Hardware Installing an LCD screen on the side of a nintendo wii

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi everyone I want to put a LCD monitor probably about 10.1 inches something around there would fit nicely into the side of the wii's casing, What do you think would it be too difficult I ordered a triwing screwdriver so I can undo the screws for my NDS phat so I can clean out all the dust and grime it has on the inside from the previous owner then I thought of doing this to my wii

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's all that difficult. I just don't think there's enough space in the case for it. You will probably get it partially in, and use some bondo to bevel the edges nicely.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
that's what I was thinking I know it's a really tight space in there I just don't know if I should just grab something like a portable screen and ditch it's casing then embed it in the side of the wii
and I could use the bottom usb port to keep the screen charged

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Provided you will order an LCD that comes *with* a driver PCB that's compatible with either Composite or Component video signals, it's not going to be difficult at all and that kind of a mod can be performed with minimal to no soldering, depending on how aesthetically pleasing you want it to be. ;)

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget to get two IR LED's (you could probably pull them out of the sensor bar) so that the wiimote works with it.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're making me want to do one, but alas I don't have the parts. I wonder if the Wii will operate with the DVD drive disconnected. That would create more space and allow me to internalize an HDD. Just plug in power and go!

Reactions: GamerSince83

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I more a less want to do this because currently I stay with my sister and don't have a tv of my own so I want to embed a tv in my wii so i'll never have to worry about it and i'm going to keep the video port as it is so if I ever consider getting a good tv when I have some money so I can still connect my wii to something else

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then why embed the screen in the Wii? I think the way I would do it I could still use the av port, because it is a split-able signal via analog means (i.e. a RCA "Y" adapter).

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess I don't know I thought of embedding the screen just to have a private screen for it but still have the ability to connect it to a tv

djbubba2002

Trophies
XP
Country
You're making me want to do one, but alas I don't have the parts. I wonder if the Wii will operate with the DVD drive disconnected. That would create more space and allow me to internalize an HDD. Just plug in power and go!

Yes it will work. I took out my drive about 3 years ago and the system (wii) is still running good

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

D2Sundriver?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Naw. I was thinking of just using a USB loader (i.e. CFG Loader, Wiiflow, etc.). If that were the case I would either have the HDD fully loaded, make a hardware mod to switch the USB port into an input, or just use FTPii.

Hm fair enough c:
I'm planning on getting a Sundriver soon.
Just load me Wii with the exclusives I want.
Idk, I just don't like external HDD's next to consoles.
but it's an opinion ;p

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have everything but an extra USB drive. Upon looking into a disassembled Wii. I don't think there is enough room because of the heat sink.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought about all of this and it's cheaper for me to just go buy a usb VCR recording device and use that with Stereoscopic player by 3dtv.at A really good decent screen would have costed me about $200 so not worth it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs