Hacking Installing RGH in 2017 (some newbie questions)

force53

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So we have two Xbox 360 consoles here: one is a Trinity box, the other one is a Corona V1. Me and my friend would both like to RGH them.

From what I've read so far, it seems that Team Xecuter's CR4XL would be the best (easiest to install, fastest boot times) choice for both consoles but unfortunately, it's too expensive. I'd be willing to pay the price for the glitcher itself (around 40 euros), but after shipping and taxes (from the official EU reseller linked to on TX's site, Shop01media) it's just too much. Matrix flasher + CR4XL shipped to FI from S01 would cost over 83 euros total... (a bit cheaper if I order 2 of both but still too much). I could probably get a premodded box for about 100 euros these days...

So what would be your recommendations for a glitcher for these boxes? Would this be ok for both boxes and work just as well?

Also my friend opened his Corona box already (to verify what version it is), but I haven't opened my Trinity yet (and would prefer not to until we're actually ready to install). Is it correct that all Trinity boxes can be flashed using a NAND programmer (like the Matrix flasher), even those that came without a HDD like mine? (since for 4GB Corona boxes it seems that a eMMC->SD adapter must be used instead)

force53

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I just wish it was cheaper to get the genuine CR4XL around here... 2pcs from modchipcentral would be almost 130 dollars shipped, then it could possibly get stuck in customs and we'd have to pay even more since they're not shipping from within EU like Shop01media :(

I'll have to look into Ace V3. Is it as easy to install as CR4XL and has good boot times on both Trinity and Corona v1? Also CR3 Lite seems to work with both and could maybe be bought for less but the boot times seem to kinda suck on Trinity based on a video I just found on Youtube, takes about 25 secs most of the time.

Still willing to help with troubleshooting if we buy some clone chip instead?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Do not purchase a clone chip.
Those will do more harm then good.

Boot times is really a matter of trying different CPU_RST wire lengths and proper soldering.
The Ace V3 seems to be a really good chip, heard many people are using it right now.

force53

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Okay, but it has to be reprogrammed for use in Trinity, right? Would be preferable if the install could be done without a CPLD programmer (just a NAND flasher).

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You could ask the seller to program them for you.
But yes, they need to be programmed.

What you could do is get a JRunner programmer and do the dumping with that as well.
You could sell it on later.

force53

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Okay, just ordered two ACE v3 chips and a CPLD+NAND programmer. We'll see how this goes in a couple of weeks probably.

Btw. my friend's Corona box has been updated to whatever the latest dash is, but my own Trinity box was last used and updated in 2011 or 2012. Should I update it to the latest official dash before starting installation or are there some benefits to sticking to an older version? (I recall reading something about some boxes having better boot times with older dashes)

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Only applies to Phat consoles, and now with the advancements RGH has made, glitch cycles are almost a thing of the past.

Just update both to 17511.

force53

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Okay, my friend got his box working (my turn will be some time next week). The ACEv3 glitcher seems to work great (without any reprogramming) on his Corona box, boot time is under 10 seconds every time.

Is it possible to partition the internal HDD so that it has separate partitions for Linux (via Xell) and the patched Microsoft OS? Or will I just have to give the whole internal HDD to MS OS and stick to installing Linux to a USB drive?

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have the same question only i have a 360 elite (the phat one) so is the ace still a good option?

(I have rgh before so have jrp)

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks I'll look into it more, been years since I rgh lol. Last one was a corona and it needed extra parts, all I need is the chip and wires since I have the jrp or am I forgetting something?

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks I'll look into it more, been years since I rgh lol. Last one was a corona and it needed extra parts, all I need is the chip and wires since I have the jrp or am I forgetting something?

Matrix glitcher v1(no clk crystal) is usually the best option for phats right now, with RGH 1.2 timing files. On rare occasions the Ace turns out better because it's RGH2 timing is better, if 1.2 won't glitch it. Ace can also utilize 1.2, but it's more complicated to setup. All you need are the RGH 1.2 files from 15432, a phat 360(except xenon/zephyr), a jrp, matrix chip, and J-runner. Aside from soldering supplies obviously.

Reactions: elmoemo

force53

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Is the ACE supposed to be connected to the Xbox motherboard before the CPLD can be programmed? Because so far we've been unable to get the CPLD recognized by the computer (it's only connected to the CPLD programmer currently). The programmer itself seems to get recognized fine.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the ACE supposed to be connected to the Xbox motherboard before the CPLD can be programmed? Because so far we've been unable to get the CPLD recognized by the computer (it's only connected to the CPLD programmer currently). The programmer itself seems to get recognized fine.

After you remove the resistor, and wire to the 1.8v point, yes. Standby power is required to program the chip at that point because the chip can't take power from the programmer. You'd have to give me a bit more info if that isn't the case.

1. What are you using to program it?

2. Which program are you using to program it?

3. Pics of chip, and wiring from programmer to chip

Last edited by brickmii82,

force53

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
1. The programmer is a clone of TX J-R Programmer V2. If you check, even the official European reseller TX links to on their page (shop01media) only sells clones of this product currently, and there's no way I am going to order the genuine version from North America. The price of the product itself isn't that bad, but after shipping fees from modchipcentral and possible customs duties + taxes the total cost would be almost the same as that of a premodded box bought locally... (they seriously want almost $70 for shipping, I think that's CAD, not USD but it's still way too expensive)

2. Tried multiple versions of J-Runner and also NANDPro v3. The programmer itself is detected, but the CPLD is not. When the CPLD/NAND switch on the programmer is in the CPLD position, the LED on the ACE board lights up but otherwise nothing.

3. See attached JPEG file.

Btw. we also tried to program it with an Arduino (using https://github.com/sowbug/JTAGWhisperer) because I suspected that the cloned programmer might be broken, but that didn't work either. I guess there's still the LPT cable option if the problem here isn't just that the chip has to be connected to the Xbox before programming (I didn't even bring the console to my friend's place yet, tomorrow).

EDIT: Ok I read some more about this from different sources and I think this is most likely the problem here, programming doesn't work if the Xilinx chip is only powered from VCCaux and not VCCio. However, nobody here made any modifications to the ACE board at all. Is it supposed to come with something that bridges VCCaux to VCCio out of the box?

Attachments

• conn.jpg
    conn.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 2,118
Last edited by force53,

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it should be fine out of the box. Everything looks fine. Are you using custom nand/CR function in JRunner? You click that to open up the box, click browse to go to the xsvf file you're using(or you can drag and drop) change the option to xsvf, and click run. If this isn't working, make sure the JRP has the latest firmware, and be aware that the Ace won't "be detected" until you hit run.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey