Gaming Impressions on 3DS and games after the Amsterdam's event

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
KingVamp said:
Super Monkey Ball 3D: uses 3D and gyroscope in the same time which makes no sense at all because you loose the 3D effect all the time.
Your doing it all wrong...
laugh.gif
Yeah, They're doing it all wrong
tongue.gif

you must follow the screen where you turn it of course!

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
koji2009 said:
Midna said:
The Gamecube version is a port.

Actually, no it wasn't. The Gamecube version was an emulation... The emulator used for GCN was hacked and later used to play a few other games (thought the compatibility was pretty low).

Think of it as the fore runner to the Virtual Console emulators on the Wii as that's almost certainly what it was.

While it's hard to tell for 100% certain without having touched the game myself, OoT 3D definitely looks to be a remake and not a port, but that's not to say it's not impossible that it's an upgraded port... You can port a game from the Wii, use most of the same code but update the models/textures/effects to and release it as a PS3 or 360 title (in fact there are a couple such examples of that). That doesn't make it necessarily a remake.

You really do have to get hands on and actually look at a game in motion at the very least (and much more likely dive into the actual game code) to tell for certain when so much is changed... As I said before, it looks to me like a remake and not a port, but it's not a guarantee... No discussion on the GCN one though, that is most definitely an emulation
wink.gif
*Knocks head*
What am I saying? I have the collector's edition and Master Quest. I always laughed at the loading screen to Majora where they make lame excuses for the slowdown. I guess I meant a port would look more like that. In any case, this is completely different. Yes, everything is updated. But what I noticed in particular is that the interiors of houses are no longer still images, but true environments that you can see with the 3D. That wasn't in the original engine.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Samurai Goomba said:
Ocarina of Time 3D is not a port.
It is.

Traverse96 said:
machomuu said:
QUOTE(Nathan Drake @ Jan 31 2011, 10:23 PM) The graphical capabilities are significantly better than the PSP. Previews already bypass anything the PSP could ever do. Who ever generated these impressions isn't very good at judging things apparently.
Honestly, I was thinking this, too.

Yeah, especially when they say that SSFIV is “Very comparable to the home consoles version”, and that Resident Evil “Really shows off the power of the 3DS”, all this after saying the graphics are on par with the PSP. Whoever wrote this article could not make up their mind.
A Capcom(?) Rep on the floor at the NYC event in January said it was a straight port of the console versions.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
SoulSnatcher said:
Nollog said:
Samurai Goomba said:
It is.
No it isn't.
Unless you consider Super Mario 64 DS to be a port.
rolleyes.gif
Everyone should.

Adding things doesn't make it any less of a port.
Look at RE:4. Everyone called it a port.
How is it different when Nintendo themselves do it?

ImpulsE69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the cost and that less than stellar lineup and what the games will cost, I may just pass on this for awhile. It's not that great. Mostly rehash. 3D is a gimmick, I'd like to think Nintendo can get past that, but it looks like mostly its a bunch of "been there before, do it again with 3d" Makes me sad.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
A port tries to keep all the original assets/content of the original game. A remake takes the basics of the original, and adds newer assets/content.

Take Resident Evil for the GCN. That is a remake, not a port of the original PS1 game. Orcarina of Time 3D falls under the same category.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just glad that the 3D effect isn't too much. Two hours straight of pure 3D goodness?

My faith in the 3DS has been restored.

ImpulsE69 said:
With the cost and that less than stellar lineup and what the games will cost, I may just pass on this for awhile. It's not that great. Mostly rehash. 3D is a gimmick, I'd like to think Nintendo can get past that, but it looks like mostly its a bunch of "been there before, do it again with 3d" Makes me sad.
You DO know that Nintendo purposefully let 3rd parties take the shine in the launch, right?

They already have 1st party titles finished and ready. They'll release in time.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Nollog said:
SoulSnatcher said:
Nollog said:
Samurai Goomba said:
It is.
No it isn't.
Unless you consider Super Mario 64 DS to be a port.
rolleyes.gif
Everyone should.

Adding things doesn't make it any less of a port.
Look at RE:4. Everyone called it a port.
How is it different when Nintendo themselves do it?

Just as this:
Bionic-Commando.jpg

is a port of this? :
bionic-commando-ps3-2.jpg

(sigh)

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Slyakin said:
I'm just glad that the 3D effect isn't too much. Two hours straight of pure 3D goodness?

My faith in the 3DS has been restored.

ImpulsE69 said:
You DO know that Nintendo purposefully let 3rd parties take the shine in the launch, right?

Quite so, they're trying to escape how everyone thinks the DS and Wii have like 12 first party games and nothing else decent.

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slyakin said:

It's more like: they had to release the product before April 2011 in order to fall into the previous fiscal year.

The hardware might be polished and all, but the software ??? They've postponed RE: Mercenaries, they've postponed Kid Icarus, they could not even make it on time with internet browser. The online services are most probably nonexistant.

And it's not like the 3rd parties are "shining". SSFIV, DoA and PWR seem to be great, but that's it: another shitty Asphalt, another shitty Ridge Racer, another shitty Monkey Ball with idiotic controls. Boring Steel Diver.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
pachura said:
They've postponed RE: Mercenaries
Nintendo don't make resident evil.

pachura said:
The online services are most probably nonexistant.
They're on the system. SSF4 has them.

QUOTE(pachura @ Feb 3 2011, 11:28 AM)
Boring Steel Diver.
That's not 3rd party, but yeah it is boring.

Issac: what's that?

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
So yeah, I went to the Nintendo 3DS event in London on Saturday, and had a good play with some games. Overall impression is that it is a pretty impressive piece of kit.

The hardware felt lovely to hold. It felt more svelte and sturdier than a DS Lite. The Slidepad felt great, and accurate. The buttons just beneath the screen are not completely flush as they appear, but when you run your finger over it, there is a small bump that clicks when you press it in, i.e, the Start button. The whole thing appears a lot smaller than what it seems on camera or in media. I also thought the screen could have been bigger. As far as the 3D on the device is concerned, you had to find a comfortable 'sweet spot', but once you did, it felt very natural, and there was no strain. If you move the 3DS about 5cm away from your direct field of vision, then you get the 'double-vision' effect.

Games I thought were outstanding on the 3DS were:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5AH2FoE5L0

Zelda: Ocarina of time - This looked gorgeous!! Check the video above, filmed from the London event! The models, animations and 3D effect were brilliant, and contrary to what was said earlier in this thread, I disagree about it being disappointing. It was probably the most impressive game I played on the day, very bright, 60fps, sharp and colourful. I was never drawn into playing the Original that much, but once I started this, I found it hard to put down, and was made to after the 'Thank you for playing' demo limit message popped up on the screen. The game is A LOT better than I expected.

Super Street Fighter IV: WOW, I really never expected to see anything this good on the 3DS, but I was blown away with how crisp is looked, especially with the 3D effect switched on all the way. The depth slider all the way up adds extra details IMO. The animation is fluid, and everything seems here! The only thing I noticed were that backgrounds are static. I was taken by surprise at one point, when someone managed to join into the game who was standing close to me at the event. It was so seemless and fast joining that we didn't even notice until we both reached the character select screen, and our 3DS's synchronized. I played in Dynamic mode, which gives an pseudo over the shoulder view, and the opponent is in the distance, and he played classic side-by-side. Next to Zelda, I want this game bad!

Resident Evil: Mercenaries - This looked great, the 3D effect wasn't as impressive, but the game handled and played very well. Feels weird playing a 3rd person shooter on something that feels like a DSLite! I enjoyed it though, and can see it being addictive in multiplayer.

Ridge Racer - Again, contrary to earlier opinion, I quite enjoyed this, especially with the 3D effect switched all the way up. It makes the track and scenery seem really far away, and a better sensation of speed. They also have nitro boosts in the game. What I don't like is that they still have the same physics as the very first ridge racer, so when you spin out, your car swerves side to side unrealistically.

Face Raiders! - This was one of the Augmented Reality games on show, so much fun! It is a silly same where you take a picture of your head, and it gets superimposed on other peoples bodies as you swivel the camera around. I like the way that the eyes and mouth are animated in 3D when you shoot the head, or when it goads you on.#

AR Card game: There was an augmented reality game where a card was put on the table with a ? block. You hold the 3DS about 35cm away, and things start coming out of the block which you start shooting at. I like how you can go 'around' the objects in real time, and shoot stuff. A dragon sprouts out of the block eventually and you can walk all the way around it shooting off parts of its body.

Biggest disappointment: Rabid Rabbits - this game was a shit platformer, really shit! It was weird seeing this on display when everything else was so good!

I have been convinced, and for me now the 3DS will be a day one purchase!

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
MizuInu said:
Samurai Goomba said:

The model of Link is a bit different and change compare to the original.

It is a shinier update port of the original N64 but in 3D and higher resolution texture compare to the original.

I 3rd that, it definitely is not a port, i played it myself..it looks amazing!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse