Is child abuse OK in Detroit: Become Human?

Discussion in 'PS4 - Games & Content' started by T-hug, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Eix

Eix GBAtemp's Best Waifu (now lewd-ish)

May 27, 2017
    United States
    Vanilmirth
    thats going in my new sig when i get around to making my sig again

kumikochan likes this.
  2. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Haha okay :P

3. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Ohh...I remember when the ESRB was supposedly gonna solve all this. Unfortunately there are still a lot of idiots out there that think all games are for children regardless of the "M" label.

Really the problem here is that other mediums are threatened by the advances video games have made over the years. If a child getting beat in a video game elicits such a strong human emotion/reaction, then live-action films with actors that cost millions start to become slowly obsolete.

4. Spectral Blizzard

Spectral Blizzard That Annoying Everything Everyone Knows

Suspended
    Jun 17, 2017
    United States
    Everywhere
    Better do it now, I'm someone is going to beat you!

kumikochan likes this.
  5. Eix

Eix GBAtemp's Best Waifu (now lewd-ish)

May 27, 2017
    United States
    Vanilmirth
    done :P
    Edit: why did it quote my own message too?

6. Spectral Blizzard

Spectral Blizzard That Annoying Everything Everyone Knows

Suspended
    Jun 17, 2017
    United States
    Everywhere
    Aww...

Eix likes this.
  7. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    Child abuse or any form of abuses or violence in any form of media raises awareness of how horrible it is.
    No need to ban it. Just freely rate it for adult or 18 and above if you want to or whatever. No need to censor stuff.

8. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Regular

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    i love how both callers destroyed their arguments so they compleatly ignored them, fucking morons, you dont get points for stoping child abuse and GTA isnt a "shoot em up"

9. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    I don't own a PS4 and that trailer makes me want to play the game a lot more than the E3 trailer. It's not like the game is making light of child abuse. If anything I get the same feeling from watching that as I did, guiding Clementine in The Walking Dead. Protective parent mode kicks in and I feel like saving the day. Old people need to stop seeing video games as a child's play thing and start seeing it as a form of media that is better in many ways than movies. On the same note, maybe the game industry should just abandon the "video game" moniker and just call it all "interactive media".

zfreeman, Eix and DeoNaught like this.
  10. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    That's another point. He was saying kids can play and have been playing M rated games. They can also watch rated R movies and read adult books, yet they aren't banned. Not that they should be.

It is funny, because some movies can be even more gruesome than video games. They also tend to be live action, so it feels more closer to real life.

Xzi and Eix like this.
  11. pustal

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    I haven't seen the trailer, but I take the scene is presented as ethically wrong and is use to portray an anthagonist or at the very least to make the player think and not to present him with pleasure through that, no?

12. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    Please don't cancel it, please don't cancel it, please don't cancel it...

13. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer Frizzle Fry

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    killed father, achievement unlocked

14. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Your correct fact is funnier when you combine it with the other fact that in the UK (and Australia) game and film age ratings are legally binding so at least on paper they don't even have that excuse...

15. MartinDocNewland

MartinDocNewland Searching for the truth

Jul 7, 2012
    Yeah ban it

slaphappygamer likes this.
  16. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2006
    Which I find rather ironic (or moronic)*. The whole rating system is itself rather broken as it focus more on syntax than semantics. Hence, here we have a game that actually shouldn't be M rated (well, presuming that this is the core gameplay and it doesn't turn GTA) precisely because it's a message that both teenagers (maybe even children) really need exposed to. As stated, the only real way to break the cycle of abuse is to educate people, and the best way to educate people is to do it when they're young. Same with a lot of other "mature" games. The whole point of a game like this is that you're not supposed to enjoy it.

*The problem with movie and game ratings is mostly that they're designed with the notion that the movie/game are "R-rated" or "mature". That's not it, though. The person who watches it should be "mature". Mature individuals can see wanton acts of sex or violence in the context of fantasy and digest it because they have the experience to understand it as fiction. It's precisely that child abuse is not something that should ever be easily digested that it makes any real sense to call it "mature". Hence, rating a lot of such movies or games doesn't make sense in some ways. Or we can just acknowledge that when it is closer to truth than fiction, perhaps we should be more inclined to acknowledge that teenagers (and maybe children) should be allowed to engage in such fiction precisely to learn. Nah, silly me. "We" want all our entertainment to be all empty calories and the ratings to match.

DeoNaught likes this.
  17. MartinDocNewland

MartinDocNewland Searching for the truth

Jul 7, 2012
    Has any of you actually been abused as a child?

18. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2006
    Have any of you ever abused a child? Is that relevant to this discussion?

Reminds me of:

"I will not beg for your understanding of my personal grief, nor will I parade it for you to gain your cooperation. My love for my daughter...is too deep for display. My pride in her runs even deeper." -- The Mark of Gideon

Last edited by kuwanger, Dec 4, 2017
    Subtle Demise likes this.
  19. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    i'm just gonna leave this here again

We just don't live in a fucking utopia and shielding people from all those things doesn't make them a better person in the end. It just makes them ignorant and detached from life itself. Closing your eyes doesn't help with anything, it only makes everything worse

20. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    And making a video game about this doesn't glorify abuse or make it more of an issue? What the hell kind of dumbass developer would do this?