Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
I have a dilemma. Long post incoming, tl;dr here

Some background, I've been thinking of getting a PS3 for a long time. I entered Gen 6 with the Wii, however, I've since became a primarily PC person. I built and use a fairly powerful PC, and I rarely use my Wii anymore, because Dolphin is awesome and most of the time, it runs any game I throw at it perfectly at 100% speed. Same holds for PCSX2, with a few exceptions (Shadow of the Colossus, damn you)

Throughout all of this past generation, I have not bought any other console besides a Wii, so I've missed out on tons of console exclusives. Obviously, when a game is multi-platform, i.e. available on PC, I'd play it on PC. You just can't beat 1080p on high settings. I have my PC hooked up to my TV anyways, and I own a very nice F710, so I get, pretty much the same experience, if not better than on a console, when playing multiplats. Since the 360's library of exclusives is pretty weak (frankly, the only reasons to choose 360 over a PS3 is Halo, Gears, and to an extent, Vesperia), I've chosen to get a PS3.

Now, here is my dilemma. If I were to get a PS3, I'd either get a brand new one, that is, >3.55 downgradable praxis, or a refurbished, downgrade-eligible Slim. There's an off chance that I can get a sealed slim =< 3.55 downgradable praxis. Personally I prefer the slim regardless, but they aren't covered by warranty and apparently have worse cooling than the superslims, I'm worried about the longevity of a slim, refurbished or otherwise. If it breaks down, I won't be able to send it in to Sony.

Assuming I get a slim with =< 3.55 downgradable praxis, if I get a refurbished model, I'll most likely have to downgrade it with an E3, that's another $80-$100. Not to mention that I've never opened up a consumer electronic without damaging something, usually I end up stripping the screws :/. I know that I can get an ODE for a superslim, but I never soldered a thing in my life, and getting it installed by someone else costs as much as a new console, all things considered. I'd have to either risk fucking up my PS3, or buy a slim that's sealed, and thus still on 3.55 or lower. Is it worth getting an older, out-of-warranty console, just for CFW? Is an E3 flasher, and an installation service worth the price? I don't even know where I can get an E3 installed, I don't want to risk doing it myself. All in all, the price of everything included might cost more than a few games, especially if something fucks up along the way. Since slims are probably going out of warranty if not already, I'd have to buy a new PS3. I'd be going out of warranty anyways if I open up the console. Even if I get a brand new, sealed slim that's downgradable, it most certainly would have an expired warranty.

I'm in Hong Kong currently, it's a little bit cheaper than buying in Canada, but stores that still have old back stock of new pre-3.55 PS3s are a little bit shady, and proof of purchase would be hard to come by. Other stores that sell new PS3s are more reputable, e.g. Toys-R-Us, but I doubt they have back stock of a model that's about 4-5 years old. I also have to consider carrying the PS3 back on the plane with me when I return to Toronto after my vacation ends. Power incompatibilities are no issue, they seem to be standard laptop power cables, and from what I can gather, the PS3 is dual voltage.

Even if I am able to get CFW, from what I could gather, going on to PSN is risky. I'm not above piracy, but I can certainly afford legit copies from PSN, especially with Amazon and PS+. I prefer having a digital library, with a few exceptions (eShop sucks), another reason why I tend to pirate games and other media. Basically all of my DS, PSP and Wii library are pirated copies, but my Steam library is huge to the point where I don't recognize most of the games in them.. Which brings me to the question, Are there any games that are worth playing on PS3, but are not easily obtained digitally through PSN, or if necessary through physical media, homebrew included ?.

Frankly the only reason I'm even bothering with researching CFW is for piracy. Is it worth the hoops you have to jump through, and the restrictions with, CFW, just for piracy, if you can afford buying the games? This isn't a rhetorical question, with piracy, essentially I can get a digital copy of any game that ever existed on PS3, and play it, but is it worth not being able to access PSN, risking a brick or a ban? This goes back to my earlier question about any games worth playing that aren't on PSN, or aren't easily available in physical. As well, it goes both ways, do the services that PSN (and PS+) justify paying money?

Emulation mean very little to me, I can emulate very well on my PC. Homebrew on the PS3 seems kind of weak, so, is there any homebrew that helps justify installing CFW?

tl;dr
Hacking and homebrew, and piracy on PS3 seem very complicated to get going. I'm questioning whether it's worth all the extra effort, especially if you can afford buying games.

How do the benefits of CFW outweigh going legit, and vice versa? Should I aim for a CFW-able PS3 or I just not bother and get a superslim, with a very very small chance of getting an ode later on? Should I get a superslim, that's under warranty, and possibly has longer longevity rather than search for a slim that is downgradable, and most likely have to buy an E3 flasher and get someone to install it?

