codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so here's the skinny...

At one end, I got my CECHA PS3 plugged to my TV via HDMI, naturally. And as expected, all those PS1 and PS2 games that I would play on the PS3 manage to look a lot cleaner/better, even if I played them with the same component video cables that I'd otherwise give to my modchipped PS2.

At the other, I have my PSP go in its cradle, connected to the same TV via Component Video cables.

The game in question for the purpose of this experiment, is Bust A Groove, the rhythm and music game and kind of a precursor to the likes of DDR.

So, I have the disc in hand and play the game from it on my PS3. Graphically the game looks as pleasant as I expected it to when letting it handle it the Sony way. However, visually there is a sizable problem. Even when I'm visually following the timing to press for the beats, I miss them every time. This is with it set to the best resolution, naturally. Using Multiman, i can override this and tell it to output at 480p instead. While not perfect, it does put me within the margin of error so I could play the game to the end again.

Now, here's the curious bit... I then rip this game and convert it to be a PSN-style release to then play on my PSP, and put it on the go system. Using it, and playing with a paired PS3 controller, it's almost like I don't have any input lag at all, when it seemed like most sites that discuss the subject of input lag (like this one ) all seem to indicate that if anything, input lag on an HDTV should be much worse with an analog source than a digital source in large part because so many of them have their video transcoders giving preferential treatment to digital sources.

Before I tested the PSP, at first I was all set to chalk it up to just the PS3 being kind of crap on input lag when upscaling a PS1 game, but then I also saw another youtube ( such as this one ) and doing so at 1080p and actually getting really great response from the thing. So, now I'm confused...

Is it that I somehow have an HDTV that is actually better at analog sources than digital ones?
Is it because the person uploading these youtube videos is taking advantage of a TV that has better input lag over HDMI?
Or is there something else I should consider about this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?