ROM Hack Metal Max 3 Translation Project

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went ahead and did the first 6, I need to work on schoolwork now but I'll get back to this tomorrow:

2.png (Item menus and tank commands)
どうぐ - Tool
かいふく - Medicine
せんとう - Attack
そうび - Equipment
これでOK - OK
全員乗る - All Embark
全員降りる - All Disembark
けんいん - Tow

3.png (Weather effects)
晴れ - Clear
曇り - Cloudy
雨 - Rain
大雨 - Heavy Rain
雪 - Snow
猛暑 - Heat Wave

4.png (No clue, find ingame context for better translation)
の決闘! - 's duel!

5.png
corrupted beyond my ability to decipher, can force myself to get something from if need be but for now ill wait on a fixed format

6.png (some arena thing? never got this far in mm3)
無制限デュエル - Unlimited Duel
ビギナーデュエル - Beginner Duel
100tデュエル - 100 Tile Duel
バイクデュエル - Bike Duel
カスタムデュエル - Custom Duel
連勝中!! - Victory!!

Last edited by Lilfut,

MetalFan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
I went ahead and did the first 6, I need to work on schoolwork now but I'll get back to this tomorrow:

2.png (Item menus and tank commands)
どうぐ - Item
かいふく - Medicine
せんとう - Attack
そうび - Equipment
これでOK - OK
全員乗る - All Embark
全員降りる - All Disembark
けんいん - Tow

3.png (Weather effects)
晴れ - Clear
曇り - Cloudy
雨 - Rain
大雨 - Heavy Rain
雪 - Snow
猛暑 - Heat Wave

4.png (No clue, find ingame context for better translation)
の決闘! - 's duel!

5.png
corrupted beyond my ability to decipher, can force myself to get something from if need be but for now ill wait on a fixed format

6.png (some arena thing? never got this far in mm3)
無制限デュエル - Unlimited Duel
ビギナーデュエル - Beginner Duel
100tデュエル - 100 Tile Duel
バイクデュエル - Bike Duel
カスタムデュエル - Custom Duel
連勝中!! - Victory!!

That is what i want.!!!!!!!!!!! Great I reupload the graphics again as the have ready thanks bro

Last edited by MetalFan,

Lakum

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
For the files with 0x10 or 0x20 size palettes, Import From -> This File, with the offset 4 bytes after the TXPL, size 8 or 16, format 15bpp BGR. Use 4bpp linear reverse-order codec, 2-dimensional mode, and resize the canvas until everything fits. Not sure about the files with 0x200 size palettes; they should use an 8bpp codec but I couldn't find the correct settings.
sJgg4jK.png

I don't have time to translate a whole game, sorry.

Just finished figuring out the rest of the sections for MSG files, so they should be fully supported now. Updated the link on page 1.

Could you update your tool for Metal Max 2 Reloaded as well. Someone may try to translate that too later.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/seeking-coder-metal-max-2-reloaded-translation.418480/

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's probably best to focus on one project at a time at this point. I personally consider 2 Reloaded the superior game, though, so once MM3 is done and released I'd definitely like to take it on next.

Reactions: Lakum

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could you please add support for .tex files in the folder menu to reintegrate them and pack them once translated.
Done. Make sure to start with a new extracted folder instead of overwriting the old one.
I also added support for the remaining .NAM files with matching .ARR files, but there are more unmatched .NAM files that probably have pointers in different .ARR files. Still need to figure out how to find those pointers.

Could you update your tool for Metal Max 2 Reloaded as well. Someone may try to translate that too later.
The two games use the same engine, so it should be simple to update that inserter once this one is finished.

Last edited by DarthNemesis,
Reactions: Lakum

MetalFan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Done. Make sure to start with a new extracted folder instead of overwriting the old one.
I also added support for the remaining .NAM files with matching .ARR files, but there are more unmatched .NAM files that probably have pointers in different .ARR files. Still need to figure out how to find those pointers.

Thanks DarthNemesis you are the best bro. Now I'm working with graphics that is much less to translate. Then I'll look at in the SETUMEI_ITEM.SET, SETUMEI_SUBABILITY.SET and SETUMEI_TOKUGI.SET files and send you the pointers so you can add support for them. I try to work with the graphics with 8bpp codec using the same method but the palette doesn’t work well ,the only graphic that the palette works fine is the ICON171. Do you have any clues about this issue? It could be compressed palette or something? Or Tile Molester bug maybe? Thank you so much.Best regards

Thanks for upgrade the tool so fast

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks DarthNemesis you are the best bro. Now I'm working with graphics that is much less to translate. Then I'll look at in the SETUMEI_ITEM.SET, SETUMEI_SUBABILITY.SET and SETUMEI_TOKUGI.SET files and send you the pointers so you can add support for them. I try to work with the graphics with 8bpp codec using the same method but the palette doesn’t work well ,the only graphic that the palette works fine is the ICON171. Do you have any clues about this issue? It could be compressed palette or something? Or Tile Molester bug maybe? Thank you so much.Best regards

Thanks for upgrade the tool so fast

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are more unmatched .NAM files that probably have pointers in different .ARR files. Still need to figure out how to find those pointers.
I cross-checked every possible pointer position in every .ARR file against every .NAM file to see if any were connected and the only ones that were even close were the ones with matching names. But there are definitely pointers somewhere, since if I shorten a string at the top of a file all the rest of the strings have the first letter cut off. Probably in arm9.bin...