I'd appreciate any opinions before I make any purchases. Thanks :)

erfg12

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
newagesoldier.com
XP
Country
United States
If you do a CFW you need an E3 flasher to downgrade to 3.55. Unless you are lucky and find one already on 3.55.

Once you have a CFW I recommend only playing offline. You will get banned using ISO managers.

Your best bet is to purchase cobra ODE or 3k3y and play on OFW.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it worth getting an older, out-of-warranty console, just for CFW?
Yes PS3s are every well built. You can compare it to any laptop life(very long) given the way you treat it. Only the fat ones have higher chances of RSOD/YLOD but I guess if they survived up to now....
You know what i mean.

Is an E3 flasher, and an installation service worth the price?
Not now because with PS4 just came out you can find a CFW PS3 for 150-200$ with a controller rather easily.

Are there any games that are worth playing on PS3, but are not easily obtained digitally through PSN, or if necessary through physical media, homebrew included ?.
No. PSN has all the good games.

. Is it worth the hoops you have to jump through, and the restrictions with, CFW, just for piracy, if you can afford buying the games?
Most definately worth it. You don't have to pirate. You can backup the physical games you own and thats a huge plus.

Do the services that PSN (and PS+) justify paying money?
PS+ member get very good rebates on digital games so definetely worth it if you buy games.

is there any homebrew that helps justify installing CFW?
Showtime media player

How do the benefits of CFW outweigh going legit, and vice versa? Should I aim for a CFW-able PS3 or I just not bother and get a superslim, with a very very small chance of getting an ode later on? Should I get a superslim, that's under warranty, and possibly has longer longevity rather than search for a slim that is downgradable, and most likely have to buy an E3 flasher and get someone to install it?
Whatever you choose you can't go wrong, but I would take a softmod anyday over a hardmod. Also take note that Sony is only banning people that are stupid (using homebrew while online) so you can live online with CFW also just like OFW.

Reactions: chyyran

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ODE is good. I recommend a CFW. It is a lot of work to get going but once its up and you have it configured, you are set. Just add games.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CFW does more than just playing backup. You can turn PS3 into a media player (it also disables Cinavia). Also CFW allows you to turn off HDCP, very handy feature if you plan to capture footage from HDMI.

ODE only allows you to play disc-based backups, and very limited homebrew capabilities.

Now unless you have more than 2 PS3 you should let someone else downgrade your PS3 for you. It is simpler that way and cheaper.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
CFW does more than just playing backup. You can turn PS3 into a media player (it also disables Cinavia). Also CFW allows you to turn off HDCP, very handy feature if you plan to capture footage from HDMI.

ODE only allows you to play disc-based backups, and very limited homebrew capabilities.

Now unless you have more than 2 PS3 you should let someone else downgrade your PS3 for you. It is simpler that way and cheaper.

Like I said, I don't plan on using my PS3 as a media player, XBMC serves that purpose for me very well already.

I don't have a PS3 yet, I plan on buying a new one, and after some googling, it seems most of the games I want to play are on PSN, so it seems I'll be going with a regular superslim, unless I somehow get lucky and find a brand new 120GB slim. When I get back to Toronto, I'll look into where I can get an ODE installed for cheap, or just not bother. I don't plan on getting another PS3, so I'd not risk bricking or getting banned.

Of course, that's unless someone can convince me otherwise.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a PS3 yet, I plan on buying a new one, and after some googling, it seems most of the games I want to play are on PSN, so it seems I'll be going with a regular superslim, unless I somehow get lucky and find a brand new 120GB slim. When I get back to Toronto, I'll look into where I can get an ODE installed for cheap, or just not bother. I don't plan on getting another PS3, so I'd not risk bricking or getting banned.
Sounds like ODE is more suited to you.

Although installing ODE on Super Slim is tricky, because it requires you to desolder 4 capacitors beforehand. They are very small so some practices are needed.

Also skip Cobra ODE for Super Slim. Cobra ODE uses a very large PCB that actually blocks part of the cooling fan in Super Slim. Use 3k3y instead.

NinoKuniWindWaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Cfw ftw. Some benefits from a cfw like cobra integrated one, cobra7/Rogero. 100% discless support, very handy when ur bluray drive dies. Loading games from your nas/samba share in ISO format (jb folder file too). Dont know if any ode offers fan control, but there is homebrew to control your ps3s temprature. Multiman and showtime. Definetly go for CFW instead of an ode. I have fat ps3 one on cobra7 rogero the other on official firmware. Best of both worlds. Goodluck with ur choiche

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over