Hacking Is 3DS compatible with SDXC cards?

panmusic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
OK,the new generation of SD cards is here and in 2011 some companies are ready to produce 2TB SD cards.Considering the large size of 3DS games (2-8 gig),I think that a lot of people will try the new cards.I searched for some information and found that the new SDXC cards require a completely new technology and certainly they need their own drivers.My question is if 3DS will be SDXC compatible and if not,is it possible to update via homebrew the SD slot to be SDXC compatible?

G

GentleFist

its just a guess but no since they would probably promote that fact if that was the case...
the games will come on cartridges btw

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
3DS games (2-8 gig) is for the game cart not the type of SD slot it has. That has nothing to do with what type of SD slot is used on the 3DS.

Your trying to make the assumption that a 3DS will be dumped and be runned via the SD slot on the 3DS.

What your trying to ask is if a 3DS flashcart will use SDXC instead of SDHC.

To answer that question, we ain't there yet. It will most likely be SDHC 3DS flashcarts first, then SDXC flashcarts. Same way when NDS flashcarts went from SD to SDHC.

G

GentleFist

steves334 said:
my 3 year old printer supports them. 3DS will too

no it doesnt since sdxd was first announced two years ago and they actually came on the market last year

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not, but one can still hope.

It would certainly help with storage space for various apps and games (3DSware).

steves334

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
As it stands, there would be no legit reason for SDXC cards.

yes there is. it will be annoying in a few years without sdxc support. would u want a dsi now that only supported sd -hc and not old sd? dsi doesnt NEED the larger sd-hc cards, but old sd cards are hard to find in most stores.

steves334

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GentleFist said:
steves334 said:
my 3 year old printer supports them. 3DS will too

no it doesnt since sdxd was first announced two years ago and they actually came on the market last year

my printer came out August 19, 2009. so 2 1/2 years. close enough. i never said i use sdxc cards in my printer

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
steves334 said:
TwinRetro said:
As it stands, there would be no legit reason for SDXC cards.

yes there is. it will be annoying in a few years without sdxc support. would u want a dsi now that only supported sd -hc and not old sd? dsi doesnt NEED the larger sd-hc cards, but old sd cards are hard to find in most stores.

but WHAT would you need it FOR? Anything but piracy is just fine for an sdhc card.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
TwinRetro said:
but WHAT would you need it FOR? Anything but piracy is just fine for an sdhc card.

And piracy is everything this people has in their mind when they think about 3DS games.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Ramonra said:
TwinRetro said:

And piracy is everything this people has in their mind when they think about 3DS games.

And if piracy is the only practical use for the SDXC format, why would Nintendo implement it in the 3DS? seriously, lol.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Come on guys movies, music , home videos , pics/3dpics

With a smaller risk of maxing out of memory during a trip.

mellow.gif

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SDXC is not as mainstream as SDHC. On top of that SDXC is expensive right now. Even if Nintendo supports it only few will take advantage of it. Support of SDXC will drive up the production cost. Cost outweighs the benefit.

Not to mention that SDXC is using exFAT, a proprietary technology from Microsoft. Highly doubt Microsoft will share it with Nintendo.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS has no purpose for SDXC. Even multiple 3DSWare titles will fit fine on an 8GB MicroSDHC, even better on a 16gb MicroSDHC.

The only reason anyone would want their 3DS to have SDXC is if somehow the 3DS gets softmodded. If a flashcart is made for it, it will likely only have data access to it's microSD card. If it does have access to the SD slot on the 3DS, then you have even less reason to complain. That's double your storage capacity right there.

Or, (And this would be cool) if the 3DS gets softmodded and it doesn't support SDXC, maybe a SDXC adapter cart could be made since the cartridge slot would be freed up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr