Hardware Internet stops working for a minute, then resumes

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really bizarre issue with my internet connection. So, currently I have it set up where I use POE or power over Ethernet as I cannot trust WiFi in general as I have bad luck with it, but Ethernet has always been infinitely more stable, such is the nature of the technology, but it too isn't perfect either. Now, for the most part, it runs perfectly and I get 50 megabits/sec down and 10 or so upload, not bad at all. Now, here's the weird part, one, when use the internet, intermittently, the internet will just "stop working" despite being connected, no triangle or disconnection notification, it still says that it is connected. Pages stop loading and eventually time out, but when I use CMD to ping a site, it sends and receives data packets just fine, however, the IP address is IPv6 and not IPv4, not sure if that has any relevance to my issue or not. I at least hope this makes sense, to sum it up:

- Internet connected to router via Power over Ethernet
- Internet runs nearly perfectly
- However, despite having perfect pings in CMD, webpages will on occasion refuse to load, spinning for about a minute or so and resume as if nothing had happened

Is this because POE and how it uses the house's power grid or something like it? I would go to WiFi, I really would, but unless I use one of those PCI-e cards with three antennas on them, I absolutely refuse to use a USB WiFi adapter, I've had nothing but bad luck with them lol.

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it is an issue with sites using ipv6 you can get windows to prefer ipv4 over ipv6. I would suggest you read the following Microsoft Fix-It link. They advise you not to disable it altogether.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929852

Last edited by ILuvGames,
Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it is an issue with sites using ipv6 you can get windows to prefer ipv4 over ipv6. I would suggest you read the following Microsoft Fix-It link. They advise you not to disable it altogether but you can get windows to prefer ipv4 over ipv6 by running that particular fix.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929852

I don't know if it being IPv6 is the real issue or not, or what's causing the intermittent cessation of connectivity. But it is random and yet, it doesn't happen all the time, but a couple of times a day. I know eventually IPv6 will be used when IPv4 addresses run out. I'll take a look at that link, and thanks ^_^

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I have this exact same problem, just over wifi on my laptop. Pretty much same regular speed though. I blame hiccups in my internet service itself. It's crap, so I'm never surprised when things just stop loading for a minute while I still appear to be fully connected. Earlier today, I had to wait about two minutes to be able to connect to Google or for any pages to finish refreshing. Fun times with crappy internet.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have this exact same problem, just over wifi on my laptop. Pretty much same regular speed though. I blame hiccups in my internet service itself. It's crap, so I'm never surprised when things just stop loading for a minute while I still appear to be fully connected. Earlier today, I had to wait about two minutes to be able to connect to Google or for any pages to finish refreshing. Fun times with crappy internet.

So, it's nothing I should be terribly worried about? And yeah, my ISP is *shudder* Comcast -_- I don't have a say in who we have as it's the only decent ISP in my area. Either that or Century Link, Digis, or Dish Network's internet. I get 50 mbps down and 15 mbps so speed-wise, it's pretty damned fast. At least I'm not using WiFi, but Power over Ethernet.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
So, it's nothing I should be terribly worried about? And yeah, my ISP is *shudder* Comcast -_- I don't have a say in who we have as it's the only decent ISP in my area. Either that or Century Link, Digis, or Dish Network's internet. I get 50 mbps down and 15 mbps so speed-wise, it's pretty damned fast. At least I'm not using WiFi, but Power over Ethernet.
Ha. I have Comcast too. Yeah, I'm just going to blame Comcast lol

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ha. I have Comcast too. Yeah, I'm just going to blame Comcast lol

Oh! Well, I'll be damned lol. So, it's gotta be their end then, and not the fact I use power over Ethernet, and I refuse to use WiFi whenever I can, it's too unstable for my needs.

Also, 14,000 posts :D

Reactions: VinsCool

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I'm not familiar with POE so I've no idea how it affects packet integrity. Usually when there's a temporary dropout in networks I've managed (ethernet, wireless or powerline), I tend to trace it to packets getting choked/lost somewhere down the line and how protocols handle request timeouts and retries.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not familiar with POE so I've no idea how it affects packet integrity. Usually when there's a temporary dropout in networks I've managed (ethernet, wireless or powerline), I tend to trace it to packets getting choked/lost somewhere down the line and how protocols handle request timeouts and retries.

I'm thinking it's related to Comcast being shit, but again, I've no choice as all other ISPs in my town suck big time, and Google Fiber hasn't come to out city yet. I mean, yeah, it doesn't happen a lot, but it it does happen a few times per day. WiFi is not an option as I download quite frequently and use Skype everyday, so, I thought I'd ask here as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this issue :P

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have never had problems with PoE, and I have used them for connections between SCADA and some weather dataloggers in industrial application with no connectivity problems at all for several months of continuous operation.
PoE is well tested and used in the industry, I wouldn't blame it on PoE, it is quite reliable. Comcast in the other hand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.