Gaming I'm not enjoying pokemon y :(

tofast4u

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3D animations of the battles are just amazing. Pokemon Battle Revolution's animations are 10x worst than this games, and that game was built just for the battling while Pokemon X/Y has an adventure and battling.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I'm not even remotely a fanboy--I buy these games months or years after they come out--but I always, eventually, get them and enjoy them.

I mean, what's not to like? They're all solid RPGs and generally well-made and, even if you discount that, they're very consistent experiences and there's not a damn thing wrong w/ that.

So unless these are somehow radically worse, you're probably tossing around the fanboy canard a bit too freely and thoughtlessly.
It's about their quality. Its about their identity.

D

Deleted User

X and Y was decent, I liked it myself, but the overall feel was just... decent. But I guess it's not as bad of a start as Pearl and Diamond, but then again, it's pretty hard to be worse. Looking forward to the third game in gen 6.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I thought I would finish it in a week and it was the only reason I bought a 3ds but it is sitting in my handheld collecting dust. I am just not enjoying it or getting into it as much as the older games. I don't know what the problem is. Am I just getting too old? I thought I'd be playing pokemon in my old age. Am I the only one who is disappointed?

Pokemon is a cute and accesible jrpg for kids. You grew up, you don't find it exciting anymore... It is natural.

It is not the cute part an adult doesn't like. I am an adult and i like some cute games (and mature games, it is their gameplay that matters). It is the accesible, AKA easy, shallow, boring part... You can win Pokemon just by pressing A all day, the only "difficult" part is at gyms where you just need to use the most effective pokemon to counter the specific gym's theme. Yawn...

There is nothing to like as you grow up. Your brain isn't stimulated as pokemon is no challenge. The story is literally for kids, nuff said. Graphics are nothing amazing, the sound too... Gameplay is repetitive and boring with lots of grinding. And as you grow up and your free time is limited, YOU GET TO HATE GRINDING...

So, all in all, it is normal that you don't like Pokemon anymore. You are not its target audience. It is a quite good game for kids, and i will certainly buy pokemon games for my children when the time comes. I will just not be playing them myself...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Is there a solid single player (offline) experience, or did they integrate too many online-only features that crimp the single player offline experience? I don't have internet at home.

spinner09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sort of felt the same way about X and Y. Too much copy/pasting from previous games, and nothing really new gameplay-wise (other than the nicer 3d graphics and models). Pokemon Silver/Gold remain the only games in the Pokemon series that added the most new content and gameplay mechanics. They were really a big step up from Red and Blue, and they felt fresh and exciting. Everything since then has been repetitive.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pokemon Silver/Gold remain the only games in the Pokemon series that added the most new content and gameplay mechanics.

OBJECTION
phoenix_wright__objection__gs5_by_superaj3-d5fi5wh.gif

Pokemon Contests: A staple part of the extra game play content in future games
Abilities: A huge part of pokemon game play, now flying type pokemon were no longer affect by the ground which made no sense, battles became a whole load more unique and each pokemon felt alot more individual. It allowed for previously written off pokemon to become helpful in different area's of battling. Battling simply wouldnt be the same without abilities
Natures: A boost in the IV/EV field and the first signs of the ability to train pokemon to perfection, it allowed you to maximize attack on physical beasts while making sure your fast pokemon were faster.
Double Battles: I need not say more, double battles are a huge advancement and spiced up gameplay alot. Its a whole different scene with a different meta to the single battles and allowed for completely different battle tactics and fun combinations. For the 1st time, support pokemon actually had a role on the battle field.
Pokemon: Gold and Silver hardly added any new pokemon and relied upon Kanto to fill its pokedex. Nothing else needs to be said
Notable minors:
The addition of actual colour
Running shoes, you were so damn slow and casual before gen 3
A dad, Yeah fathers actually exist
Dive. A great HM adding a new feature to gameplay and im sure loads of other moves/TM's were added like hail
Oh and weather conditions on the map, yeah its not just permanently mild weather everywhere forever.
A bad guy team who actually had an objective and personality. Rocket were sad and dry

That was just gen 3, and off the top of my head.

spinner09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OBJECTION

Pokemon Contest
Not really a staple addition. Just cosmetic fluff, I've been skipping most "contests" since ruby/saph.
Abilities
I'll give you this one. Abilities were important, but it wasn't apparent visually really. It didn't take a lot of effort for them to program into the game. They were also hideously inbalanced (and many of them still are).
Natures
This was such a minor (almost superficial) mod to the stats system, that it's not even worth mentioning.
Double Battles
Doubles battles were the worst thing to happen to Pokemon. They are boring, repetitive, and unessesary. They still annoy me to this day, and I avoid them whenever I can.
Pokemon
They added over 100 new Pokemon, how on earth is that considered "hardly"?
Notable minors:
Bullshit, Yellow was the first version with limited color, as it was released when the GameBoy Color came out. Gold/Silver were released afterwards in 1999 with full color support.
irrelevant, as you get the bike pretty early in gold/silver and can mount up any time with the Select button.
irrelevant
Dive. A great HM adding a new feature to gameplay and im sure loads of other moves/TM's were added like hail
No specific ones come to mind. And Dive was so damn useless, they immediately removed it from the next generation.
Oh and weather conditions on the map, yeah its not just permanently mild weather everywhere forever.
Gold/Slver had whether conditions. It even had a day/night cycle, which was awesome for its time.
A bad guy team who actually had an objective and personality. Rocket were sad and dry
I agree, but every new "bad guy team" are sad and dry. Game Freak are sucky writers, and they keep copy/pasting the same Team Rocket cliches over and over again into new games.

ßleck

Console Peasant
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Pokemon Contest
Not really a staple addition. Just cosmetic fluff, I've been skipping most "contests" since ruby/saph.
Abilities
I'll give you this one. Abilities were important, but it wasn't apparent visually really. It didn't take a lot of effort for them to program into the game. They were also hideously inbalanced (and many of them still are).
Natures
This was such a minor (almost superficial) mod to the stats system, that it's not even worth mentioning.
Double Battles
Doubles battles were the worst thing to happen to Pokemon. They are boring, repetitive, and unessesary. They still annoy me to this day, and I avoid them whenever I can.
Pokemon
Notable minors:
Bullshit, Yellow was the first version with limited color, as it was released when the GameBoy Color came out. Gold/Silver were released afterwards in 1999 with full color support.
irrelevant, as you get the bike pretty early in gold/silver and can mount up any time with the Select button.
irrelevant
No specific ones come to mind. And Dive was so damn useless, they immediately removed it from the next generation.
Gold/Slver had whether conditions. It even had a day/night cycle, which was awesome for its time.
I agree, but every new "bad guy team" are sad and dry. Game Freak are sucky writers, and they keep copy/pasting the same Team Rocket cliches over and over again into new games.

I'm going to have to agree with you. Gen II definitely added the MOST; Including breeding, shinies, new types and much more. However gen III looked so awesome the first time I saw it... I agree with everything Black-Ice said about it. Now, you said that gold/silver was the only game that added the MOST... And of course there can only be one game that adds the MOST, so that's why I agreed with you. But like I said gen III also added some exceptional stuff. Anyway gen I is still the best for starting the whole thing, so you're all wrong. :ha:
Pokemon
They added 99 new Pokemon though. I think only gen VI added less.

As for you OP, how dare you not enjoy a Pokemon game! I hope someone uses Will-O-Wisp on you. Seriously though, the game was decent, but I can understand why you might not like it.

R4Liam

Artsy Dude
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
I think I haven't been enjoying it because I have been through hard times recently and it has made me grow up and become more serious :( but I'm sure if I lighten up in the summer I might return to it. And yeah I might buy fire emblem or something more challenging.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning