Tutorial  Updated

Importing Gateway saves to cia games

Switching from Gateway to CFW can be a pain, especially since all your saves were created on Gateway. There's only one way to get those saves to be usable on cia games, and that's to decrypt the saves and eventually import them in the end. It's a very tedious process, but worth it in the end to be able to keep all your saves you worked hard on for so long. Gateway has become more and more obsolete, with CFW being more convenient to work with. ESPECIALLY Arm9loaderhax!

This will guide you on how to convert Gateway saves, and import them into cia games. For those who want to abandon Gateway, or those who still want to keep Gateway but use CFW.
No other guide for this existed so I figured I had to create one.
Be sure you have PLENTY of time to work on this, you'll also need a ton of patience for this!

Thanks to @zhdarkstar for the tip about using JK Save Manager for just about everything! Made the guide ten times easier than it was before.

Requirements
JK Save Manager
CTRXplorer (Can also use FBI)

I. Preperation Steps

1. Right click and copy all your .sav files, paste them anywhere on your computer as backup

2. Make a new folder on your SD card, call it something like "Gateway saves"

3. Copy one of your .sav files into this folder

4. Look up that save file on 3DSDB to see what game it is

5. Rename that .sav file to
0004000002C23200

6. Make a new folder and name it to whatever game it is
Example:
SD:/Gateway saves/Super Mario 3D Land/

7. Place the 0004000002C23200 sav file in this new folder you just created

8. Repeat steps 3-7 until every game is setup this way. Can take a while to go through depending on how much saves you have, be really patient.

9. Download JK Save Manager.cia, and CTRXplorer.cia then place them anywhere on the SD card

II. Exporting & Importing the saves with JK Save Manager

1. Install all the cia games you need, for the games you're going to import saves with

2. Launch each and every game one time, allowing it to initialize which creates save data. Again, this takes a LOT of patience to go through

3. Install JK Save Manager and CTRXplorer cia's using any cia manager you like. Assemble them near the game cart icon on the home menu for quick access.

4. Open CTRXplorer and browse into the Gateway saves folder, then into one of the game folders

5. Copy the 0004000002C23200
sav file (Instructions on top screen, should be Y to copy), then press B twice until you're on the SD's root. Paste the file here using the Y button (Say yes to replace if the file already exists)

6. Press home and close it. Press select to open Gateway's rom menu and choose the game you're about to work on, but don't go into the game

7. Open JK Save Manager, go to "Cartridge", then choose "Export save". Name it anything such as a date ex: 5-8-16

8. Once you exported the save, go back to the main menu and choose "SD/Cia". Find the game and choose "Import save"

9. Repeat steps 4-8 until every game's save is exported then imported. You'll need extreme patience for this, as this is the only way to decrypt the .sav files.

10. Launch some of the games to confirm that the save did indeed transfer successfully.
11. PLEASE make a backup of ALL the backed up saves from JK Save Manager, by uploading them to Google Drive or Dropbox!! This way your saves are forever safe!

About Card2 games
Certain games are card2 type games, where the save file is stored inside the cartridge. In our case, the save is stored inside the rom itself. Games like Pokemon XY/ORAS, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Tomodachi Life, Zelda Tri Force Heroes are card2 games. They don't produce a .sav file on the SD card like card1 games.
To export card2 saves, carry on by selecting the rom then using JK Save Manager to export the cartridge's save. Then import the save in SD/Cia.

Trivia
- Gateway saves are encrypted, so you can't export the save until you first renamed it to 0004000002C23200 and place it on the root. Since you can't have more than one of the same file name in one directory, you gotta work on these one by one. In this process, you're decrypting the saves.

- Some games like Fantasy Life and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy store their primary save data in "Extdata". If you plan on using the same NAND in the end, you don't have to worry about exporting/importing that.

- Saves from JK Save Manager, can be used by just about ANYBODY, from any region. They're highly universal and valuable to share on saves threads. Post them if you like to contribute!

Last edited by MattKimura,

Boomerams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was having the CTR Broken problem and was able to get it working by using 0004000002C2330 for the save file name. Just a heads up for anyone else having an issue and wants to see if it works for them as well.

Seikirengan1601

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
So if i want convert sav file fantansy life, i must follow the instruction or different way? Because when i export sav data it say "error opening archive"

mouse100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi I need your help. I played in past with a gateway 3ds and a Pokemon sun ROM so I saved my game. Now I switched from gateway to luma3ds and I downloaded a cia version of Pokemon sun and I installed it. I tried to launch it for the first time to create a savegame and then I closed it. Later I tried to copy the pokemonsun.sav inside the SD card (one of the JK folder, I don't remember which one) I installed jk's save manager to import the .sav into the Pokemon cia but then I launch the game it tell me the save is corrupted. Is there a way to restore the gateway save file inside the pokemon CIA?

