Is 3DS (game based) actually dead? Checked Release List

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by ehnoah, Nov 28, 2017.

1. ehnoah
    OP

ehnoah GBAtemp Fan

Oct 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    So,

I was think about buy myself a 2DS XL however, if I check the Game Release list, it looks mostly dead to me. Only 3 Games are planed to be released. No new "cool" Title are announced. Did they stopped game Production for 3DS and move to switch? I through they want run both.

2. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Maniac (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    They haven't stopped production for it and there aren't any BIG releases planned for it anytime soon, but there are more games coming, even if most will be Japan-only. It's dying, just not dead yet. I would say it has a year or so until it's abandoned more or less and production should after summer judging from how Ninty is treating it...

3. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    Radiant historia, shin megami tensei, kirby battle royale, dragon quest xi, alliance alive...

comput3rus3r and ThoD like this.
  4. ThoD

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Half of those have already come out long ago though in Japan...:P Already finished DQ9 and 10 for example!

5. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    And that detective game also Jake Hunter

6. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Wait until January lol. They aren't going to announce a bunch of games during christmas season when they're trying to sell what they have on the shelf already.

If Nintendo gives a direct for the Switch in January, but skips the 3ds, then worry.

DayVeeBoi and ThoD like this.
  7. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Probably not, since Nintendo seems to be ramping up the limited editions for the N3DS XL hardware. They could just be doing this to move units (just make different coloured system shells), but I doubt it.

8. SoslanVanWieren

SoslanVanWieren GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2017
    Australia
    not gettting any more pokemon games though thats a sign its dead

9. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    Another spinoff mabe but not a main series game.

10. ThoD

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    There ARE still games planned to come out, so let's leave it at that. DQ 11, Radiant Historia, that new Kirby battle royal game, etc.... Sure, they have already been released in Japan, but no one here has played them and the released will go until late Q2 2018!

11. SoslanVanWieren

Feb 6, 2017
    Australia
    Probably not going to be buying anymore games for the 3ds

12. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    It is likely that Pokémon USUM was the last big release for the 3DS. Like with many game devices before it, Nintendo is probably still producing 3DS systems in an effort a.) To sell as many systems as possible while it's still sellable, and b.) To get rid of 3DS parts they already had. Devices like the Wii, DSi, and GBA all got new editions at the ends of their lives, too.

If you don't already have a 3DS though, that doesn't mean it isn't worth purchasing.

lordkaos and Ryccardo like this.
  13. SoslanVanWieren

Feb 6, 2017
    Australia
    im sure they will still sell it for awhile so if you want to pick up a switch first you can.

14. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    a dead system only leaves you with about 130 or so good games to play, so not worth it

15. Scarlet

Scarlet Soup Prince

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Excuse you guys, are we forgetting the 3DS' greatest game is yet to come? Christmas Day. Get it on your lists folks, Style Savvy is coming to town!
    for what its worth, i'm actually looking forward to it

16. SoslanVanWieren

Feb 6, 2017
    Australia
    The switch is missing things like the virtual console at this point it only can play games. so once you are done with the games you have theres not much you can do with it since its not hackable on a firmware all the new games are playable on.

17. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    tbh, I feel like it's going to be a silent over time death for the 3ds, and this is the first step, it's time for Nintendo to stop it and either migrate to the switch only or release a true successor to the 3ds family, I say true successor cause I don't mean this new 3ds/new 2ds crap either
    What I think Nintendo should just do with the 3DS already

Spectral Blizzard likes this.
  18. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    The 3ds has a huge library of great games. even if they stopped making games today the console is far from "dead"
    I'm still working on my dsi xl backlog and still have a ton of 3ds backlog. so threads like these make no sense to me.

19. ThoD

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    True, what really decides whether a console is dead or not nowadays is actually the online servers, when those are shut down, then it will be officially dead and we got a LONG time until that happens!

20. Gizametalman

Gizametalman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    Gameboy Handheld: 3 Hardware Revisions. Sold +118,000,000 units. 10 years in the market.
    Gameboy Advance: 3 Hardware Revisions. Sold +80,000,000 units. 5 years in the market.
    Nintendo DS: 4 Hardware Revisions. Sold 150,000,000 units. 6 years in the market
    Nintendo 3DS: 6 Hardware Revisions. Sold 17,000,000 units. 7 years in the market.
    Looks like you're waiting for the 7th 3DS hardware revision too, m'I'right?

What I'm saying is... with those sales, and the desperate need of Nintendo to constantly make Hardware revisions each year... do not expect cool titles for the system.