...yeah, found the pointers for SYSMSG_MESSAGE.NAM in arm9.bin after decompressing it. The rest are probably in there too, and it has its own text and pointers. This will be complicated...

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
holy fuck that emulator, its progressing well but that sound emulation is pretty terrible

In the meantime, I've got a good bit of the Crying Mama text translated! This is a lot of text to take on but I'm having fun with it. Delinquent speech is always fun to translate, lol

Reactions: Musgora

Lakum

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
holy fuck that emulator, its progressing well but that sound emulation is pretty terrible

In the meantime, I've got a good bit of the Crying Mama text translated! This is a lot of text to take on but I'm having fun with it. Delinquent speech is always fun to translate, lol
Could you release an alpha patch on romhacking.net with a link to this thread?

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hahaha, nowhere near far enough along. Right now SOME of the text in the first town is done. Translation takes time!

Lakum

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hahaha, nowhere near far enough along. Right now SOME of the text in the first town is done. Translation takes time!
Yea I know but I think if you release some patch early it may attract more programmers and translators.

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, I don't wanna release some barely-completed half-assed patch (remember that Romancing SaGa 2 "patch" that translates attack names and nothing else?). I DO think it would be cool to sorta do a video of an early part of the game with the patch, just to say "hey, this is happening!", but I'd want that first part to be pretty much 100% done before we did that.

MetalFan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Hi DarthNemesis as i promise you these are the pointer to text in the files SETUMEI_ITEM.SET, SETUMEI_SUBABILITY.SET and SETUMEI_TOKUGI.SET please can you check and add support to you tool to work with them. I finish the extraction of the graphics with the correct palette and i send it to lilfut ,thank you very much for your explanation.We'll be in touch

SETUMEI_ITEM.SET POINTERS
First group Begins in offset 0C ends at 59B
Second group Begins in offset A48 ends at B37

SETUMEI_SUBABILITY.SET POINTERS
Begins in offset 08 ends at 7B3

SETUMEI_TOKUGI.SET POINTERS
Begins in offset 08 ends at 13B

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi DarthNemesis as i promise you these are the pointer to text in the files SETUMEI_ITEM.SET, SETUMEI_SUBABILITY.SET and SETUMEI_TOKUGI.SET please can you check and add support to you tool to work with them.
Yeah I added those already. The arm9 stuff will take longer though.

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've still got classes so this is in the slow lane for the time being, but I've got a decent bit of the graphics translated! Here's some screencaps courtesy of MetalFan:

oNS5URj.png
X8q1cRu.png
KeZEjl3.png

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been away for a while due to exams and such, but I'm back and still willing to work on this. I don't have much experience, but I can definitely vouch for being able to make it sound good in English, especially since the scripts for both MM3 and MM2R are so ridiculously fun and over-the-top. So, do we have scripts that it is possible to work with now, or are we still working directly out of the internal files? I would love to help out with anything I can, since I'm a huge fan of the Metal Max series.
I'm not too skilled with working with all the tools and internal files, so if someone could point me in the right direction and just tell me what needs working on, that would be perfect.

EDIT: Well, since nobody replied, I ended up figuring out how to extract the text myself. I'm going to start translating enemy names. I've been looking forward to this, it's going to put my punning skills to the test to come up with "good" English equivalents.

EDIT 2: I've been doing some, and I've found a big limitation on letting me make the best translations possible: only 11 characters will fit on-screen before it's cut off. Would there be any way to extend this at all, or should I just try to do my best to come up with equivalents that fit in the 11 character limit?

Last edited by Terithian,
Reactions: Musgora

MetalFan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
I feel so much the delay in my answer.Terithian Your help is very welcome in this project and I believe that we must unite to achieve this translation. We are currently working with the translation of the graphics with some advances. Lilfut is working as the main translator of the proyect I do not like the idea that two people translate parallel by the difference of terms at least with the texts of history. But a lot of material needs to by translate and if you could work in item names, monster names by now would be great. write me for contact and to send you the material to translate, because I have bad internet. Contact for any questions and if I can help you with something. We'll be in touch
Some Screens
TawBBJg.png
rfOYf5f.png

Last edited by MetalFan,
Reactions: amicus

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm translating some item names until I get a reply about my last question. They still have the 11 character limit, but extending the limit, even if possible, would look bad in the menu so I'm shortening and coming up with alternate translations to fit every item name within 11 characters.
Also, good lord. I knew there were a lot of different items in the game from having played it, but I wouldn't have guessed 1562 unique items. Only 1300 to go!

Last edited by Terithian,

Lakum

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I wonder if this thread could be renamed to Metal Max 3 Translation Project? People would knew it's actually happening without even clicking on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey