Hardware IPS top screen panel swap possible? Fire Emblem Fates 3DS XL

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is it possible to put IPS displays in an O3DSXL? I have a Zelda XL for Zelda games that could use an upgrade. Same with my Black XL I use for retro emulation.

Last edited by elBenyo,

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I Got the Hyrule Gold N3DSXL also and can vouch for dual IPS.

Edit: But i am positive you cannot use N3DS screens in an O3DS so a swap will most likely not work.
No I have a triforce edition O3DSXL, the one with a fat triforce offset on it. I wanted to upgrade that but it doesn't seem possible ever.

Gojira13

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi all ninty fan. new here. Im looking to buy a used n3ds pokemon 20th anniversary edition. The pic as advertised. Is this TN or IPS screen? really looking forward to have the IPS one :( Many thanks for the guide

post-494583-1499470531.jpg

omnipresent

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I am thinking about doing that mod.
I am just a bit afraid from the part when I need to separate the touchscreen from the LCD… Is it hard to do? Any advices?
Sorry for the necroposting.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am thinking about doing that mod.
I am just a bit afraid from the part when I need to separate the touchscreen from the LCD… Is it hard to do? Any advices?
Sorry for the necroposting.

Removal
Hair blowdryer, plastic electronic spudgy, wooden toothpick, floss string, sewing string

Cleanup
rubbing alcohol, q-tip, tissue paper, white coffee paper (for streak free glass), scotch tape

You'll probably need a new adhesive gasket for the LCD and glass panel attachment.

LCD Installation with a pseudo clean room
Lastly, do the bathroom hot shower trick, but wait until the steam goes away. This won't work if your bathroom's too small without much work space.
If you want an as dust-free installation as possible, you're going to be working naked after showering.

Block off the AC vent and turn on the air duct that extracts smelly air if your bathroom has these.

It's best if you put your 3DS LCD work stuff in a cabinet until the room cools off completely.

Don't open the door, block off the door's bottom edge with a spare towel, and bring several pre-chilled bottles of water to drink and stay cool...

While canned air works okay at blowing dust off a screen, it also tends to blow more dust onto it.

You can modify a cheapy USB miniature electronic vacuum with a plastic drinking straw and some tape. This does a better job at scraping and sucking dust off the LCD than canned air.

51xtbPrJYqL.jpg

The front tip of the straw has to be super clean of smudges and oil when probing the panels.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

omnipresent

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Imagine nude engineers swapping hdd’s plates after a shower…
It is oblivious that dust should not get between these parts. I know how to manage that without my birthday suit. I am afraid of taking these apart… Are they hard to take apart? Tutorial?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine nude engineers swapping hdd’s plates after a shower…
It is oblivious that dust should not get between these parts. I know how to manage that without my birthday suit. I am afraid of taking these apart… Are they hard to take apart? Tutorial?

If you knew how much it's a bitch to get a dust free LCD installation, you should already have experience in this type of work including the panel removal process.

You can laugh at the notion of working butt naked in the bathroom until you find you missed that one dust speck that fucks it all up.

You want answers, look at ifixit tutorials.

omnipresent

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I knew about the tutorial on ifixt. As you know, some tutorials on ifixit are lacking information… A better method would be doing this in the middle of a lake, like old style Chinese wood or pottery lacquering. Anyway, I will try the butt naked method because I do not own a boat :)

What is bothering me: “Can the bottom screen break easily when taken apart from the touchscreen?”

As written on ifixit: Do not run the spudger down the side of the display assembly to loosen the touchscreen. The two components of the display assembly are held together by a fairly weak adhesive tape, and running the spudger between the two could tangle or damage the tape.

Any advices?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew about the tutorial on ifixt. As you know, some tutorials on ifixit are lacking information… A better method would be doing this in the middle of a lake, like old style Chinese wood or pottery lacquering. Anyway, I will try the butt naked method because I do not own a boat :)

What is bothering me: “Can the bottom screen break easily when taken apart from the touchscreen?”

As written on ifixit: Do not run the spudger down the side of the display assembly to loosen the touchscreen. The two components of the display assembly are held together by a fairly weak adhesive tape, and running the spudger between the two could tangle or damage the tape.

Any advices?

Wait, you want to replace the bottom LCD with an IPS panel? This is for a n3DSXL, correct?

The bottom LCD doesn't confer that much benefit having a IPS versus the top one, but if you insist.

Does your country has those gel packs that you can apply pressure on bruised or hurt parts of your body?

Not only can those be used as frozen or chilled, you can heat them as well. Put them in hotter than luke warm (but not boiling) water.

Bring two pouches to hot enough temp, wipe them dry, put paper napkin between pouch & lower 3DS section, and lay them on both side sandwiching the lower LCD area.

This will soften the adhesive enough where you can hand push out the digitizer+LCD without resorting to spudgy. Put a towel to cushion and even distribute pressure. Take care to press slowly so not to snag and rip the ribbon cable.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

phzwzrd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Help please, I'm on stage 17 of the iFixit guide (link) and I cannot get the upper half of the shell to separate from lower half of the top screen shell. It just won't budge and it looks like it'll snap if I force it anymore.

This may be because this is a newer model, the SNES special edition.

Any ideas, maybe heat? Thank you for responding ASAP.

Edit: nvm, it was a case of sliding not prying. Stupid iFixit, or stupid me for having faith in their methods.

Last edited by phzwzrd,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol