Gaming is a 3DS image supposed to be Coming In, or Going Out?

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so back in the 1990s, there was these "Hidden 3D Images" everywhere.
(its a picture of nonsense when stared at it long enough shows a 3d image)
but i could never see them properly because the image was going in,
i mean Concave instead of Convex.

is the 3DS top screen supposed to be Coming at you or away from you?

for me the menu icons appear to be 1 inch inside the screen.
the face raiders animation appears behind the screen.
is this normal?

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I perceived more dept with most of my games, that is, pop back and not forward. You'll have to play with the slider after your eyes have adjusted to the 3D and you'll be able to tell better. However lately I don't play with the 3D on due to battery life, so there may be some games that pop out.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Both. I'll try to keep this simple:
A 3d image consists of a left and right image of an object aimed at the right or left eye.

If the left image of the the object is fed to your left eye and right image fed to your right eye the image will appear to be behind the screen.
If the right image of the the object is fed to your left eye and right image fed to your left eye the image will appear in front of the screen.

If you want to see a clear example of this, look at the floating pencil at the activity log icon. The pencil floats both behind and in front of the screen.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Like Snailface said, BOTH. It depends on how the programer wants you to perceive the image, so they may pop out at you or look like a deep box. If you use the camera on it, it will depend on where the objects are in the picture. Closer to you more like pop out, farther away more away just like in real life.

EthanObi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's perfectly normal, it is a "3D" Depth Effect in around 90% of cases, with rare Popping out like SwapNote/LetterBox 3D text with 2D text right beside it, the pencils in activity log icon, the globe when entering MK7 Wi-Fi, ETC.
It's a marketing plot, if you bought it hoping for a movie theater style 3D (Pops out of the screen and feels like you could touch it), you may as well take your system back and get a different gaming system.
If you want the Techy reason, there is essentially 2 screens on the top. The back one is the 2D LCD screen, the front one is Another, Film-like LCD screen(the back of it is transparent), the front one makes a parallax barrier.
A parallax barrier essentially is what snailface described.

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah the Activity Log Pencils do appear slightly closer

i was just wondering if i should get 3D Remakes or not.
i want to get Starfox 3D and Zelda Ocarina 3D, but wasent
sure if just some cool 3D effects would be worth the price tag.

Excitebike 3D was just Meh.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I find most of the graphics are depth 3D ("going away from you"). There is very little pop out 3D. This is how the programmers intended it even though the 3DS is equally capable of displaying both. I find that pop out 3D strains my eyes a lot more than depth 3D and this may be why there are few pop out effects programmed into games. Super Mario 3D Land has a setting to switch between pop out and depth 3D.

@OP So yes, this is normal :)
You can consider getting those games used. They are definitely worth it at the lower price.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
I just play with the 3D off most of the time, but during the times I do have 3D on, I actually notice "pop-out" 3D more in the menus, while in most games, it's "depth" 3D

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah, i usually turn the 3D off because it gives me a headache.
and you have to have it perfectly straight anyway.

aw screw it, im going to buy Starfox anyway.

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had never seen a 3D movie (still haven't) when I bought my 3DS. I've been really impressed with the 3D, personally. Maybe I was the perfect candidate to really enjoy the 3DS, then, since it's so new and I haven't been to a 3D movie yet. I want to see The Hobbit in 3D, but I hope it doesn't ruin my appreciation for the 3D effect on the 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I'm much more on the killing floor :x
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he... +1