Pabidabowie

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Same as Maximoff " Hi everyone. Finally a way to make my Gateway save work on A9LH CFW. But I have a huge problem, I don't have a Gateway catridge anymore. I'd like to know if someone could convert my save file. I can send it to email. Its a Bravely Default with 40+ hrs..."

I have a many hours (not sure how much exactly) save of Bravely default and I don't own a gateway anymore, I still have the encrypted .sav file though, could someone be kind and convert it for me please?

Last edited by Pabidabowie,

noX1609

B9S freak ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there a way to do it the other way? Because i have my savegames backuped with JKSM and now i want to use them with the 3ds version on my Gateway Cart.

c4388354

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i lost my save of dragon quest 7. please can you convert this file save of the gateway to file for CFW? Please help me
i don't have gateway but sky3ds+ and luma.
Please! sorry for my english

@samarigo

Attached JKSM exported save, copy the 'DRAGON_QUEST_VII' into 'SD:\JKSV\Saves\' and import the "018EF" save game.

Attachments

• DRAGON_QUEST_VII.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 402
Last edited by c4388354,

Przemn

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey guys,

I have similar problem - I did luma hack and found out some time later that my old saves will no longer work. I still have a Gateway card ( red, can't find the other one ) and sd cards backup so I restored my 3ds to the previous state ( sysNAND restore using hourglass9 ) but seems Gateway is not working anymore. Any ideas how to make it work again? :/

Problem solved - for anyone interested - https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/

Last edited by Przemn,

zunder

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey,

I used a DSTWO Plus flashcard with GW plugin and 4.20 Firmware. Now I switched to CFW and of course didn't convert my save files. So now I am on the newest firmware version and am afraid to start the GW plugin with my DSTWO Plus, as I am afraid of a brick. What could I do in order to convert my files safely? It's actually just two games:
Fire Emblem: Awakening and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. If someone dares to convert it for me, it would be awesome as well.

Iceteapeche

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey guys I'm on Luma + A9LH on firmware 11.x GW is not supported yet, so I can export my saves... I do have the .sav files, I would really appreciate if someone could do the JKSM converting for the following Phoenix Wright : Dual destinies' save.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 00040000000F1E00.zip
    283.3 KB · Views: 243

Starboy

Trophies
XP
Country
India
hi guys i just installed cfw on 11.3 and i am loving it , i was using sky3ds plus before and i have the sav files so how do i tranfer them to the cia games i installed on console

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
hi guys i just installed cfw on 11.3 and i am loving it , i was using sky3ds plus before and i have the sav files so how do i tranfer them to the cia games i installed on console
You have to use JKSM, it's a bit of a complicated process but follow https://gbatemp.net/threads/importing-gateway-saves-to-cia-games.425743/ but replace where it says "go into Gateway mode and select the game so it shows in the cartridge slot" just to "put it your Sky3DS and select the game so it shows in the cartridge slot".

DavidinCT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, tried and looked over and over with out any luck....still confused so maybe someone cold help. I have 2 issues here. I have tried exporting and importing and no matter what nothing is working for me.

I have Physical carts, when I plug them in, I get my save games working (3 games I am really interested in.... Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D land and New Super Mario 2)... When I play the CIA of the same game I installed, it's like it's a new game.

Then I have a Sky3DS+....how do I use some of my "sav" games from there an import them in ?

Edit: I think I figured it out... (how to get cart to CIA)

Last edited by DavidinCT,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
OK, tried and looked over and over with out any luck....still confused so maybe someone cold help. I have 2 issues here. I have tried exporting and importing and no matter what nothing is working for me.

I have Physical carts, when I plug them in, I get my save games working (3 games I am really interested in.... Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D land and New Super Mario 2)... When I play the CIA of the same game I installed, it's like it's a new game.

Then I have a Sky3DS+....how do I use some of my "sav" games from there an import them in ?
Did you export the save game from the physical cart and import to the cia version? For the Sky3DS, follow this guide but when it says to select the game with the multi rom menu, click the button on the Sky3DS until the game shows, instead.

Reactions: DavidinCT

omgidfc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got tired of waiting on an update for 11.3 for Gateway so I updated to Luma3DS, man what a great decision. Problem is I have one save I really need from Mario and Luigi Dream Team. Any chance someone could convert this for me? Thank you very much...

EDIT: I do not have the physical cart for this game.

Attachments

• 00040000000D5A00.zip
    444.2 KB · Views: 223
Last edited by omgidfc,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all