iMenu step-by-step set-up tutorial

Discussion in 'NDS - Tutorials & FAQs' started by Terminator02, Oct 20, 2010.

Oct 20, 2010
    • Newcomer

Garro New Member

Message Count:
    Chile
    Can somebody reupload iMenu beta 3 icon template? The MF (and only) link is down.

• Podcast Crew

Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

Message Count:
    United States
    I just checked and I'm afraid I don't have it :(

@Cannonfoddr might
    • Newcomer

E.Chu Desu.

Message Count:
    United States
    Although I'd love to follow this tutorial, I've noticed that the HTML in this tutorial isn't being rendered correctly in Firefox 16.0.2 or Internet Explorer. Among the numerous issues involve static <href> tags, static <br> tags, and the use of deprecated and invalid HTML. In itself, the visual blowout makes the tutorial impossible to follow.

More worryingly, broken HTML appears to be a problem for me across the entire site!

I don't wish to offend the maker of this unequivocally brilliant tutorial, but the issue appears endemic to threads made by Terminator02. I was browsing across another thread utilizing embedded HTML and was able to view it without problems.

I'm guessing that a </HTML> or a </code> tag is missing within the complexity that is the initial post.

In the meantime, the OP could:
    • use the post editor to achieve near comparable effects
    • display images at the bottom with the post editor
    • use the underline function of the post editor to refer to exterior links

Attached Files:

Last edited by E.Chu, Nov 18, 2012. Reason: Added Detail.
    • Podcast Crew

Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

Message Count:
    United States
    I'm aware of the problem. The post was switched from BBCode to html in the GBAtemp v3 upgrade, so I just enabled HTML. The problem is I don't have HTML parsing permissions in GBAtemp v4. I've already brought it up with the staff.
    • Newcomer

digdug6367 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I would REALLY like to read this tutorial, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE FIX IT ? Thank You
    • Podcast Crew

Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

Message Count:
    United States
    My other posts have mysteriously been converted back into BBCode, I'm guessing that someone is running them through a converter and manually changing it. If so, it's only a matter of time.
    • Newcomer

barbonneau New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    Anyone can help me install Imenu on my ds.
    the guide is hard to follow since the screen shot are down.
    Any video how to or pdf guide.
    Thanks
    • Podcast Crew

Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

Message Count:
    United States
    It so happens I made a video guide a while ago, but it uses this page, so you will have to do some link hunting in the HTML.

• Newcomer

barbonneau New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    thanks a lot for all your help
    • Newcomer

jwmghf New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Thanks for the tut. It worked gr8!!!!!
    • Newcomer

fatty77 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the work everyone has put into this. I'm still trying to get used to things but I'm starting to pick up how to customize the menu.

I think I found a template in the icon pack by vatoloco

located at: 11558-LocoGuapoMultiPackoDeVato\LocoGuapoMultiPackoDeVato\iMenu Icons
    "50x50 iMenu icon_template"

Still having trouble trying to figure out gimp 2.8 to make custom icons but I'm getting there.
    • Newcomer

fatty77 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I'm having trouble with this last sequence. It is like it won't merge the layers properly and I'm getting this image (trying to replace the GBA image):

[IMG]

Gimp 2.8 won't let me save as a .bmp, just export as a .bmp. So I will first save it as .xcf. Then I will select 'Image' > Merge Visible Layers'

The options I get for "Final Merged Layers should be:" are 'Expand as necessary', 'Clipped to image', and 'Clipped to bottom layer'. I've tried all of them and I'm still getting the same thing. I also leave 'Discard invisible layers' unchecked. Any recommendations? I've also tried other things like 'Layer' and then 'Anchor Layer' or 'Merge Down' and still no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the icon I'm trying to get the transparency on:
    [IMG]

2ndApex New Member

Message Count:
    United States

I got the exact same problem trying to make my own iMenu icons, I just gave up and used BAGPlug, it has a real file browser and cover packs+favorites is a LOT easier than having to create an icon and an ini file for every single retail game, rom, and homebrew program you want to run.

Creating fake NDS covers is a lot easier than icons too and kinda fun lol

CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Ok - been a while since I last looked at this, but I THINK I may be able to help those trying to export the icons as BMP in GIMP 2.8. Seems like a few changes since I last used GIMP

I've not tried it yet (My DS is 'on loan' & not sure when I'll get it back) but can some1 try this method & see what happens. Let us all know your result

INSTEAD of Now 'File' > 'Save as' > 'whatever you want to call it.bmp' > Merge visible layer/Export > Save

Try this:-
    File > Export... > 'Whatever You Want to call it.bmp' > [EXPORT]

You should (I do) get a box pop up with 'Export image as BMP' as the title & '> Compatibility Options' and '> Advanced options' (you also should see a greyed out 'Run Length encoded' option)

Expand the '> Advanced Options' and check to see if 'X1 R5 G5 B5' is selected - if not, select it
    (If this doesn't work try one of the other 16-bit options, but I'm 99% sure that 'X1' refers to the 'transparant layer' info)

Then click [Export]

IIRC, iMenu cannot handle 24 or 32-bit graphics & GIMP defaults to 32-bit when exporting
    & since 32 is 'double' the required 16-bit required that is why I think you get that 'double image' effect
    • Newcomer

fatty77 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Thanks CannonFoddr, unfortunately it still didn't work. For some reason, when I switched to 16 bit for the iMenu software locked up when trying to load, which makes no sense. I will still play around with it eventually but I will just stick with the available icons for now. Thanks again.

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Ironically, today I got my DS back so had a chance to experiment myself.. seems like I was totally wrong :( - iMenu CAN support 32-bit graphics :yay:

So here's the NEW [newer?] instructions for GIMP 2.8.0......give them a try & let us know
    If it works for you then perhaps the OP can alter (or add) these to his post

--------------------------------------------------------------
    NOTE: All previous steps to actually MAKE the icon stay the same as original post
    - It's just the last line of the guide needs to be ignored & these steps used instead

File > Export... > 'Whatever You Want to call it.bmp' > [EXPORT]

You should get a box pop up with 'Export image as BMP' as the title & '> Compatibility Options' and '> Advanced options' (you also should see a greyed out 'Run Length encoded' option)

Expand the '> Compatibility Option' and make sure the 'Do Not Write color space information' is 'ticked'
    Expand the '> Advanced Options' and make sure 'A8 R8 G8 B8' is selected
    ^ These 2 lines are the newer instructions

Then click [Export]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

and heres the proof using the Gameboy Icon from the above post [showing in the bottom right corner]
    WARNING! Spoilers inside!
    (BTW - I just picked a random game for the shortcut for testing - that particular game is a DS & not a gba one :lol:)
    • Newcomer

fatty77 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    So close but still having trouble, here is the pic:
    [IMG]

Color still not coming out right, and for some reason it shifts the image over and if you look really close you can see the far right side of the image loop back over to the left side. Why, I have no idea. I thought it was the template but if I save it again through Paint it comes up fine but loses the transparency so I have no idea what it is. I might play around with more options later this week but I don't know. Thanks for your help though, it is really appreciated. Weird though.

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    That is weird - I can also see (if you look VERY closely) the graphic is actually slightly transparent as well as I can see the diagonal stripes of the background showing through it.

I WOULD say it might be either the GBA icon used (I 'saved image as' the one from your post #552, perhas the one you are using has altered somehow))
    or
    You've changed a setting in GIMP and forgot to change it back
    or
    we have different versions (I have 2.8.0 but I notice it's now up to 2.8.4) & there's a slight difference in how the newer version exports
    • Newcomer

Chalupacabra New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Having trouble with this install. Every rar I download of iMenu does not contain a _dstwo/dstwo.nds file to replace the existing file. After I follow the steps above, I end up with a bootable flash kart that boots a double white screen. Should I be using the EOS linked instead of the 12/24/12 release?
    • Reporter

VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

Message Count:
    United States
    try this one that BassAceGold recently updated. it should work for iMenu.
    http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/flashcart-files/download-dstwonds-20-03-2013-f31811.html