Introducing the 'SupaBoy S'

The 'SupaBoy S' is the perfect way to enjoy Super Nintendo games on the go!

supaboy-s-packaging-box-625x440.jpg

FunstockRetro.co.uk, Doncaster (10th, November, 2016)

The 'SupaBoy S' embraces the pursuit of the impossible: turning a portable console into a childhood dream. A modern dream. Maintaining a retro yet timeless look, the SupaBoy S gives the SupaBoy the revamp it deserves, with upgrades catering to the most discerning of gamers!

The hardware is nothing short of amazing with it's 10 hours of battery life, amazing crystal clear 4.3" screen that is fully backlit, and a PAL and NTSC switch to enable flawless region free gameplay! This portable console is a dream come true for anyone who grew up with the Super Nintendo and is a must own this holiday season!

General Manager of FunstockRetro.co.uk, Andy Pearson quoted:
"The Super Nintendo will always be one of the best 16 bit consoles to have ever been made. Many of my favourite titles are on the system, and I love the idea of taking my old cartridges and taking them with me wherever I go. The portability and improved design is a must have for anyone who wants to enjoy classic Super Nintendo memories on the go!"

supaboy-s-console-625x440.jpg

01e5006a-70ef-4694-a3bc-679246ed2188.png

The brand new SupaBoy S boasts the following new features:

• New larger 4.3" screen
  • PAL + NTSC Switch
  • Play your SNES and Super Famicom games
  • 2 player - use your original SNES controllers
  • Crystal clear speaker audio, including a 3.5 mm headphone jack
  • Adjustable brightness button
  • Rechargeable Li-Ion battery with 10 hours of battery life
  • Micro USB charge cable for computer USB port/AC adapter
supaboy-s-features-625x440.jpg

The SupaBoy S is available to pre-order at Europe's Number One Retro Gaming Destination, FunstockRetro.co.uk now at just £99.99.

D

Deleted User

It was displayed at E3, the screen aspect ratio looks off :unsure:
And the cartridge kinda sticks out a bit.

http://i.imgur.com/UbMri6r.jpg
Christ, I thought this would be sorta portable but no way.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

wait a sec!, this is new for me.. so N64 and gamecube can be played in commercial made-consoles without any legal problem?
I don't know much about Gamecube but yeah the N64 i think.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GameStop sold the SupaBoys in North America. GS then recalled the SupaBoys (gave refunds to all customers who requested them and stopped selling the product) due to the majority of them simply not working. My friend had to go through 3 until he found one that sometimes worked (and yes, we checked the carts in an original SNES to make sure it wasn't the cart). The build quality was horrendous. Zero quality control. I would recommend against the SupaBoy line.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
It's a shame the TV out on this is only composite. If it had HDMI output this would be the perfect device to butcher and put inside my modded SNES case which currently houses a RPi and a Retrode.

How is this preferable to a Retrode setup in any whatsoever? Other than it being portable... Which it loses when you stick it inside a SNES console...

Reactions: Subtle Demise

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Please put things like
The hardware is nothing short of amazing [...]
between two quote tags when they're not coming from you. Sounds stupid, but I honestly confused this for a review for a couple of seconds and scrolled to the bottom to look for a rating when I read that, because it's so unbelievable that a clone can be that good.

It's early in the morning and I'm still waking up, though, so that may be part of the problem...

Last edited by enarky,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
How is this preferable to a Retrode setup in any whatsoever? Other than it being portable... Which it loses when you stick it inside a SNES console...
The RPi has to boot before being used which takes time. Hot swapping carts doesn't work well, so it's often necessary to restart between games. I would assume that this decide is instant-on, which is of course a considerable benefit. However, the loss of HDMI isn't worth it.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
How is it possible that Nintendo allows this?
Their hardware patent has expired. If the console isn't using any proprietary / copyrighted code or encryption keys to run, there's nothing for Nintendo to "allow" or "not allow". They can't ban hardware for being compatible with their old cartridges.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Why would they even make the screen in that horrible ratio instead of 4:3? what kind of monsters are they?
I'm believe it was something like this:

Supaboy team: Hello, we want to ask for some small 4:3 screens.
Screen maker: No problem, your shipment of screens will be dispatched in a few days.
-A few days later-
Supaboy team: What is this?? these are 4.3 inch 16:9 screens.
Supaboy team: Ok, doesn't matter, this will do anyway.

AdamThompson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Jesus i thought the original was bad enough. I have an original supaboy and it is awful. if you don't stay completely still while playing the cart will jiggle and lose contact. lost a couple saves to that and havent touched it since.

That new screen looks god awful due to aspect ratio and at the very least they could include support for rom loading.

Honestly just think its better to stay away from anything hyperkin related.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm believe it was something like this:

Supaboy team: Hello, we want to ask for some small 4:3 screens.
Screen maker: No problem, your shipment of screens will be dispatched in a few days.
More like
Hyperkin: Hello, we want to buy some 4:3 screens.
Manufacturer: Whoa, nobody buys those any more, they're not really produced any more... Sure, we can do a limited run for $50 apiece, or you can have these 16:9 ones for $5 apiece.
Hyperkin: Well since you put it that way...

Not sure why they didn't just cover the excess parts of the screen and left only the 4:3 area visible.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
All they had to do was release it with a 480p HDMI out... But they had to go and fuck that up.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's probably the same as the PSP screen, which is a 480 x 272 TN screen. That is a very common 4.3" screen.
The PSP's 480x272 screen ratio is 16:9, not 4:3.

plushifoxed

I wanna talk more about kawaii stuff!
Trophies
Website
roxie.nyc
XP
Country
United States
Just buy a PSP (or a cheap New3DS and hack it) if you're desperate for mobile SNES games.
And if you really want an authentic experience, secondhand SNESes/SFCs are very cheap. I just bought a Japanese Super Famicom with all the parts, a copy of Tetris Attack, a cheap SFC game to swap the TA board into the case of, and a set of gamebits for the carts for around 70 bucks altogether. Works like a charm, and it's cheaper than buying a SNES to SFC adapter when the only thing that needs adapting is the physical plastic.
I intend to save up and get an EverDrive or a SD2SNES at some point, but they're pricey.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol