Hacking Installing emuNand on firmware 2.4 (old 3ds)

justread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi, I have got an old 3DS with Firmware 2.4 (from 2011). I would like to keep this firmware but play new games (original cartridges). Can I use emuNand to

1) dump my firmware
2) boot a new firmware via SD card
3) Play original cartridges on this new firmware booted from SD card
4) unlink my sysNand Firmware to make sure it stays how it is
5) restore the link to sysNand / restore it via the dump

Can I use just browserhax and some other tools to archive this?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
2.4 doesn't exist... surely you mean 2.x-4?

There are no cfws that, as released, can be run over 2.x. You will want to backup your nand and dump your OTP (since you're already on 2.x you can use 2xrsa-browserhax), get a game with a 4.0-9.2 update, then you'll be able to directly install a9lh!
See https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update

(As technology is today, you can't run 3.x or under on a system with cfw, even if you don't intend to run that operating system through cfw)

Reactions: justread

justread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thank you for your help guys :). I will read your links. Would you recommend emuNand or redNand for booting from SD card? Or can just luma custom firmware do this on its own? I like the idea of a region free 3ds, since the pound sterling is dropping because of the Brexit.

Last edited by justread,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dump your OTP first and foremost. After you do that you can update to 9.2 using rxTools, then you could install a9lh.
Even if you don't want a9lh for the time being, you might as well dump your OTP in case you ever want to in the future, seemshow you are already on the correct firmware to do so, it would be as easy as dropping a few files on your SD and launching a specific web URL.
After you dump OTP, I would update to 9.2 even if you don't want a9lh as it's currently the best for running emuNAND.
I would link to plailect guide, but at this point it may be confusing as what the guide says to do would install a9lh and dump OTP at the same time, which would then basically cause a brick because CFW won't run 2.x and OP would not have a 9.2 backup.
I feel plailect should make a secondary guide for those who manage to obtain a 3ds that already has 2.x.

justread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
TheCyberQuake, Plailect seems nice since it installs luma (regio free gaming, yeah!). Would I do the same as Plailect does, when I dumped my OTP, install 9.2 and install luma by hand?

justread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Would you guys recommend using emuNand / redNand or writing the custom firmware directly to sysNand? Are there problems with redNand (speed, compatibility)?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would you guys recommend using emuNand / redNand or writing the custom firmware directly to sysNand? Are there problems with redNand (speed, compatibility)?
if you decide to go the A9LH route, there really is no purpose for emuNAND/redNAND, and you overall just get better compatibility with CFW sysNAND. The only benefits of emuNAND/redNAND without A9LH exist for sysNAND with A9LH

justread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ok I made a backup of the otp and saved several times at different locations. made a backup of the nand of 2.1-4 too. OTP Helper is running. How can I update to 9.2 via otp helper?

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't upgrade to 9.2 via OTP Helper. Unfortunately, nobody's written any program which lets you directly update to 9.2 from 2.x, even though in theory it should be possible.

So you have to follow what the guide lists for 9.2.0 update. The best option is to use a cart to update to 4.x or 6.x, then use the rxtools method of upgrading to 9.2. The alternative methods would require an exploit game.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
We are talking about this guide, right: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update

Just to make sure. I have new super mario brothers 2 which should be 4.1 (can i confirm it anywhere?). I will insert the game, update the firmware. How do I start the rxtools 2.5.2? Again via a browser exploit?
Your username is a bit ironic considering everything is laid out step by step in https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update which has been linked numerous times.

justread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Your username is a bit ironic considering everything is laid out step by step in https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update which has been linked numerous times.

I have read this guide several times. I just wanted to make sure I understand it correctly. I allready dumped the otp and the nand. I got RX tools. But I am not sure how to start it after updating.

Do I install the homebrew launcher in 2.1 and update then? Or do I install 4.1 and start RX tools via an other exploit? Do I have to install the launcher homebrew in 4.1 to be able to execute homebrew in 9.2? Or do I use a browser in 9.2 to install the homebrew launcher in it?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have read this guide several times. I just wanted to make sure I understand it correctly. I allready dumped the otp and the nand. I got RX tools. But I am not sure how to start it after updating.

Do I install the homebrew launcher in 2.1 and update then? Or do I install 4.1 and start RX tools via an other exploit? Do I have to install the launcher homebrew in 4.1 to be able to execute homebrew in 9.2? Or do I use a browser in 9.2 to install the homebrew launcher in it?
All you do is look at the table on the guide and it tells you:
"4.X.X Cart Update then rxTools 2.5.2"
So you update with a cart to 4.x.x, then you use rxTools to install sysUpdater.cia to sysNAND and then run that to update to 9.2. The guide literally says "then", to indicate you do one before the other, and even has a table that lets you find what firmware you are running and what you can do to update it.

justread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ok, thank you for your help and sorry for wasting your time. I was just a bit scared about bricking the 3ds. I will just blindly follow the instructions step by step and stop worrying that a crucial step is missing and not explained. Again thank you for patience and help :).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended