Hacking Installing pkg from NTFS drive?

Duo8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Is it possible? I tried copying a pkg to the root of a ntfs drive, but neither package installer nor multiman sees it.
I'm not even sure if it sees the ntfs drive at all.

If it's not possible, then what's the most practical way to install >4GB pkg?

D

Deleted User

IRISMAN is one of the good file managers to use if you want to install PKGs from an NTFS USB drive. It should automatically copy to the packages directory on your HDD when you select the PKG from the drive in the file browser.

IIRC, you should then be able to select it through package manager -> install packages -> internal storage (forgot the actual option name).

Duo8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
IRISMAN is one of the good file managers to use if you want to install PKGs from an NTFS USB drive. It should automatically copy to the packages directory on your HDD when you select the PKG from the drive in the file browser.

IIRC, you should then be able to select it through package manager -> install packages -> internal storage (forgot the actual option name).
Is there no way to do it without copying to internal?
Is it possible to mount the internal hdd on a pc then copy the files to it?

D

Deleted User

Is there no way to do it without copying to internal?
Is it possible to mount the internal hdd on a pc then copy the files to it?
I haven't heard of any methods about installing a PKG directly from the USB, so it might not be an option. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.
I don't think you can "mount" the internal storage on a PC either; probably the closest thing to that is just FTP. Although it could be worth trying out FTP via an ethernet cable, if you have one spare. You'll possibly get a very large file transfer speed boost since the files are travelling over a wire.

Duo8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I haven't heard of any methods about installing a PKG directly from the USB, so it might not be an option. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.
I don't think you can "mount" the internal storage on a PC either; probably the closest thing to that is just FTP. Although it could be worth trying out FTP via an ethernet cable, if you have one spare. You'll possibly get a very large file transfer speed boost since the files are travelling over a wire.
Well I do have gigabit ethernet at least, will try.

EDIT: what about letting the ps3 download the pkg itself?

theplumber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This thread is quite old now, but Robofozz came up with a solution:

Get an NTFS drive so you can place a full, unsplit PKG on it and plug it in. Open up Irisman, hit start and Tools then File Manager. Find your PKG, press Square and choose Mount + Exit. You'll be taken back to the XMB and your PKG will show up in the Install PKG section like normal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm