Hacking Injecting GBC roms (for noobs)

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You don't super trim VC roms, they don't have update partitions. Also, you can create some of them as card1 roms, since (again) some of them can use a save file of 512kb (which is supported by card1).
The above means, you can just trim them without problems.

Mikecrowfone

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't super trim VC roms, they don't have update partitions. Also, you can create some of them as card1 roms, since (again) some of them can use a save file of 512kb (which is supported by card1).
The above means, you can just trim them without problems.

Do you know how bytes correspond to hex offsets?

For example, the section bolded. I understand the rest but not how 0xA02200 was obtained.

You want to make a new save location at the end of the ROM, so for explanation's sake let's say the ROM is 10494280 bytes, just over 10 MB.
Since the save pointer is in units of 0x200 each the save location needs to be dividable by 0x200. So the save has to be placed at 0xA02200, or 10494464 bytes into the ROM, I calculated this by dividing the trimmed size by 0x200 in the Windows calculator's programmer mode (as hex) and adding 1 to that number. The resulting number is the value you need to write to the header. In this example, that value would be 0x5011, but since the byte order is reversed in the ROM, the bytes written to the header would be 11 50. Replace the two bytes at 0x200 with that value.

As the VC saves are 1 MB according to the person above me, that's how many bytes you should insert at the end (after calculating the pointer you need to insert in the header)

I don't think I can explain any better than this.

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Can someone make a video on how to do this? I am lost!
Do I need a modded 3ds or gateway? IM SO LOST!

Edit:
Nevermind, I am stupid. I just skipped to the steps and did not read the first line.

Mikecrowfone

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I cant just regularly trim the rom and end of story?

No. For VC roms if you wish to trim, you have to perform some hex edits. Took me a while to understand and learn. Even then there are no guarantees that it will work. I tried to trim for Pokemon TCG did not work. Tried to build as card1 with norflash, did not work either.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just unpack with ctrtool and that's it.
Don't decrypt with xorpad because they're already decrypted (0-key encryption).
The thing is I have no idea of how to extract RomFS.bin with ctrtool.
I always get ExHeader and ExeFX, but RomFs never comes out.

EDIT: compiled it with visual studio and now everything's working

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically it can be any BBB Pokemon, not just Crystal. When I made those batch files, I only tested Blue.

Search the exact filename with quotes. A certain forum has all the BBB pokemon uploaded.

Sorry to bug you about this, but I think I found something I downloaded it, but when I try to extract it it asks for a password. Cannot move beyond that.
I dont know why finding this thing is a hassle.
thanks in advance.

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look at the rules at the place you got it from for a password. If it's where I am thinking then it is there in the forum rules.

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look at the rules at the place you got it from for a password. If it's where I am thinking then it is there in the forum rules.
Finally, after getting some kind of file, the file tells me it is broken everytime i try to extract it (with winrar. also tried zip). So i have nothing. The file i donwload is about 9 mb if that is right. Im not sure why it is so hard getting one of these.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Finally, after getting some kind of file, the file tells me it is broken everytime i try to extract it (with winrar. also tried zip). So i have nothing. The file i donwload is about 9 mb if that is right. Im not sure why it is so hard getting one of these.
Use WinRar 5.11.

alexenochs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there not a way for someone to make an automated application to resize these vc injections...ive made a crap ton of them in card 2 format and i dont wanna have to rebuild them all manually any takers for the proposition =P??

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got mine from the same place and with the newest winrar and the correct password they open fine.

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got mine from the same place and with the newest winrar and the correct password they open fine.
I finally figured it out, thanks. (I was inputting the password with an extra space at the end acting as a character. I deserve it for being lazy enough to copy and paste the password rather than write it out.)
I do have threel questions I would love answers to as well please:
1. How can I rename the game when it appears in my gateway menu? All my gbc games appear as pokemon crystal names. (even though i changed the name when i converted them).
2. Can i use this method for nes/snes games? If so, how?
3. How do I change the pictures and background of the games when it is in the gateway menu?

Thank a bunch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Yawn