited by MadMageKefka, Dec 7, 2017
    the_randomizer likes this.