Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Critical update:
- fixed last letter of a line sometimes not being displayed
- fb2: fixed paragraths containing tag not being displayed

and *experimental* epub support. It means if doesn’t work correctly it’s no wonder, if it works, yay, you are lucky. I only tested with two books.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tried a few epubs. Some loaded fine, others froze with a white screen and one gave the error "could not open epub".

It's a promising start.
yay.gif

Rukia-san

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The reader looks good and all but I have a big problem, indeed I have this error showing up randomly : Out of memory!

Flashcart: Acekard/Akaio 1.8.5a/4GB Kingston
IkuReader v0.031

I use fb2 ebooks.

I can't link my ebooks for it is illegal, no?

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rukia-san said:
The reader looks good and all but I have a big problem, indeed I have this error showing up randomly : Out of memory!

Flashcart: Acekard/Akaio 1.8.5a/4GB Kingston
IkuReader v0.031

I use fb2 ebooks.

I can't link my ebooks for it is illegal, no?
You can link the eBooks if they're public domain but not if they're still copyrighted material.

How big are the problematic fb2 eBooks? The creator already pointed out that files over around 1.5MB won't work due to the limited RAM of the NDS. If the eBook contains images try removing them - it worked for me.

chintoi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
QUOTE said:
If the eBook contains images try removing them
...or just convert it to txt.

Ok, the epub thing was a real rush.
But thanks to Depravo's help a lot more books can be opened now.
But it's still a rush. Heck, there's a memory leak in epub code and I don't know where exactly it is.

Rukia-san

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Depravo said:
You can link the eBooks if they're public domain but not if they're still copyrighted material.

Almost all of them are copyrighted but there is Sherlock Holmes which is free so here it is:
Link

Note:
The book load just fine the first time, I can read it for the longest time but when I made a bookmark and then tried the others and came back, I had the error, I rebooted my DSi and it works again but still sometimes its give me to same error, this apply to the others as well.

Depravo said:
How big are the problematic fb2 eBooks? The creator already pointed out that files over around 1.5MB won't work due to the limited RAM of the NDS. If the eBook contains images try removing them - it worked for me.

Generally from 740ko to 1.4MB

How do I remove the image cover?

...or just convert it to txt.
Will I still have the text effect? Bold, italic...etc?

Thanks for the answers guys .

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks really nice. I was working on something like this as a senior project a few years ago. Man it sucked compared to this. Wish I could have gotten it working. I envy you for doing so.

chintoi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
The reason for "out of memory" errors is heap segmentation (never figured such a thing existed before myself).
Here's how it works: e.g. you load 1.3 MB fb2, close it and try to load another 1.4 MB fb2 and fail, but it if you tried the second one first, you might succeed.

In short, sucks I am not a real programmer)

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
chintoi said:
The reason for "out of memory" errors is heap segmentation (never figured such a thing existed before myself).
Here's how it works: e.g. you load 1.3 MB fb2, close it and try to load another 1.4 MB fb2 and fail, but it if you tried the second one first, you might succeed.

In short, sucks I am not a real programmer)
You're doing OK so far. You've already created possibly the best e-book reader on the DS. It just needs a little fine tuning to make it perfect.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chintoi said:

In short, sucks I am not a real programmer) That would one of the issues I ran into. Man I wish I could help you out but never figured it out myself. Only guess I could give would be to make sure the RAM is cleared before opening a new file.

QUOTE(Depravo @ Jan 27 2011, 08:44 PM) You're doing OK so far. You've already created possibly the best e-book reader on the DS. It just needs a little fine tuning to make it perfect.
:'( I hate being a bad programmer......

chintoi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Update changed memory management. should get rid of a lot of 'out of memory' errors

gumbyx84 Not being a programmer and being a bad programmer are somewhat different things)

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
all this is great, but no use to me unless .epub books are supported.

I have a library for my reader, some 200 books all in .epub format. They work great on my Kobo ereader. it would be nice to read them on my DS, but i suppose the ereader beats the DS by miles.

yeah, what am i rambling on about.
EPUB file support would be NICE!

Rukia-san

Trophies
XP
Country
France
chintoi said:
Update changed memory management. should get rid of a lot of 'out of memory' errors

gumbyx84 Not being a programmer and being a bad programmer are somewhat different things)

Thank you very much, I hope this update will get ride of the random error.

Keep up the good work.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chintoi said:

Glad to hear you were able to fix the memory issue.

Yes, not being able to program and being a bad programmer are different things. I'm somewhere in-between. I know how to program, but just about everything I learned in college was theory. I have little hands-on experience coding for many platforms (NDS included) and haven't been able do so on my own.

I'm just a little jealous as I was working on something like this before, but it fell through the cracks. Sorry for whining in your thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.