Hardware Intel core i7 2670QM turbo boost

Ginz90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys,i have this laptop with intel core i7(2.2 GHZ, Turbo Boost to 3.1 GHz) and i just installed skyrim.for some reason now even when i do nothing the turbo boost went upvfrom 2.2 to 2.8-2.9..is this something i should be concerned of?im really bad at gadget stuffs so appreciate if someone could help me :/

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,i have this laptop with intel core i7(2.2 GHZ, Turbo Boost to 3.1 GHz) and i just installed skyrim.for some reason now even when i do nothing the turbo boost went upvfrom 2.2 to 2.8-2.9..is this something i should be concerned of?im really bad at gadget stuffs so appreciate if someone could help me :/

That's normal, it's supposed to boost the CPU frequency while keeping voltages at safe levels. I have that exact same CPU, and I can assure you that your CPU's lifespan won't be any shorter than it should be. As long as you're not reaching into the 90-100 Celsius levels for temperatures, you've nothing to worry about. Intel Turbo Boost will increase speed based on what's going on behind the scenes. Right now as I use Chrome, it fluctuates between 2.7 to 2.9 GHz, but it's nothing to be concerned about. B-)

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
But before this it stays at 2.2 when nothings on :x what could cause it to go up?
It's designed to only boost itself when it's required. The reason it stays at 2.2 otherwise is most likely that you don't need more than that in those situations.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But before this it stays at 2.2 when nothings on :x what could cause it to go up?
Again, it's nothing to worry about, it only uses more speed when needed and won't make its lifespan any shorter. Believe me, the idea of Turbo Boost overclocking the CPU used to scare the hell outta me, but, after finding out that it's well within Intel's safety parameters (power consumption, heat, etc), it's no big deal.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Turboboost undervolts the processor when not needed (lowering clock frequency) and boosts when its needed.
I.e. When you're in games your process needs to do a lot of stuff in real time so the processor gets a boost. Meanwhile idling on the desktop, playing games sees the frequency go down to minimum because it doesn't need to use the power. E.g. My core i5 is currently idling around 1.5GHz. This can go all the way up to 3.2GHz (according to Intel though I've never seen it happen). Usually in games it goes up to 2.8/2.9GHz

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turboboost undervolts the processor when not needed (lowering clock frequency) and boosts when its needed.
I.e. When you're in games your process needs to do a lot of stuff in real time so the processor gets a boost. Meanwhile idling on the desktop, playing games sees the frequency go down to minimum because it doesn't need to use the power. E.g. My core i5 is currently idling around 1.5GHz. This can go all the way up to 3.2GHz (according to Intel though I've never seen it happen). Usually in games it goes up to 2.8/2.9GHz

An excellent explanation, much better than how I explained it.:P I often see my CPU reach 2.8/2.9 GHz under heavy load (Skyrim, Dolphin, etc), but around 2.2/2.3 GHz when watching movies or using Chrome. I have a cooler and with that, my CPU rarely exceeds 80-82 Celsius, which while that is hot, it's not going to ruin it.

Ginz90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks but it just spikes to 2.8 even when im just surfing facebook on chrome and not in any games.does it happen to you guys??

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Yep I get similar spikes when loading webpages on Firefox. CPU sees the demand and expects more to come so spikes the clock speed. When it doesn't come it goes back down.

Ginz90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorted it out already.apparently its a malware and i got rid of it and everything works fine.btw thanks for the help guys!! :)))

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Wonder if there are Super FX repro carts too, no?