Hacking IOS236 installation problem

alewela

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there,

This might be a super stupid question but I've done a lot of search on the internet and found nothing. It's driving me crazy.

When IOS236 installation starts, it displays some message and says "Press 1 or Start to start the application". With the 1 key of my Wii Remote pressed, nothing happens. Actually as soon as the installer starts, the LED light goes off, meaning that the Wii Remote is disconnected if I understand correctly. There is no Start key on Wii Remote or Nunchuk. I also tried plugging a Wii Classic Controller into Wii Remote and pressing the Start key of Wii Classic Controller, still nothing happened.

I also read Nintendo website about GameCube controller. It says that only RVL-001 model, which stoped being produced since about 2 years ago, can have GameCube controller plugged in. It's impossible to plug a GameCube controller into the new model.

I'm completely confused. Did I misunderstand something? Did I do something wrong? After all, what kind of controller shall I use to finish the installation of IOS236 and maybe other cIOSes?

The same question also applies to applications such as NeoGamma. There is no problem running NeoGamma. No cIOS is asked to be installed, though it claims that it requires some sort of cIOS. The problem is that after the interface shows up, I cannot move the highlight cursor up and down with Wii Remote. How shall I move the highlight cursor anyway?

Can anybody help? Thanks in advance.

alewela

alewela

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you both for the replies. You are saving my life. :D

Looks like you have a new wiimote.
Try an old one, your friend's or cousin's
There might be other problems that I'm not aware of too :)
So there are different versions of wiimotes. That's annoying. A friend of mine has a Wii bought late last year. Can that work?

from what i recall new wii remotes are now supports in latest libogc. Ive recompiled the ios236 installer using latest libogc, so give this one a try http://rghost.net/39404578

edit: the 'start' button is probably referring to a gamecube controller.
Thanks a lot for doing the recompilation. I'll try your file. Is the boot.dol supposed to be put in SD://apps/IOS236/ directory, replacing the original one? And then I should hopefully be able to use '1' button to continue IOS236 installation?

stev418

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
oh compiling hombrew is the easy part, thank the devs for their hard work. The thing is you may have to recompile other older hombrew to work with your controller as well, i only use my gold zelda controller when im playing games so ive never run into the issues :)

alewela

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend's wiimote worked. IOS236 installation was completed without a problem!

However, a new problem occurred. Since I'm using a USB drive in NTFS partition, according to the information I found, I need to install IOS222/223. But when I tried to install (Hermes') IOS222/223, even my friend's wiimote didn't work at the screen asking me to press some key, though the LED light is on, which is different than mine.

Any suggestions?

My goal is to be able to use my NTFS USB drive to back up games and play the backups. I don't have to stick to some IOS or homebrew apps.

stev418

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
NTFS partitions are now supported in all usb loaders, find the usbloader you would like to try and usually the first post will have a faq/tutorial to get you started. Other cIOS may still have uses but by far d2x cIOS is the recommended cIOS for backups.

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
My friend's wiimote worked. IOS236 installation was completed without a problem!

However, a new problem occurred. Since I'm using a USB drive in NTFS partition, according to the information I found, I need to install IOS222/223. But when I tried to install (Hermes') IOS222/223, even my friend's wiimote didn't work at the screen asking me to press some key, though the LED light is on, which is different than mine.

Any suggestions?

My goal is to be able to use my NTFS USB drive to back up games and play the backups. I don't have to stick to some IOS or homebrew apps.
get the cios as wads and install them with wad manager or mmm or wiimod
as for partitioning fat32 is highly recommended for emulated nand and gamecube, you can divide your drive into one fat32 partition (1st active) and a second ntfs partition for wii wbfs games.
or just use fat32 alone

alewela

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found that with USB Loader GX and d2x-cios NTFS partition worked perfectly. I didn't have to install any other IOS or software.
Thank you all for help.

stev418

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Here you go, only took a few minutes to reinstall devkitpro. I havent actually tested since i dont have new wii remote, but this boot.dol is build using libogc 1.8.11 and supposedly the remote issue was fixed in 1.8.9

Attachments

• IOS236_Installer_v6_[libogc.1.8.11_build].rar
    472.5 KB · Views: 1,729

crazydazzy

Trophies
XP
Country
I have one more question sorry to interrupt, I installed it, but during the installation (or before I started installing - there were 2 choices - the 1.st one said... I am a pirate, I want to play downloaded games and bla bla bla... and the 2nd one was something, like I didn't want to install this, and it will uninstall the THC. So I picked number one. - since I didn't it to uninstall the homebrew channel. After the installation (at least I think it was installed not sure...and then a text was written across the screen, that be glad, that I didn't unistall or brick ur nintendo wii and stuff like that) did anyone have the same problem, dis the ISO236 installed? what should I do thank you.

HappyGoose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried using this http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=50526 since the download provided here http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios236 was awful to get with the websites it was hosted on.
After I run it, it says it was for Wii U and if you used it on a regular Wii (like me) you broke your IOS 236.
Code:
 "printf("This MOD version of IOS236 installer is for Wii U's vWii ONLY!\nUsing this in a regular Wii will result in a broken IOS236.\n");"
https://github.com/Nanolx/ios236-installer-vwii/blob/master/source/main.c

I'm not sure if it got to that point though, because it ran a bit then said press any button to continue before I shut my wii off.

It had completed this:

patched isfs_permissions 1 times
patched es_sctuid 1 time
patches es_identify 1 times
patched hash_check 1 times
patched new_hash_check 1 times.
patched wii_patch_ptr1 0 times.
..ptr2 0 times
..ptr3 0 times
imit ISPS
Press any button to continue... (then I shut my wii off by unplug)

So far my Wii seems fine, but I was originally planning on installing IOS 236 to be able to install dx2 so that USB loading would work. I'm now going to try running this http://binaryclock.wordpress.com/2011/12/13/ios236-installer-pro-piracy-edition/ but I'm scared if it'll work normal now since I may have broken my IOS 236?

Here's a picture https://i.imgur.com/tfQgyLZ.jpg

I don't think it got to the point where it fully installed (broke in my case) the IOS 236, but it did "patch" some things: which I'm not sure if that is going to cause havok when I attempt to install the right IOS 236 using the normal Wii installer like I was suppose to. So I'm wondering if you guys would know if I'm good to go ahead?

HappyGoose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just use Modmii or search for Mauifrog's guide

Thanks but I'm wondering if I already screwed up my IOS 236 slot, that would cause havok when I try to run the correct IOS 236 installer. Because by accident, I ran a Wii U installer that said if run on a normal Wii would cause the IOS 236 to be broken. I'm pretty sure I got the right steps to continue the process of getting bootloaders to work, but I need to find out if I'm okay to continue after running the wrong thing that seemed to change some parameters that were suppose to be for the Wii U.

Modmii wasn't too helpful anyways though, the guide it gave me to setting up a USB loader didn't include the IOS 236 hack or the dx2, it just downloaded me the WiiManager and the UFGFloader and told me how to work those (which the UFG loader wouldn't work without doing the IOS 236 and dx2)

So yeah, 1- I don't know what having the IOS 236 slot "being broken" entails (maybe the IOS patcher would fix a broken one anyway?) and 2- I don't even know if it managed to break it, since it only did what seemed to partial parts of the process before it asked to continue and I shut it off (after realizing it was for the Wii U and said it'll break the IOS 236 slot on a normal Wii).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16