Homebrew Injecting roms into VC? With only the web browser? Sure.

AndreyDNSF

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Great Work on my 3ds xl 9.4 FW:nds:
aQNKomSgTBA.jpg

GameFreakDude

More gorgeous than any Hollywood star!
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ooh, this is cool. I threw a couple things into my copy of Shantae for fun, with a couple interesting results.
Throwing in Wario Land II seemed to work until the actual game started, at which point Wario was wide awake and in a weird room that I couldn't escape from. Going back through the door just made it crap out to the title. No idea what that's about.
Donkey Kong Country works perfectly fine, if you really want to play it on your 3DS, for some reason. That's a 32 megabit cartridge, so yes, games this big can be successfully injected.
Nintendo's little promotional demo thing ran perfectly fine.
Perfect Dark, another 32 megabit cartridge, will inject fine, but it actually makes the emulator lag to half-speed in most areas. The shooting gallery in the training area ran at full-speed, though, as do some random transitions. And, as we've already observed with Pokémon Yellow, advanced usage of the waveform channel just doesn't work here, so the game is even more dead silent than usual, and you can't enjoy its voice acting. You can't make me playtest much more than that - it's so horribly, unbearably slow, even without the 3DS lagging it out.

s1nharvest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't did thorough testing, but all the GBC games I've played have booted and are playable, as follows: Ghouls n ghost; Azure Dreams; Dragon Warrior III; Street Fighter Alpha; Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors; Rtype DX.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is it worth to buy Shantae to play GB/GBC games?

Also, would that kind of exploit be possibly adapted to function on NES/Genesis(aka Mega Drive) games?
NES games seem easier since they are from Nintendo VC but considering most of the 3D classics of Sega
are running on a sort of o emulator with a few tweaks I wonder if it would be possible.

SinkyChan17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cue the annoying post: I can't seem to get it to work. When I go to loadcode.projectpokemon.org, it just loads and loads. Doesn't crash. It was crashing before, and bringing me back to the home menu, but the game inject wouldn't work properly. I put code.bin and the rom.gbc in the ROOT of my SD Card. Is that correct..?

GameFreakDude

More gorgeous than any Hollywood star!
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I need to clear the browser's history and cookies every time I use it. Try that.

Also, would that kind of exploit be possibly adapted to function on NES/Genesis(aka Mega Drive) games?
NES games seem easier since they are from Nintendo VC but considering most of the 3D classics of Sega
are running on a sort of o emulator with a few tweaks I wonder if it would be possible.
It's worth it to buy Shantae in general, if you ask me.
Slightly educated assessment: NES sounds significantly more difficult, because each VC download is probably specifically optimised for that game's mapper. Injecting into 3D Classics is definitely impossible, because it's a "GigaDrive" emulator, not a Mega Drive emulator.

Reactions: thaddius

Gettwobirdsstone

Triforce Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cue the annoying post: I can't seem to get it to work. When I go to loadcode.projectpokemon.org, it just loads and loads. Doesn't crash. It was crashing before, and bringing me back to the home menu, but the game inject wouldn't work properly. I put code.bin and the rom.gbc in the ROOT of my SD Card. Is that correct..?
Some people have said, resetting the browser has worked, and other have said it doesn't. It worked for me. In the browser, go to the settings (the wretch icon), scroll to the bottom, click on initialize save data, click on clear all. Try restarting the VC game again, and perform further instructions from the readme.txt for the .bin file.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I need to clear the browser's history and cookies every time I use it. Try that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not a big fan of GB and GBC games and now I have zero money right now
but if this method is still working by the start of march I'll buy Shantae or whatever title it is recommended.

Slightly educated assessment: NES sounds significantly more difficult, because each VC download is probably specifically optimised for that game's mapper. Injecting into 3D Classics is definitely impossible, because it's a "GigaDrive" emulator, not a Mega Drive emulator.

Didn't know about the GigaDrive, it's a pretty impressive thing, creating a new platform just for emulating
Mega-Drive titles with a few patches is an intelligent idea and that may give Sega the chance to bring a lot of classic
games to 3DS with a lot less effort than porting the whole thing. I hope we'll see one day Sonic 2 and Sonic 3+Sonic&Knucles on 3DS.

s1nharvest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But aren't there regular(non-3d) Genesis and Gamegear VC games? At the very least Gamegear.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i looked at nes but the custom header Nintendo is using makes this really hard. im not sure if i want to continue.

We would all be glad to you if you did this.
Maybe if you created a patcher for the Rom where we patch it to use
Nintendo headers and then use the browser exploit it would be great
and easier then using just the original Rom, but I guess you already
thought about that.

SinkyChan17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is the method for loading GB games (with gameboy color palettes (like Pokemon Red, Blue, etc)) complex? I've been reading through and trying to see what other people have done and tried doing some things myself, but when it comes right down to it, I'm not the smartest when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Also, I'm half-way to understanding how I can have multiple bookmarks thus enabling me to load up to let's say... 3 roms so I don't have to swap my SD card every time (Although the fact that it works at all is rad as hell), but I'm wondering what I have to do on the loadcode side of things. Am I able to name the .bin whatever I want? I know this sound stupid, I'm just curious.. haha.

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well, considering shantae is currently the biggest game, yes, for gbc. You can only same gb > gb and gbc > gbc not gb > gbc (Correct me if im wrong) So, for gbc games get shantae, for GB get Donkey Kong Land 1, 2, or 3

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, considering shantae is currently the biggest game, yes, for gbc. You can only same gb > gb and gbc > gbc not gb > gbc (Correct me if im wrong) So, for gbc games get shantae, for GB get Donkey Kong Land 1, 2, or 3

What happens if I try a GB game on Shantae?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge.