Import Duty taxes?

Discussion in 'Online Stores and Purchases' started by SonicOR, Dec 11, 2016.

1. SonicOR
    OP

SonicOR Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2016
    Hello there,

If I place an order (2 flashcards for 3ds) with nds-card.com and the item is shipped to the UK through DHL, will I have to pay any duty taxes at Customs? Same question for other types of shipping (registered airmail).

Many thanks in advance

2. Boogieboo6

Boogieboo6 @realDonaldTrump

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    I don't think you'll have to pay duty taxes. But may I ask what flashcards you're getting? With more and more progress in the 3ds scene, you'll soon be able to load pirated nds games on 3ds without the need of a flashcart. You can already play downloaded 3ds games on the 3ds through custom firmware.

3. SonicOR
    OP

SonicOR Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2016
    sky3ds and r43i ds

4. Boogieboo6

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    You could try this guide. If you can follow it, you can play all the 3ds games you want as well use homebrew tools. It still has to be updated for use with the newly released Slowhax. That means you can (hopefully) use that guide on any console and get a custom firmware without a hardmod or second 3ds. If you can't follow it now, check it again in a day or two. You could still buy those flashcarts if you really wanted to, but I recommend you don't.

SonicOR likes this.
  5. SonicOR
    OP

SonicOR Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2016
    Many thanks for your advice, will definitely have a look. I am just a little bit afraid of messing with my 3ds when it comes to firmware.
    If anyone knows about import duty taxes in the UK for flashcards from ads-card.com or any past experience, I would be grateful.

6. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    whoops, please delete

Last edited by Jack Daniels, Dec 11, 2016 - Reason: whoops, please delete
  7. Boogieboo6
    This message by Boogieboo6 has been removed from public view by raulpica, Dec 11, 2016, Reason: Requested -rp.
    Dec 11, 2016
  8. SonicOR
    OP

SonicOR Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2016
    Anyone? From what I have read, customs do not really care for small packages like flashcarts. But any input from U.K. users would be very useful.

9. Boogieboo6

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    Check out this thread. It doesn't look like they care about flashcarts. Though the guy lives in the USA while you're in the UK.

SonicOR likes this.
  10. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    As far as I can tell, no one in the history of the USA has been charged one penny of customs duty by USPS for a video game.

SonicOR likes this.
  11. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Wouldn't be suprised if you get hit with customs using DHL, even with a small package. It's mostly small packages using standard airmail etc that get through without being hit for VAT. Using DHL I would expect to be paying VAT + DHL's ransom fee for doing the job they are being paid for.

12. SonicOR
    OP

SonicOR Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2016
    But on what price would they base any kind of VAT? This is usually based on invoices but I guess that Chinese sellers mark the parcels as gifts with a value below 30£/30$