PS1/2 Internal memory card mod

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I just added my FMB memory card to the inside for a cleaner look.

I think I want to add two memory cards to port 2 with a switch to choose between.

I'm kinda groggy due to pain meds after getting my vasectomy and I can't think of how!

I suppose I'd connect the power lines to a switch? position 1 for mem card 1, position 2 for mem card 2? maybe a third position for no memory card?

id like to have a slide switch but led would be better i think with like no led for off, blue for 1 and red 2 or something similar.

any ideas welcome!

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not just buy this memory card?

http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-2-Memory-Card-16MB/dp/B000WE8JES

It is 2 x 8 MB memory card in one package with a switch to choose between them. Plus it is a Sony licensed memory card rather than no good ebay one.

Because I want it all internal. My son likes to pull the memory cards out. I got a 7 month old thats getting ready to crawl soon too. Its just easier and I think looks nicer as well.

A switch on the power line sounds good. You can add LED's to the same line OR use the 7.5V pin - it's not used by genuine cards.

I wonder if any damage would occur should they be put on together by accident?

I'm thinking 1 on-off slider w led for mem card 1 on the left and another on the right for mem card 2. my only concern is if they were both switched on by my kids in error. or maybe even up and down sliders.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why have two switches if you can have one? Buy a three-step switch to make it Left/Off/Right or a two-step to make it Left/Right. As for your earlier question, if both were turned on (which is impossible on a single switch) at once, 3.3V/2=1.15V, meaning nothing at all would happen.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why have two switches if you can have one? Buy a three-step switch to make it Left/Off/Right or a two-step to make it Left/Right. As for your earlier question, if both were turned on (which is impossible on a single switch) at once, 3.3V/2=1.15V, meaning nothing at all would happen.

Gotcha. I was thinking the three way that would be ideal, but i couldn't find one at radioshack.com.

There is really not much info about PS2 out there! From my research it looks like ill need to have pin 5 as the switched power? does that sound right to you foxi? there are two power sources listed, +7v and +3v.

if its not a bother could you link me to the switch you are referring to for an example?

edit: i think i may have found some three way switches but no sliders :( i would prefer a slider, but i guess the rocker isnt terrible. especially if its labelled " | 0 || " then its easy to distinguish which one it is.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's two power lines, 7.5V is not used by memory cards, so skip it unless you want to power something else. The 3.3V one is the one powering memory cards, that's the pin you want.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's two power lines, 7.5V is not used by memory cards, so skip it unless you want to power something else. The 3.3V one is the one powering memory cards, that's the pin you want.

This look logical? forgive my terrible diagram!

of course this is with 2 switches. i dont think radio shack carries the 3 position switches and i think they are too big anyway. i need a small switch. the blue and red dots on the left of the switch is supposed to be an LED.

http://po.st/GE2wmW

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Disconnect the 7.5V pin altogether and ignore it (I forgot which one it is) and you should be golden.

You also don't need two switches - connect the line to the middle pin, then line to mem1 to the left and line to mem2 to the right with diodes on each line. This may vary depending on the switch, so double-check.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think i get it now that my mind is a little bit more clear this morning.

pin 5 on ps2 - input on switch
pad 5 on mc 1- output 1 on switch
pad 5 on mc 2 - output 2 on switch

so its always on. i was thinking i needed it off for some reason lol.

edit: why would i need a diode?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: